• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller's aide #3 ?

Originally posted by Bruce:
Lay out work.
Just out of curiosity, what application/platform do you use for layout work?

How long is this likely to take, given QLI's limited resources? (This is not meant as a slight in any way - having worked in small businesses, I know that this is always an issue.)

I've worked in layout in the past (primarily in FrameMaker and to a lesser extent in PageMaker and Quark) and would be happy to offer my services if this were desirable and practical at your end.

cheers,

thom

Sorry, Bruce,

I should have been more specific. I understand the basic concept of Layout work, but I don't have any idea as the skillset required to perform it. I'm a great technical person, but I have no training in design philosophies, etc., and so was wondering how much of an impact the artistic/design side of things had on the overall process.

Still, it looks like you might get some volunteers to help out, if QLI is open to such.

Thanks,
Flynn

I'm not Bruce, but I used to do some layout work, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth.

To me, good layout work requires an eye for readability, functionality, and basic aesthetics; as well as a working knowledge of the tools you're using to do the layout with.

Readability is just that. Can I easily read the final product? For example, I'd give the THB good marks for readability. Simple, readable font with good spacing over a plain background. On the other hand, most WotC D20 products would get lower marks in this area, particularly the D&D books with all the text printed over graphics.

Functionality is a bit more difficult to both explain and to achieve. Basically, does the layout allow the product to do what it was designed to do? In the case of an RPG that means are the rules organized in a way that make sense, and is it easy to find the information that I need? Using the same examples, I'd give the THB slightly lower marks in this area when compared to the WotC books, but both follow a fairly logical structure. Anyone who has been around gaming for a while has surely run across books with poor functionality, where you had to go to four different chapters just to find out all the factors involved in one action. This is mainly the editor's job, but the layout person has input, and often it can be the same person doing both jobs.

Aesthetics is probably the most subjective of the three. Basically, "does it look good?" I also think it's the least important factor in layout as it doesn't matter how pretty it is if you can't use it or even read it. I think the WotC books emphasize aesthetics over readability, and their products sometimes suffer for it.

Last week Hunter said that if everything went well issue 3 would be out be the end of the week, and issue four this week.

Obviously everything didn't go well, eh?

This thread is the reason I'm haven't bought the travellers aid books yet. That, and I have no use for book 2. Now some one said that book 4 should follow book 3 by about a week, so personally, i'm planning on waiting for book for to come out, then I'll pick up books 1,3,4 all at the same time.

Originally posted by MJD:
TA 3 is now out....
Am I the only one who has TA2 listed as two separate issues? I logged in to download 3, and was told I had 9 issues (of a 12 issue subscription) left -- BEFORE I downloaded #3!

Originally posted by Robert Prior:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MJD:
TA 3 is now out....
Am I the only one who has TA2 listed as two separate issues? I logged in to download 3, and was told I had 9 issues (of a 12 issue subscription) left -- BEFORE I downloaded #3!</font>[/QUOTE]Yes. My six issue sub worked fine.

Originally posted by Cphonxs:
This thread is the reason I'm haven't bought the travellers aid books yet. That, and I have no use for book 2. Now some one said that book 4 should follow book 3 by about a week, so personally, i'm planning on waiting for book for to come out, then I'll pick up books 1,3,4 all at the same time.
In defense of TA2: Beyond the fact that this is really good fiction, there are some good adventure ideas in there, especially for those of us who are "creatively challenged" ;)

Dave

Just wanted to add that Rose promptly replied to my email concerning my elibrary subscription & TA#3.

She had the problem fixed in minutes.

Kudos to Rose!

Thanks for posting that. It really helps to have both "I have a problem" and "problem is fixed" mails on the boards. It looksd better than just the former.

Originally posted by MJD:
Thanks for posting that. It really helps to have both "I have a problem" and "problem is fixed" mails on the boards. It looksd better than just the former.
Not a problem at all. My wife has run customer service groups and I've run engineering groups that handled problems that have been escalated right out of customer service.

When problems are identified and fixed quickly, that's really good. It's amazing to see how often that doesn't happen in the computer industry.

Two nightmare problems I had with Palm Corp. Customer Service leap to mind. Very simple problems that turned into long drawn out horror stories because 1st line tech support ignored the basic problem.

That's another rant though. Nothing to do with the quick response I got from Rose.

Back