• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Type Y2 and Y3 Yacht

Brandon C

SOC-13
The thread on the Type Y reminded me that a J1/1G unarmed ship wasn't really appropriate to the non-3I, pocket empires campaigns I prefer. I have designed J2 and J3 versions, for CT and MgT.

Here is the CT J2 version.

Y2 Yacht: 200 tons, Jump-2, 2-G, 60 tons fuel, Model/1bis, 12 staterooms, 2 harpoints, 2 triple turrets (2 beam lasers/1 missile rack each), air/raft, ship's boat, 9.5 tons cargo. Unstreamlined. 6 crew.

MCr 89.415 (w/discount). 12 months.

Crew consists of: pilot, engineer, medic, steward, 2 gunners.

And the CT J3 version:

Y3 Yacht: 200 tons, Jump-3, 2-G, 90 tons fuel, Model/3, 7 staterooms, 2 harpoints, 2 triple turrets (2 beam lasers/1 missile rack each), air/raft, launch, no cargo. Unstreamlined. 6 crew.

MCr 113.94 (w/discount). 12 months.

Last edited:
And here are the MgT versions, although I'm using a modified CT format for the write-up.

Y2 Yacht: 200 tons, Hull 4/Structure 4, Jump-2, 2-G, 48 tons fuel, armor 2, Model/2 w/basic civilian electronics, 14 staterooms, 1 low berth, 2 harpoints, 2 triple turrets (2 beam lasers/1 missile rack each), briefing room, library, air/raft, ship's boat, repair drones, 13.5 tons cargo. Unstreamlined. 6 crew. MCr 89.935.

Y3 Yacht: 200 tons, Hull 4/Structure 4, Jump-3, 2-G, 72 tons fuel, armor 2, Model/3 w/basic civilian electronics, 9 staterooms, 1 low berth, 2 harpoints, 2 triple turrets (2 beam lasers/1 missile rack each), briefing room, library, air/raft, launch, repair drones, 6.5 tons cargo. Unstreamlined. 6 crew. MCr 104.275.

you can outfit a luxury suite and support facilities on the lower deck of the erin-class, there's a deckplan for you.

One concept would be a hundred tonne hull which would be built as a luxurious vessel, if a tad compact in some areas, that would allow the owner onboard to easily handle the ship, enjoy being masterful and commanding, and impress the latest local lass that he either leased or loaned.

I've designed a pair of yachts based on this consideration. They're here in the Fleet section.

One concept would be a hundred tonne hull which would be built as a luxurious vessel, if a tad compact in some areas, that would allow the owner onboard to easily handle the ship, enjoy being masterful and commanding, and impress the latest local lass that he either leased or loaned.

I was actually playing around with a similar concept at one point. It was a 100 ton 'scout variant' called a Ranger, for nobles who wanted to project an air of rugged individualism.

I put scout variant in quotes because it was not truly a scout variant as no real noble would use anything as crass as a converted ship. Instead it was built to resemble a scout ship with similar performance characteristics. However it was built with such changes as top of the line custom engines in order to optimize use of space and larger stateroom floorplans for nobles and guests. The room to the port of the engine room could be converted to 2 double occupancy staterooms for pilot, engineer, steward, and medic, used for general storage, or used to store a wheeled ground vehicle, among other things.

It would use whatever configuration the type S uses (since it can vary a little between rules versions).

It might also be configured as a flying wing, since the owner onboard is more likely to go dirtside.

I'm wondering if based on that notion, could a 100Ton version of the 200Ton Safari Ship be a possibility, given certain 'deletions' of features for such a reduction.

starting by a comment. 1 steward on a luxurry yatch is not enough. Most likely the Gunners and Medic will be Stewart or bodyguard for dirt side endeavour.

Somebody rich enough to own a Star Yacht has a personnal Butler or manservant,

So it would be
1 personnal Steward.
1 general steward-medic
1 general steward-gunner
1 gunner-driver-bodyguard

Given a Lord & Lady couple, an additionnal Stewardess ( Chamber-Maid/Cameriste)

The private servants should not count toward 1 for 8 steward ration for high passage rating.

Beside, what is the actual mission of the yatch? Now a day, they are toys.
In OTU they are aslo private transport, making them, at time, more like corporate jet.

If they are Space Grade Recreationnal Vehicule to Holiday about your starsystem, figure family space and avoid the imensedly expensive J drive and wastefulll J-fuel space. A commercial jump shuttle service will be good enough for a bit of off system travel once every two or three years.

If they are mobile command center for a local noble managing multiple estate spread through the system, office and staff space are to be provided.

If you want that yatch to bring you twice a year to Regina from 3 x J-2 or 2 x J-3 away, the J design parameters are totally differents than a casual jumper.

If you play an investor that plan to sell time sharing scheme or plan to rent it when not on board, some marketing consideration will come to play.

have fun

Selandia

I'm wondering if based on that notion, could a 100Ton version of the 200Ton Safari Ship be a possibility, given certain 'deletions' of features for such a reduction.

In MgT, you might be able to get in 7 staterooms, while having J2 and 2G. No, I was looking at modifying the scout/courier, not safari ship. In CT, There would be too little space for passengers.

In regard to a safari influenced design, you could keep it mostly on an open plan, especially if the owner onboard plans to be solo or have only special companions over.

Or maybe have a specific mancave or playpen, that could be secured.

In regard to a safari influenced design, you could keep it mostly on an open plan, especially if the owner onboard plans to be solo or have only special companions over.

Or maybe have a specific mancave or playpen, that could be secured.

In MgT, you can build a 100 ton streamlined yacht with Jump-2, 2G performance and 8 staterooms. Toss in a library and meeting room from High Guard and you have the basics. No small craft, just an air/raft. For my campaigns, I'd add armor 2 and a triple turret, but in OTU this is 3.5 more tons of space for use.

You always want to be somewhat cautious about having lots of open space on a starship, even if it is a yacht. Decompression doesn't care how big your wallet is.

That doesn't mean you can't have big rooms, just that you want to be able to seal off individual areas.

The bridge, garage bay and the engine rooms would be obvious choices to wall off, if only for noise and aesthetic reasons.

T5 ship designer

Is there a good T5 ship designer program out there some place. I thought I found one but I couldn't figure it out.

I found this fantastic high guard program... But it does not MT design rules nor the SJG Traveller rules either... I only say that because I found this great yacht in the Nobility source book edited by Loren Wiseman--it is a 100ton J6. Its for 1 crew and one pass.... But but when I tried to put into the HighGuard system program it didn't work. :(

I found this fantastic high guard program... But it does not MT design rules nor the SJG Traveller rules either... I only say that because I found this great yacht in the Nobility source book edited by Loren Wiseman--it is a 100ton J6. Its for 1 crew and one pass.... But but when I tried to put into the HighGuard system program it didn't work. :(

I assume it has 1G M-Drives. I think that performance combo will only work in GT. In CT, you are using 60 tons for jump fuel and 20 tons for the bridge, which doesn't leave enough room for the actual drives and a stateroom. It also won't quote fit in a 100 ton hull in MgT either. No idea about orher Traveller versions.

Is there a good T5 ship designer program out there some place. I thought I found one but I couldn't figure it out.

:(

T5 would have 77 t for fuel and machinery J-6 M-1, subject to Advanced -ultimate model modification according to TL. Since J-6 is TL15, do not expect a gain here at TI's TL.

For the remaining 23 dT, T5 will ask you to add every bell and fitting but, no more 20t of % based bridge. T5 allows you to have a "bridge" with a single cramped console: 0.5 dt and a 0.5 dt computer; with a crew + courrier space of 2 dt: 0.5 for the shared fresher, 0.5 for the med console and 0.5 for each spacer bunk. Your crew may become insane and will have miserable success modifiers, but you sure could "sardine can" them in T5.

have fun

Selandia

OOPS..... damn memory .... J 6 = C J-drive = 20 t + 60 T j-fuel + 6 t pp fuel+ 10 C Poplant= 2 t Mdrive = 98 t.

Last edited:
T5 would have 77 t for fuel and machinery J-6 M-1, subject to Advanced -ultimate model modification according to TL. Since J-6 is TL15, do not expect a gain here at TI's TL.

For the remaining 23 dT, T5 will ask you to add every bell and fitting but, no more 20t of % based bridge. T5 allows you to have a "bridge" with a single cramped console: 0.5 dt and a 0.5 dt computer; with a crew + courrier space of 2 dt: 0.5 for the shared fresher, 0.5 for the med console and 0.5 for each spacer bunk. Your crew may become insane and will have miserable success modifiers, but you sure could "sardine can" them in T5.

have fun

Selandia

As I recall T5, however, your ship could actually be 149 tons and still use 77 tons for the drives and fuel. It would just be considered 'overweight'. That would leave you with 72 tons for bridge, living spaces, etc.

As I recall T5, however, your ship could actually be 149 tons and still use 77 tons for the drives and fuel. It would just be considered 'overweight'. That would leave you with 72 tons for bridge, living spaces, etc.

yes, and I made a mistake, it would be ...see above.... so 98 dt before the crew and control, you may as well use the fat version

have fun

Selandia

Last edited:
Back