• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vector Movement in Jumpspace.

Ackehece

SOC-13
T5.09 same page...

Movement Vector Can Be Changed
A ship can change its speed and direction while in jump space. Vector change requires non-gravity-based drives or devices; gravity-based drives (due to their need to interact with gravity sources) are generally ineffective.

Vectors Are Preserved.
Conservation of momentum applies to ships as they enter and exit jump space.

Therefore:

Does this mean your vector on exit is original but curves toward the new vector (sum of the vectors) upon exit, the new vector on exit, or does it mean you can actually move around jump space?

My understanding of this:

Seems like if you don't change anything at all, not heading or acceleration, your vector upon entry is preserved on exit.

If the jumping ship has a non-gravity-based drive, you could change your vector while in jumpspace. While in jump you change the ships heading and pour on more acceleration for the change. In jumpspace this has no real effect, but at the moment of exit, your vector is different than it was when you entered.

If you've got a gravity-based Mdrive, then you need to wait until your ship precipitates out of jumpspace before you can do any adjustments, as your ability to change headings and accelerate are based on proximity to gravity sources... of which their are none in jumpspace.

Similar to my supposition as well, vector becomes the one set in jumpspace, but it did occur to me that there is ambiguity in the statement.
Sum of vectors was also my other thought.
Vector change is a result of an action, it doesn't change without an action.

T5.09 same page...

Movement Vector Can Be Changed
A ship can change its speed and direction while in jump space. Vector change requires non-gravity-based drives or devices; gravity-based drives (due to their need to interact with gravity sources) are generally ineffective.

Vectors Are Preserved.
Conservation of momentum applies to ships as they enter and exit jump space.

Therefore:

Does this mean your vector on exit is original but curves toward the new vector (sum of the vectors) upon exit, the new vector on exit, or does it mean you can actually move around jump space?

I presume that it means the former, since Jump Space has always seemed to be characterized as having an alien dimensionality as compared to Normal Space, except within the Jump Bubble maintained by the J-Drive. The positional and velocity vectors of J-Space seem to be "undefined" (i.e. "complex-valued") or "probabilistic" relative to normal space as evidenced by the disconnect between Jump travel time and distance (i.e. a jump or misjump does not have a 1:1 relationship between time "in the hole" and distance traveled, and an intervening mass along the jump-vector will cause precipitation from Jumpspace after the normal 168 hours, but at a wrong position).

The change in momentum vector of a reaction-mass/rocket drive equipped ship in jump space is definable as the relative change in momentum between the ship and the expelled reaction-mass. This must be preserved and accounted for upon exiting jump space if momentum is to remain conserved.

Just ignore the fact you are in jump space. Plot your new vector using the vector resolution system of your choice.

On exit from jump space you have whatever your new vector is.

That's the simple version. The more 'realistic' version will involve tensors...

While in Jumpspace, non-gravitic thrust can be used to alter the vector.

visualize a line through the entry and exit points. at entry, draw the vector from the entry point, and then draw it from the exit point, so it's parallel.

If you have non-gravitic thrusters of some form, any use of them while in jump is added to the end of the exit vector, which you then measure from the exit point to the tip of for the new vector.

Now, in T5, this is the first time that it's explicit you can modify the exit vector while in jump.

Note also, for most systems, there will be a pair of entry-exit points that put the outbound and inbound as 1 direction burns to overcome the differences in stellar motion with the jump either starting or ending with the flip. (or, if only gravitic drives, the jump is the flip.)

Back