• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Type M Subsidized Merchant

Timerover51

SOC-14 5K
While looking through the 1977 edition of Book 2: Starships to see if fuel purification plants onboard ships were mentioned, I came across this design on page 19.

Subsidized Merchant (Type M): Using the type 600 hull, the type M subsidized merchant has 30 staterooms (nine for the crew: pilot, navigator, medic, three engineers and three stewards; 21 for the high and middle passengers) and eighty low passage berths. The ship has jump drive-J, maneuver drive-D and power plant-D, making it capable of jump 3, and 1 G acceleration. Computer model/3 is installed adjacent to the bridge. Cargo capacity is set at 124 tons, and fuel tankage will contain 190 tons. Three hardpoints are specified for the hull, and three tons are reserved for fire control purposes. The hull is not streamlined for atmospheric landings. Base price for the type M is CR 219,870,000.
I do not remember seeing this type again, just the standard Type R Subsidized Merchant of 400 tons. This is about what I envision the standard subsidized merchant in my Piper-Norton sector, and I was wondering if anyone has ever used this as a basis for a design. The major difference I would make is having it be streamlined for landing, similar to the Type R shown in Supplement 7: Traders and Gunboats. I will be making some other changes, but it makes a good starting point.

While looking through the 1977 edition of Book 2: Starships to see if fuel purification plants onboard ships were mentioned, I came across this design on page 19.

I do not remember seeing this type again, just the standard Type R Subsidized Merchant of 400 tons. This is about what I envision the standard subsidized merchant in my Piper-Norton sector, and I was wondering if anyone has ever used this as a basis for a design. The major difference I would make is having it be streamlined for landing, similar to the Type R shown in Supplement 7: Traders and Gunboats. I will be making some other changes, but it makes a good starting point.
This looks like the Subsidized Liner, to me.

It became the type M subsidised liner in future editions.
Subsidized Liner (type M): Using a 600-ton hull, the subsidized liner is a passenger
and freight carrier committed to long-haul routes. It has jump driveJ, maneuver
drive-C, and power p1ant-J. Fuel tankage for 210 tons supports the power plant and
allows one jump-3. Adjacent to the bridge is a computer ModelI3. There are thirty
staterooms and twenty low berths. No turrets or weapons are installed, but there
are three hardpoints and three tons are set aside for fire control. The ship has one
20-ton launch. Cargo capacity is 129 tons. The hull is unstreamlined.
The subsidized liner requires a crew of nine: pilot, navigator, three engineers,
three stewards, and one medic. The pilot operates the launch; gunners may be
added to the crew list as required. The ship costs MCr236.97 and takes 22 months
to build.

If the vessel was of a fairly modular design then there's likely mixed business (passengers and cargo) as well as a cargo carrying version out there. Given it's subsidised, different patrons, governments or organisations will have different needs that could all be based off one hull design.

Back