• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller's aide #3 ?

On the questions about the Traveller's Aide Series.

1: No one will lose ANY issues that they have on their subscriptions.

2: Traveller's Aide #3 will be coming out, hopefully, next week with #4 closely behind it.

3: We were delayed in getting out the TA's because we were TRYING to get out the THB. You must relaize alos with the crush of the holidays, we were definately delayed because of it.

4: Our apologies for the delay.

5: With the release of TA #3 and #4, we hope to get back on a regular schedule for the TA's and the COTI site updates.

Thank you for your paitence.

Bruce Runnels
Quiklink, Interactive
RpgRelams.com
The Man Behind the Curtain

Hi, Thomas, and hello all. No worries about your post - I'm pretty frustrated by the whole situation, and I hope that I didn't come across as taking that frustration out on you.

I'm glad to see that this thread is getting attention, and hopefully, the problem will be resolved as QLI's becomes aware of that attention.

As far as this goes:

Originally posted by Bruce:

Traveller's Aide #3 will be coming out, hopefully, next week with #4 closely behind it.

[/QB]
I'll believe it when I can download the product. Maybe my doubt will be proven unfustified - I hope so, but for now, I remain unconvinced.

Y'all take care, now, ya hear?

Lo again COTIU1138,

Nope, you did not come across as taking your frustration out on me. Just trying to find out what occurred that resulted in my original post on the topic.

Originally posted by COTIU1138:
Hi, Thomas, and hello all. No worries about your post - I'm pretty frustrated by the whole situation, and I hope that I didn't come across as taking that frustration out on you.

I'm glad to see that this thread is getting attention, and hopefully, the problem will be resolved as QLI's becomes aware of that attention.

As far as this goes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bruce:

Traveller's Aide #3 will be coming out, hopefully, next week with #4 closely behind it.

I'll believe it when I can download the product. Maybe my doubt will be proven unfustified - I hope so, but for now, I remain unconvinced.

Y'all take care, now, ya hear?[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by COTIU1138:

Maybe my doubt will be proven unfustified
What's unfustified? I don't know. I suppose I meant to say, "unjustified." Dagnabit.</font>[/QUOTE]You are adding to the English language by combining frustrated and justified. Thus meaning not being frustrated and not justified at the same time;)

Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
You are adding to the English language by combining frustrated and justified. Thus meaning not being frustrated and not justified at the same time;)
Ahhhhh... I see!

You are full of wisdom, Mr. Rux...

;)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
You are adding to the English language by combining frustrated and justified. Thus meaning not being frustrated and not justified at the same time;)
Ahhhhh... I see!

You are full of wisdom, Mr. Rux...

;)
</font>[/QUOTE]What a polite phrase for being full of BS, and not the academic degree;)

FYI, there are about 3 of us regualrly involved in QLI products. Most of the wiords come form me, but Hunter has to do all the project management and actual "business" stuff, and Bruce is art & layout except when things get spreasd out between us.

Now, we have made mistakes with our estimates of when we will produce this or that book. Some things that seemed simple became a nightmare. This is a very young company and we don't have the experience to predict timing very well. It is getting better, but there is a lot to learn.

We let Travellers' Aide slide a little so that other bottlnecks could be worked through (like the Gateway book and the rules themselves).

We're now trying to get back on track, and maybe our estmiates will be more accurate in future.

Those are the facts, do with them as you will.
And BTW: I'm not sopeaking for the others but I worked on the Starfall book on Christmas Eve and Boxing day.

IE: it's not for lack of effort.

Originally posted by MJD:
Those are the facts, do with them as you will.
And BTW: I'm not sopeaking for the others but I worked on the Starfall book on Christmas Eve and Boxing day.
I seen this "Starfall" book mentioned a couple of times - I'm curious to know what it's about and what it's for? T20? TNE? Fiction? Any details at all?? :D

Originally posted by Shane Mclean:
Originally posted by Evil Dr Ganymede:
See this thread for a submission request:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_to pic;f=2;t=000041

Shane
Ah, thanks. Sounds nifty. Ten worlds is probably a darn sight more manageable that having to deal with the backdrop of the Imperium

Hey, all. Thanks for the word, MJD. I understand that things aren't going as planned, but I wish that QLI would post something on the website.

I e-mailed various folks at the company, and when I got enough vague responses, I finally asked for a refund. This request continues to be unanswered. The request I sent, I sent to Hunter, about whom you said:

Hunter has to do all the project management and actual "business" stuff
Apparently I sent the message to the right person, so I'm concerned that my request has gone unacknowledged. I believe that there really isn't a good excuse for that.

You also said:

Now, we have made mistakes with our estimates of when we will produce this or that book. Some things that seemed simple became a nightmare.

We let Travellers' Aide slide a little so that other bottlnecks could be worked through
I understand that yours is a young company, and that there is much to learn. Please let one of those lessons be that, should you run into such obstacles, inform your customers - especially those who have paid in advance for a particular product that is so deeply affected by such problems.

I certainly understand your plight, and I believe that most reasonable people do. I don't expect everything to run perfectly, and generally won't get upset when they don't.

For instance, the Traveller's Handbook was significantly late, but I retained my confidence because QLI updated the web site with information on the status of the product.

The TA3 delay has remained unmentioned on the site, the only official source that some of us know about. Compounding this is the time limit imposed on subscriptions, and it is this concern that makes me want my money back. There has been no official mention of the time limit and how the issue will be resolved.

I am not so concerned with the actual delay, but with the impending expiration of my subscription. I am willing to wait for a quality product, and thus far, QLI has released nothing but good, solid, gaming material.

I am a huge fan of Traveller, and I think that QLI has done an outstanding job of adapting the rules to the d20 system. I only wish that the company would keep its customers informed about the TA problem as it did with the Traveller's Handbook delay.

Let me close (finally) by again saying that I think your products are quite good, and I've been hounding my gaming store guy to start carrying the Traveller product line. You do good work, just keep those us who have paid you better informed.

Take care, and thank you for the post!

I mentioned it in my LAST post here.

Your subscription will not run out!!!!!

If you still want your money back that is fine.

I will find out about the delay on returning your emails.

Bruce Runnels
Quiklink Interactive
RPGrealms.com

Originally posted by Bruce:
I mentioned it in my LAST post here.

Your subscription will not run out!!!!!

If you still want your money back that is fine.

I will find out about the delay on returning your emails.

Bruce Runnels
Quiklink Interactive
RPGrealms.com
Yes, I do want my money back. I know that you "mentioned it in [your] LAST post here." Where my money is concerned, a "mention" on an informal discussion group means very little.

I apologize if I seemed rude.

We are not trying to rip anyone off.

If you send me your email addy I will pass it along to hunter and he has already said he'll give you a pro-rated refund.

Send your email to Bruce@rpgrelams.com

Bruce
Quiklink Interactive
RPGrelams.com

Hi, Bruce! Thanks once again for the response. I'll send you the addy.

Again let me say that the Traveller T20 material that I have seen has been great - you have a fine product.

While I'm no longer comfortable with the subscription, I'll very likely buy the printed Traveller's Aide "best of's" that are mentioned on the site. I'm still a big fan, but the electronic subscription thing just isn't working out.

Take care!

Bruce,

I've expressed interest in contributing to the Starfall Cluster book. Once the general outline is done, I believe that MJD will be coordinating with those of us who are interested in contributing, and things will move forward from there.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have an idea of the quarter of the year in which the Gateway book will be released? I made contributions to that, as well, and I'm very curious to see what made it in and what didn't.

Thanks in advance,
Flynn

I am not sure WHEN the exact date is. But I can tell you I am making a final pass over of the manuscript now. The book is written, the book has been edited by MJD's valiant editor and I am going over it looking for any last spelling errors or what not.

The next step is final approval by Hunter of the manuscript and then it's off to layout.

just to give you a teaser, the book is not laid out and it's running at 168 pages. That does not include the 40+ page adventure that will also be included.

just some teasers there for you.

So again, the exact date? That is unknown. There are ALWAYS vaguries when it comes to bringing so many divergent parts together.

So take heart, it's going to be another big book of very good setting material.

Bruce
Quiklink Interactive
Rpgrealms.com

Bruce,

Out of curiosity, what does layout work entail? Obviously, QLI isn't the only publisher to have issues with layout work, so there appears to be a need in the marketplace for such skills. While it may or may not be something I can do (most likely not, but you never know), I must admit I am curious about it.

Also, thanks for taking the time to give us feedback on the various projects that are going on.

Hasta,
Flynn

Lay out work.

How to explain layout. LAyout is the LOOK of how all the pages in a book...well...look.

Open the the THB and look athe borders and where the charts are and how the paragraphs flow around htem and where thepictures are and stuff of that nature. That is LAYOUT.

So, to use an example, the person who does the lay out uses programs ont he computer, takes the text and lays them out on a page, how to say it, PLACES the text on the page and figures out how it all should flow. Puts art in places that ENHANCE the presentation of the book. Also the layout artist, because it can be an art, to make everything look sterlinghas to make sure that tables and charts are near their appropriate text etc etc.

So, with the THB for example, you have an idea of how hard it was becauset he book was SO big.

ANd, after layout the book comes back to be looked at to see if it is approved and then it's off to the printer.

That is what layout is, in a pinch.

Bruce
Quiklink Interactive
Rpgrealms.com

Back