• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

variant without the Ancients moving humans

BwapTED

SOC-13
I'm going to post some ideas I've been kicking about for my own version of the Traveller universe.This is based on the milieu of the published Traveller universe, but numerous things have been altered, added, or removed.

The stuff I'm working on assumes that all humans originated on Earth, and that the Ancients never came along and seeded mankind across the stars.

There are genetically altered variants of humanity on some worlds. There are no races of 'supermen', though.

I haven't decided about psionics, but I'm inclined to ditch it.

The Sylean Empire

This is my version of the Third Imperium.

Sylea is often referred to as “Capital”; in much the same way an East Roman citizen might have referred to Constantinople as “The City.”
Just like the canon 3I, the Sylean Empire has jurisdiction over star ports and outer space, but doesn’t interfere heavily in the domestic affairs of member worlds. It does, however, impose a small number of basic laws, similar to the ‘high laws’ of the canon 3I. The ban on slavery only applies to chattel slavery. Indentured servitude, convict labor, debt peonage, etc. exist on some worlds.

The culture of Sylea is important out of proportion with the actual numbers of people living on Sylea or their descendants. The early colonists were a fairly conservative lot, displeased with the direction of things on Terra and in some of its colonies. They developed a system of hereditary rule and titled aristocracy. Sylean culture is very rank conscious, family oriented, and traditional. It is an honor culture. It is also a culture that readily assimilates outsiders who adopt its ways.

The Empire has an official state religion, the Sylean Catholic Church. Sylean Catholicism is the descendent of a late 21st century Terran ecumenical movement that combined elements of the Roman Catholic, Anglican, and Eastern Orthodox churches. There is no equivalent to a pope- the church is governed by a council of senior clerics, with some involvement from the Emperor. There have been periods of caseropapism in the Empire. Church and the Imperial State are, for the most part, mutually supportive. Membership in the Church is almost universal among the upper classes on Sylea, but it is not actually required of imperial subjects (except on a few worlds or for certain Imperial offices). If you want to climb in society or get a high government position joining the Church is a good move.

Other religions are generally tolerated.

Imperial Mega-corporations are similar to those described in canon Traveller sources.

The Solarian Federation

This is my version of the Solomani Confederation.

The name is inspired by the ‘Solarian League’ from the “Honorverse.” I’ve recently read the first two books.

Solarian ideology is very different from Sylean concepts. The Federation government has long promoted a sort of “Manifest Destiny.” It is the destiny of Mankind to conquer the stars. Aliens are regarded as inherently inferior to humans. Human excellence is exalted, as is the power of Man’s technology. Classless meritocracy and democratic republicanism are touted as superior to ‘old fashioned’ or ‘backward’ social structures. Terra/Old Earth is the rightful capital of humanity. ‘These ideas are embodied in the Federation-wide Solarian Party. The Party is like the PRI of Old Mexico, a big tent united by certain basic ideas.

There is no official religion, and powerful organized religions are discouraged unless they support the political system.

Despite the best efforts of Solarian propagandists, many individual citizens and even some whole worlds do not really accept the Party’s ideology or authority. Rebels, freethinkers, and other ‘antisocial types’ may just suffer job discrimination in public sector, or they may actively be persecuted. Some worlds are under martial law and have been so for generations, because the recalcitrant locals refuse to conform or obey.

Although the Federation is in theory a federal democratic republic, it’s really an oligarchy ruled by Solarian Party officials and high ranking military men (officers have to join the Party to get promoted very far, so the distinction between the Party and the military can get blurry). The same families have held important offices for generations. A sharp young man may be able to rise by playing the game well.

The Party General Secretary, a lifetime position traded among a few prominent political families, is the de facto head of government. In contrast, the elected Federation President is a nearly powerless figure. The Federation Congress is a largely corrupt and ineffective body with powers that are broad on paper, but are sharply limited in reality. Most really important decisions are made by the senior Party bosses and the General Secretary.

The loss of Terra to Sylean forces was a major blow to the Federation. It provoked a massive round of purges, in which the ‘traitors’ responsible for Terra’s loss were killed, exiled, or tossed out of power. The ordeal actually rejuvenated the flagging Solarian Party. The violent conquest of Mankind’s First Home has proved to be a wonderful distraction from economic troubles and political corruption. Calls to reoccupy the home world are frequently issued in official propaganda. The Empire is framed as the great enemy. In recent years, the calls for action have grown more strident, and the party bosses may soon find that they have to act or face a serious loss of confidence.

COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME. :)

I'm going to post some ideas I've been kicking about for my own version of the Traveller universe.This is based on the milieu of the published Traveller universe, but numerous things have been altered, added, or removed.

The stuff I'm working on assumes that all humans originated on Earth, and that the Ancients never came along and seeded mankind across the stars.

There are genetically altered variants of humanity on some worlds. There are no races of 'supermen', though.

I haven't decided about psionics, but I'm inclined to ditch it.

The Sylean Empire

This is my version of the Third Imperium.

Sylea is often referred to as “Capital”; in much the same way an East Roman citizen might have referred to Constantinople as “The City.”
Just like the canon 3I, the Sylean Empire has jurisdiction over star ports and outer space, but doesn’t interfere heavily in the domestic affairs of member worlds. It does, however, impose a small number of basic laws, similar to the ‘high laws’ of the canon 3I. The ban on slavery only applies to chattel slavery. Indentured servitude, convict labor, debt peonage, etc. exist on some worlds.

The culture of Sylea is important out of proportion with the actual numbers of people living on Sylea or their descendants. The early colonists were a fairly conservative lot, displeased with the direction of things on Terra and in some of its colonies. They developed a system of hereditary rule and titled aristocracy. Sylean culture is very rank conscious, family oriented, and traditional. It is an honor culture. It is also a culture that readily assimilates outsiders who adopt its ways.

The Empire has an official state religion, the Sylean Catholic Church. Sylean Catholicism is the descendent of a late 21st century Terran ecumenical movement that combined elements of the Roman Catholic, Anglican, and Eastern Orthodox churches. There is no equivalent to a pope- the church is governed by a council of senior clerics, with some involvement from the Emperor. There have been periods of caseropapism in the Empire. Church and the Imperial State are, for the most part, mutually supportive. Membership in the Church is almost universal among the upper classes on Sylea, but it is not actually required of imperial subjects (except on a few worlds or for certain Imperial offices). If you want to climb in society or get a high government position joining the Church is a good move.

Other religions are generally tolerated.

Imperial Mega-corporations are similar to those described in canon Traveller sources.

The Solarian Federation

This is my version of the Solomani Confederation.

The name is inspired by the ‘Solarian League’ from the “Honorverse.” I’ve recently read the first two books.

Solarian ideology is very different from Sylean concepts. The Federation government has long promoted a sort of “Manifest Destiny.” It is the destiny of Mankind to conquer the stars. Aliens are regarded as inherently inferior to humans. Human excellence is exalted, as is the power of Man’s technology. Classless meritocracy and democratic republicanism are touted as superior to ‘old fashioned’ or ‘backward’ social structures. Terra/Old Earth is the rightful capital of humanity. ‘These ideas are embodied in the Federation-wide Solarian Party. The Party is like the PRI of Old Mexico, a big tent united by certain basic ideas.

There is no official religion, and powerful organized religions are discouraged unless they support the political system.

Despite the best efforts of Solarian propagandists, many individual citizens and even some whole worlds do not really accept the Party’s ideology or authority. Rebels, freethinkers, and other ‘antisocial types’ may just suffer job discrimination in public sector, or they may actively be persecuted. Some worlds are under martial law and have been so for generations, because the recalcitrant locals refuse to conform or obey.

Although the Federation is in theory a federal democratic republic, it’s really an oligarchy ruled by Solarian Party officials and high ranking military men (officers have to join the Party to get promoted very far, so the distinction between the Party and the military can get blurry). The same families have held important offices for generations. A sharp young man may be able to rise by playing the game well.

The Party General Secretary, a lifetime position traded among a few prominent political families, is the de facto head of government. In contrast, the elected Federation President is a nearly powerless figure. The Federation Congress is a largely corrupt and ineffective body with powers that are broad on paper, but are sharply limited in reality. Most really important decisions are made by the senior Party bosses and the General Secretary.

The loss of Terra to Sylean forces was a major blow to the Federation. It provoked a massive round of purges, in which the ‘traitors’ responsible for Terra’s loss were killed, exiled, or tossed out of power. The ordeal actually rejuvenated the flagging Solarian Party. The violent conquest of Mankind’s First Home has proved to be a wonderful distraction from economic troubles and political corruption. Calls to reoccupy the home world are frequently issued in official propaganda. The Empire is framed as the great enemy. In recent years, the calls for action have grown more strident, and the party bosses may soon find that they have to act or face a serious loss of confidence.

COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME. :)

if no Ancients seeded man across the stars, why are the worlds of the Sylean Empire out of solarian control? when did they seperate? Is ther a "long Night" Equivilent? were they ever under Solarian control? If not, why not?

if no Ancients seeded man across the stars, why are the worlds of the Sylean Empire out of solarian control? when did they seperate? Is ther a "long Night" Equivilent? were they ever under Solarian control? If not, why not?

Many worlds were first settled by slowships. FTL came later. In more than a few cases the slowship colonists arrived after FTL colonists hwo left much later had already arrived and set up shop! The Solarian Federation didn't form until sometime after FTL. It never ruled all the worlds of the Empire, but some worlds have changed hands between the two great powers. There were no human star empires before FTL. FTL has improved over time, with 'longer jump legs' and improved j-space navigation. I don't think I'll bother with an interstellar Long Night, but many worlds were isolated for as long time before FTL ships made contact with them. There have been smaller downturns and periods of chaos in various parts of charted space.

Last edited:
I like it.

As prep for my TNE campaigns, I had done a bunch of stuff for the Turin Consolidation, with roots from the Interstellar Wars and had a Sylean Church/See offshoot in a similar way.

I rather like the idea that Space is empty and humans by their own bootstraps colonize the stars. That essentially was the world of Blue Planet - which died a premature death. But, one of the supplements that was to come out was to have the wormhole be a transit tube for many civilizations when they could show the maturity to reach space travel would be a step toward ascension.

But, the whole problem with that it reaks of Asimov/Lovelock Galaxia thesis which takes some of the hardness away. As I prefer Clarke's Songs of a Distant Earth - this all makes for great fiction and a mini campaign but only as a diversion.

Alternately, you could go with Terra Sol's Twilight Sector - where yes, the Ancients did move humans but far, far from Chartered Space, so as not to cause any problems with crowding. Then you get a venerable United Nations in Space with 20cen analogues in Space. I want to see something like Kim Stanley Robinson in the local neighborhood but yet to find a RPG or series of novels that really do it for me.

Back