• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Venus as the Moon

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
No, I was thinking more as 'solved' as in 'found a way to stick a habitable planet in a system that shouldn't really have one'. As in the brown dwarf companion orbited by the canonical Antares mainworld remember?
Oh, that solved...! Right.
Well, we only solved that so we could blow it up afterwards, but that didn't quite work out... pity as we did a fair bit of work on that. We managed to figure out exactly what would happen when Antares went supernova. Only problem was that the aftereffects would wipe out considerably more than the 6 pc radius we'd initially assumed...

Maybe we'll do something with that someday, I dunno.

Okay, thanks! The planetary system described in First Cycle has now joined Burrough's Barsoom in my science fantasy catagory. Don't get me wrong. I still like both stories, I've just pushed them further down the probabilty scale is all.
Well, the story is what counts in those cases. I don't mind reading about such things even if I know they're not realistic. ;)

A couple of tidally locked Earth like planets could be quite an interesting find in Traveller or 2320. There's the reason for the realistic version.

What Tom's proposing would make an excellent setting for a Traveller/Adventure! hybrid I've got in mind...

Would it work if they were as far out as Mars' orbit but around a much older star so the habitable zone has extended?

Or would they have to be further out?

Ok, in the past, Earth's Moon was only half the distance from Earth that it is now. Back Then the Earth was not tidally locked with the Moon, it was that fact which pushed the Moon further out in its orbit in the first place. Venus at the distance I mentioned produces only 70% more tidal force than the Moon does in actuality, but the Earth actually did experience tidal forces of that magnitude in its past and it didn't lock with the Moon. Perhaps the equation which Malefant cites, but I have not seen is a little off.
I'm allowing for a margin or error of +100% and Venus's tides come under that. It just seems hard to believe that if the Earth's Moon had the same density as Earth, the Earth would be tidally locked with it. Forgive me, but I suspect Malenfant is trying to be a pooper, if not then his equation is simply wrong. That's my reasoning anyway. Besides, equations didn't stop George Lucas from putting Gas Giants within the habitable zone of a star (The Star Wars Movies)when planetary formation theory said that this couldn't happen. Later on gas giants were indeed discovered very close to stars, Astronomers said they couldn't form their and so they modified their theories to account for close in gas giants. I'm doing something similar here with the Venus-moon. I hope most of you can accept this.

Bill Cameron said,
Dr. Thomas,

No, I was thinking more as 'solved' as in 'found a way to stick a habitable planet in a system that shouldn't really have one'. As in the brown dwarf companion orbited by the canonical Antares mainworld remember?
No, I think this Earth-Venus model will work, don't give up on it just because Malenfant says so. As I said, in the past the Moon was only half the distance from Earth that it is now, all that this means is that the Earth's rotation was slowing at a greater rate and so had to have been spinning faster in the past. All I'm saying is that in this alternate Earth, the rate of the Earth's spin is slowing at a greater rate than it does with merely lunar tides. The Earth's inhabitants can live with this as their life spans aren't long enough to be affected by the slowing down of Earth's rotation. As for the existance of the Earth-Venus system, that could be explained if you assume that the relationship between the two planets is not as old as the Solar System, or if the Solar System is in fact younger and life developed more quickly. Perhaps the astronomers on Earth in this Universe are perplexed by this too. Under the science fiction scenario, this is just one more mystery to be solved. The fact is though, you can have the Earth experience greater tidal forces than it is now and yet still rotate with respect to the satelite.

Ran Targas said,
^ Go for it Tom! Make it fun! Post it so we all can enjoy it too!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I believe that my next task is to create an ecology for Venus. I'll use the same Climate Terrain types that D&D uses:
Cold Aquatic
Temperate Aquatic
Warm Aquatic
Cold Desert
Temperate Desert
Warm Desert
Cold Forest
Temperate Forest
Warm Forest
Cold Hill
Temperate Hill
Warm Hill
Cold Marsh
Temperate Marsh
Warm Marsh
Cold Mountains
Temperate Mountains
Warm Mountains
Cold Plains
Temperate Plains
Warm Plains
Cold Underground
Temperate Underground
Warm Underground

I plan on doing 20 entries for each terrain type, this will take time.
I welcome anyone who wants to submit an entry as I've got alot of work to do. A d20 roll will determine what animal is encountered.

The format will go something like this:
Name (Just write in the name of the entry, don't write in the word "Name")
Size Type (For example "Medium Herbivore Filter"
Stamina Dice: (If its followed by a ':' write out the words 'Stamina Dice' in bold then write what the stamina dice are followed by the actual amount of stamina in parens "()" (For example Stamina Dice: 3d4 (7 St))
Lifeblood: equals constitution
Initiative:
To Attack:
To Flee:
Speed:
Armor Class:
Armor Rating:
Attack: +# melee or rarely ranged (#d#+#) [Damage amount]) - [Attack Range Increment if any] (example 10m)
Space/Reach: (example 1.5/1.5m)
Special Abilities
Saves: Fort +#, Ref +#, Will +#
Abilities: Str #, Dex #, Con #, Int #, Wis #, Cha #
Skills: [Skill Name] +#, ..., [Skill Name] +#
Feats: [Feat Name], ..., [Feat Name]
Environment:
Organization:

Don't mean to hijack this, but...
Mal, is it possible to have two planets (tidally locked or not) to describe what is essentially a helix in their orbit? IOW, up and down in relation to the orbit's plane, as well as around and around? I want to know just how great your objection to that would be... :D

I through discussing orbital Mechanics, it is as it is.

If you want to help me generate creature for this world, I'd welcome it, just use the creature generator in the T20 book if you like. If you can't think of a name right away, just leave it blank or give it an ID number for now and we will name them later.

Originally posted by Tom Kalbfus:
[QB] Ok, in the past, Earth's Moon was only half the distance from Earth that it is now. Back Then the Earth was not tidally locked with the Moon, it was that fact which pushed the Moon further out in its orbit in the first place.
No, it wasn't. Earth is not tidally locked to the Moon - the Moon is tidally locked to Earth. That's why it keeps one face pointing towards us.

And a few hundred million years ago, the Moon was about half as close as it is today and the Earth's rotation period was about 21 hours long. And it would have still been tidelocked to Earth - the moon's rotation would slow down to equal its orbital period much more quickly than the Earth's does. The tidal interaction since then has pushed the moon out and slowed the earth's rotation to what they are today.

Venus at the distance I mentioned produces only 70% more tidal force than the Moon does in actuality, but the Earth actually did experience tidal forces of that magnitude in its past and it didn't lock with the Moon. Perhaps the equation which Malefant cites, but I have not seen is a little off.
No, it isn't. Like I said, Venus is 66 times more massive than the Moon, and it's also 3.5 times larger. That makes a lot of difference.

It just seems hard to believe that if the Earth's Moon had the same density as Earth, the Earth would be tidally locked with it.
I. Didn't. Say. That. For god's sake, Tom, READ WHAT PEOPLE SAY, NOT WHAT YOU THINK THEY SAY :mad: .

I never said that the earth would be tidally locked to the moon if it had the same density alone. Venus is the same SIZE as well. It's the size and increased density that make the difference, because you end up with something that is about the same mass as the Earth.

Forgive me, but I suspect Malenfant is trying to be a pooper, if not then his equation is simply wrong. That's my reasoning anyway.
I wasted my time on you to show what would happen if this was a realistic scenario. I'm telling you what the equations say and what we can determine from our observations of the universe. Your response? "Wah! He's being a pooper! He's wrong! And that's what I'm sticking with!".
file_28.gif

I'm sorry that reality is inconvenient for you. But as I said, you can just admit that your system is unrealistic and leave it at that. It's the fact that you want to claim that reality is WRONG that galls me.

Besides, equations didn't stop George Lucas from putting Gas Giants within the habitable zone of a star (The Star Wars Movies)when planetary formation theory said that this couldn't happen.
Star Wars is anything but realistic anyway.

Later on gas giants were indeed discovered very close to stars, Astronomers said they couldn't form their and so they modified their theories to account for close in gas giants.
You'd still be unlikely to have habitable worlds around those gas giants anyway, so this proves nothing at all.

We're talking basic physical equations here. It's one thing to not foresee a possible orbital configuration, but the equations still count despite that.

Like I said, just admit it's unrealistic and that'd be that. It's the fact you claim that I'm making things up to be a 'pooper' or that the equations are 'wrong' that is just ridiculous.

All I'm saying is that in this alternate Earth, the rate of the Earth's spin is slowing at a greater rate than it does with merely lunar tides.
So Earth's day is a lot longer than it is today - probably a few hundred hours at least. And that makes a big difference to the habitability of the planet. In case I have to explain this to you, that's because the sun would be up in the low latitudes for a lot longer than it is today, which means they heat up more.

The Earth's inhabitants can live with this as their life spans aren't long enough to be affected by the slowing down of Earth's rotation.
Except you ignore the fact that longer day = more heating. A LOT more heating.

As for the existance of the Earth-Venus system, that could be explained if you assume that the relationship between the two planets is not as old as the Solar System, or if the Solar System is in fact younger and life developed more quickly.
So in other words, you're not even talking about our solar system. In which case, why the hell are you talking about Venus and Earth at all? Your starting assumptions are poorly laid out here.

The fact is though, you can have the Earth experience greater tidal forces than it is now and yet still rotate with respect to the satelite.
No, the fact is that even if that was the case, then earth's rotation would still be much slower than it is today, which causes its own problems.

If I may be so bold as to clutter up Tom's thread with an observation or two...

Mal, while many of us appreciate your valuable contributions it seems Tom is not one. And though he has in the past seemed happy to take them even if not always openly appreciative I wonder now if it was more just a case of him ignoring you. In any case, save yourself the grief and ignore his posts in the future. I know it goes against your nature and it bothers me too but I'd rather you post where your contributions will be appreciated.

Tom, this is your baby, so naturally you can do what you want with the idea, but you really could be a little more open to constructive criticism and suggestions made in a helpful way. But I think you're finally letting your feelings from the debates with Mal down in the Political Pulpit spill over up here. I don't recall you being quite this antagonistic up here before. So just ignore Mal entirely ok, if he starts a topic up here don't even go looking at it. If you are both participating in a third party topic up here ignore each other entirely or take any personal disputes elsewhere.

Everybody else, I'd suggest if you like and appreciate Mal's input on ideas, such as the questions some of you have asked here in Tom's thread, that you start your own thread to ask them in, I'm sure Mal would be happy to discuss them there.

And no I'm not the bloody moderator, just sick and tired of some of the crap that passes for posts here. That said I will say one more thing, as much as it bugs me this is nothing compared to the stuff on every other board I cruise. Even the most acrimonious of the Tom and Mal stuff down in the Political Pulpit is tame and enlightened in comparison. So I like CotI, a lot. It's like a breath of fresh air, and I'd like to see it stay that way.

Thanks for your time everybody, and thanks for the space to sound off Tom.

Malenfant said,
No, it wasn't. Earth is not tidally locked to the Moon - the Moon is tidally locked to Earth. That's why it keeps one face pointing towards us.
How is Venus supposed to 'know' that its the Moon and not the Earth? The Earth is only slightly more massive than Venus, maybe by astronomical textbooks that would make Venus the Default Moon and Earth the Default planet, but is physics as clear cut as that. I find it dubious that just because Venus is only a little less massive that Earth that it must be tidally locked with the Earth because Astronomy textbooks say it is the Moon and all moons are tidally locked with its primary. I rather think with a nearly coequal binary planet, one planet is just as likely to rotate as the other.

The tidal forces exerted by Venus are equivalent to the tidal forces exerted by the moon on Earth when it was closer. Venus may be much more massive than the Moon, but in this example its much further away and the tidal force diminishes by the inverse square of the distance, just like gravity itself.

Its not that I don't want to listen to Malenfant, its just that it seems to me that Malenfant doesn't want this to work, because he personally doesn't like me due to his and my politics not being in total agreement. So basically what Malenfant is trying to do is be an intellectual bully and kill this idea because it is mine. I really think Malenfant ought to be more objective about things and not take it so personally.

Common sense seems to indicate that this should be possible.

Far-Trader said,
If I may be so bold as to clutter up Tom's thread with an observation or two...

Mal, while many of us appreciate your valuable contributions it seems Tom is not one. And though he has in the past seemed happy to take them even if not always openly appreciative I wonder now if it was more just a case of him ignoring you. In any case, save yourself the grief and ignore his posts in the future. I know it goes against your nature and it bothers me too but I'd rather you post where your contributions will be appreciated.
It seems that Far Trader is more interested in who the originator of the idea is rather than the idea itself. I can explain this idea to both of you until I am blue in the face, but emotionally neighter one of you can accept this idea because I am the originator of it on this thread. I really don't care who takes the credit for this idea, I just think its a great idea. I get tired of the pettiness of Malenfant and Far Trader, they think I came on this thread to get into a debate with them, but I think debate is useless, as no amount of reason or common sense will convince them of the validity of this as emotionally they can't accept this idea.

Far Trader said,
Tom, this is your baby, so naturally you can do what you want with the idea, but you really could be a little more open to constructive criticism and suggestions made in a helpful way.
Except his criticism hasn't be constructive, it was intended to be destructive criticism as he intended to nix the idea in the first place, so he pulls out a few equations that he keeps to himself and comes down all high and mighty saying I'm the smart science guy and I say this is impossible for I know alot of equations. It has been my experience that many scientists will try to find supporting facts to support their beliefs rather that put facts together and come to an objective conclusion. People can be really petty sometimes. I don't really need equations, I just use common sense and logic.

Since the Earth didn't tidal lock with the Moon when it was closer and the Earth was under greater tidal stress, then it stands to reason that a more massive object that's further out would tidal lock it either, and since Venus is nearly the same size as the Earth the same applies to the Earth not tidal locking Venus.

That is my logical argument. I believe I've convinced myself that this is realistic, and it should make sense to somebody without an axe to grind. I didn't come here to score points with Malenfant, so until I hear some constructive criticism from him rather than just him trying to win the debate, then I'll have to ignore him. Argument from authority such as "I am the professor so I am right" is a very weak argument. Lets move on and populate this planet. Anyone interested in building a setting? Mal can scoff all he wants, but I don't really care.

I really should take my own good advice on this and not reply but I'm sure at least a couple citizens knows this feeling all too well...

file_28.gif

Far-Trader said, </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />If I may be so bold as to clutter up Tom's thread with an observation or two...

It seems that Far Trader is more interested in who the originator of the idea is rather than the idea itself.</font>[/QUOTE]Well, I guess I can see how you might get that impression. Just fyi it's wrong though.

I can explain this idea to both of you until I am blue in the face, but emotionally neighter one of you can accept this idea because I am the originator of it on this thread. I really don't care who takes the credit for this idea, I just think its a great idea. I get tired of the pettiness of Malenfant and Far Trader, they think I came on this thread to get into a debate with them, but I think debate is useless, as no amount of reason or common sense will convince them of the validity of this as emotionally they can't accept this idea..
But this is total crap Tom.
file_28.gif
When have I been petty towards you, or for that matter anyone on these boards? Excepting this instance now, in reply to your own petty treatment of me here, I don't recall a single instance and if I've forgotten one or two it was because it was in a moment of weakness and I'm sure I apologized. I exclude the Political Pulpit, things get heated there and I may have posted in a callous manner but it would have been in response to kind. I'm sure you're not the only one I've crossed words with down there Tom so it's not like I single you out either.

Did you happen to read my first reply to your post in this thread back on page one? Or did you skip it because you assume anything I posted would just be some petty rant? How the hell do you get me not accepting your idea from that? Even my second post was not some put down of your idea or rejection of it. It is just another alternative offered for consideration of your desire for an earth type world close to Earth and accessible by an Apollo mission.

Not unlike Bill's own excellent alternative offerings for you to build on. You didn't attack and slander him I see. Oh, that's right, I'm in your bad books because we have disagreed on political matters so there's no chance I'd agree with ANYTHING you might have to offer on any other subject and any post I make is just a petty attack on you. :rolleyes:

And if I didn't accept an idea it most certainly wouldn't be because of the originator, that would be petty. I also don't think either of us posted in this thread with the idea of getting into a debate about the merits of it, I know I didn't and Mal didn't start out that way the way I read it.

And now I WILL take that advice. You may never claim to be harrassed by me again Tom because I will not be engaging you in ANY discussion further, on any point but one, and I doubt that will happen.

No, I think this Earth-Venus model will work, don't give up on it just because Malenfant says so.
Tom,

It doesn't work in reality and not just because Constantine says so. I came to the conclusion after fiddling with few of the orbital equations myself (start at NASA's website or use some Google-Fu, they're quite easy to find on-line).

What I wanted from Constantine was confirmation that my back of the envelope calculations were correct and that is what he provided. If anything, his analysis of the idea was less harsh than mine. I'd thought the worlds in question would spiral into each other much more quickly.

Anyway, the length of each world's 'day' clinched the non-plausible nature of you idea for me. It's clear that evolution will be driven by a whole host of factors greatly different from those found in Earth's own history and humanity will not exist.

Now for the only important part of my post. Although your Venus as Earth's moon idea will not work in reality, it does not necessarily follow that your Venus as Earth's moon will not work as a game setting. Reality and game settings are two very different things.

Because your idea is fun and interesting, it is automatically a fun and interesting game setting.

Like your earlier Ringworld ideas, I've enjoyed your suggestions regarding this setting. I do hope you put whatever comes out of this thread into in some sort of document that COTI can then host in the FLibrary. You failed to do that with your Ringworld ideas sadly.

Please keep all these ideas coming, Tom. And do try and listen to rest of us when we add a little something from our various areas of expertise, be it industrial production and tech development from me or planetography and orbital mechanics from Constantine. Sometimes we actually do know what we're talking about. ;)

Have fun 'cause I'm having fun with your idea,
Bill

edited for my usual lousy spelling

How is Venus supposed to 'know' that its the Moon and not the Earth? The Earth is only slightly more massive than Venus, maybe by astronomical textbooks that would make Venus the Default Moon and Earth the Default planet, but is physics as clear cut as that. I find it dubious that just because Venus is only a little less massive that Earth that it must be tidally locked with the Earth because Astronomy textbooks say it is the Moon and all moons are tidally locked with its primary. I rather think with a nearly coequal binary planet, one planet is just as likely to rotate as the other.
Yes, which is why I said that the Earth should end up being tidelocked to the Venus-moon too. It's a contrivance to say that the Earth would have its own rotation period given the situation, but it's a dim possibility. But most likely is that both would end up being tidelocked to eachother, as is the case with Pluto and Charon, because they are similar in size and mass.

Which one you call a moon and which you call a planet is irrelevant. I only refer to Venus as a moon because it's the smaller and less massive body in the pair (and it's still 4/5th the mass of Earth). But at the end of the day, they are two bodies with a similar mass exerting tidal forces on eachother orbiting a common barycentre probably about 400-500,000 km from Earth's centre.

The tidal forces exerted by Venus are equivalent to the tidal forces exerted by the moon on Earth when it was closer.
Yes, and you're forgetting that the Moon got further away and so the tidal forces decreased a lot as it got further. Venus - even where it is right now in your scenario about four times further than the moon is today - is exerting a much greater tidal force than the moon is today and when it was closer in the past. That means that tidal dissipation is much bigger today and would have been for hundreds of millions of years (if not a few billion) and it was only bigger in the past too. Which means that Venus locks to Earth and Earth locks to Venus by today - which won't happen to the Earth-Moon system til a few billion years from now.

Venus may be much more massive than the Moon, but in this example its much further away and the tidal force diminishes by the inverse square of the distance, just like gravity itself.
Tidal despinning rates are a lot more complex than "inverse square".

Its not that I don't want to listen to Malenfant, its just that it seems to me that Malenfant doesn't want this to work, because he personally doesn't like me due to his and my politics not being in total agreement. So basically what Malenfant is trying to do is be an intellectual bully and kill this idea because it is mine. I really think Malenfant ought to be more objective about things and not take it so personally.
Tom, there's no real polite way to put this, so I'll just come out and say it. You're not only completely wrong (as usual) but you're also a complete idiot, and by saying what you just said you've again proved to be a total embarrassment to the human species, not to mention blown a lot of your credibility you had out here.

Let me make this exceedingly clear to you: I couldn't care if it was you, George bloody Bush, Bill Cameron, Fritz88, Far Trader or Hunter himself raising the scenario you raised - I'd give the same answer every time, because I have the knowledge and ability to figure out how the Venus-Earth system would evolve, and that's what the numbers tell me, and all I'm doing is passing that on. Because unlike you, I don't give a toss who is asking the question.

Common sense seems to indicate that this should be possible.
"Common Sense"? Tom Kalbfus? The ultimate oxymoron?
file_23.gif

It seems that Far Trader is more interested in who the originator of the idea is rather than the idea itself. I can explain this idea to both of you until I am blue in the face, but emotionally neighter one of you can accept this idea because I am the originator of it on this thread. I really don't care who takes the credit for this idea, I just think its a great idea. I get tired of the pettiness of Malenfant and Far Trader, they think I came on this thread to get into a debate with them, but I think debate is useless, as no amount of reason or common sense will convince them of the validity of this as emotionally they can't accept this idea.
Tom Kalbfus? Paranoid? Nah...

I'd say it's extremely petty of you to round on Dan for no apparent reason, particularly when all he was doing was trying to moderate the discussion.

But hey, carry on making a fool of yourself out here by all means.

Except his criticism hasn't be constructive, it was intended to be destructive criticism as he intended to nix the idea in the first place, so he pulls out a few equations that he keeps to himself and comes down all high and mighty saying I'm the smart science guy and I say this is impossible for I know alot of equations. It has been my experience that many scientists will try to find supporting facts to support their beliefs rather that put facts together and come to an objective conclusion. People can be really petty sometimes. I don't really need equations, I just use common sense and logic.
You wouldn't even know what half the terms in these equations mean, Tom.

But hey, I invite you to read Chapter 4 of my thesis, and buy yourself a copy of Solar System Dynamics.

Though wait, you're not interested in knowing how I'm getting my numbers because you somehow think that equations and reality don't equate to your "common sense and logic". Hm, I've seen that attitude from you before somewhere...
file_23.gif

Since the Earth didn't tidal lock with the Moon when it was closer and the Earth was under greater tidal stress, then it stands to reason that a more massive object that's further out would tidal lock it either, and since Venus is nearly the same size as the Earth the same applies to the Earth not tidal locking Venus.
And you'd be incorrect, because a much greater 'tidal force' from the more massive 'moon' would be acting on Earth for the same period of time as the less massive moon we have today. Which means that the system with the two bodies with mass ratio of 1:0.8 of similar mass reaches a double-tidelocked state quicker than the one where the mass ration is more like 1:0.01.

That is my logical argument. I believe I've convinced myself that this is realistic, and it should make sense to somebody without an axe to grind.
Your supposed "logic" is consistent only for someone who doesn't actually know what he's talking about. Just because you convince yourself that you are right (which appears to be very easy to do), that certainly doesn't mean that you are correct at all. I'm sure you could equally convince yourself that your car runs because there are thousands of little leprachauns pedalling away frantically in the engine to move your car, but that doesn't mean it's true.

And you having the gall to sit here telling me that your logic trumps reality is just risible to the extreme. It's paranoid, blinkered, wilfully ignorant nonsense - par for the course from you, in other words.

Argument from authority such as "I am the professor so I am right" is a very weak argument.
Hm, so I guess you don't let plumbers fix your pipes then, or electricians fix your wiring, or mechanics fix your car? I mean, they claim to know how to do it, but really they're fleecing you for money and you can just do it yourself, right? I'd also guess that you dropped out of school since your teachers evidently aren't in a position to teach you anything because clearly claiming to know more stuff than you do so they can teach you things is wrong too? That would explain a lot about you, anyway.

Malenfant wrote: "But hey, I invite you to read Chapter 4 of my thesis, and buy yourself a copy of Solar System Dynamics."

I did the former; mega-interesting, not that I followed all of it, but mega-interesting all the same. I'll do the latter as soon as I have some spare cash. Thanks for pointing the book out!

Malenfant said,
Yes, and you're forgetting that the Moon got further away and so the tidal forces decreased a lot as it got further. Venus - even where it is right now in your scenario about four times further than the moon is today - is exerting a much greater tidal force than the moon is today and when it was closer in the past. That means that tidal dissipation is much bigger today and would have been for hundreds of millions of years (if not a few billion) and it was only bigger in the past too. Which means that Venus locks to Earth and Earth locks to Venus by today - which won't happen to the Earth-Moon system til a few billion years from now.
A hundred million years is still longer than human history. Complex life on Earth is only 500 million years old. You are assuming that the Venus in this scenario was put there by nature. You are also assuming that Venus orbited the Earth for about 5 billion years or so, but what if it didn't? That means its still possible to have a Venus orbiting the Earth at 1.3 million km, having it exert the tidal force that it does, slowing down the Earth's rotation and further receding from the Earth. So this is science fiction, strange things can happen. Earth just happens to have a 24 hour day at this time, and its slowing down, but not at a rate that humans can appreciate. Perhaps a natural explaination is insufficient to explain the presence of Venus and the fact that neigther body is tidal locked by now. What would the scientists of this imaginary Earth be doing now, if their equations seemed to preclude a natural explaination for Venus's orbit around Earth? I believe they would begin looking for an unnatural explaination. That means that something put Venus in its present location, perhaps something intelligent. If you could spin up the Moon, I'm sure it would keep spinning for a time. Why would aliens do this? Well that's the stuff that science fiction stories are made out of. Now without further ado, I have a planet to populate.

Bill Cameron said,
Anyway, the length of each world's 'day' clinched the non-plausible nature of you idea for me. It's clear that evolution will be driven by a whole host of factors greatly different from those found in Earth's own history and humanity will not exist.
If you change a tiny variable if you go back in time, everything will be different, but with all things being equal, there is nor special reason why it couldn't be the same.

One possibility you haven't considered is that this is a replay of history. For instance, Venus was moved and put a co-orbit around Earth. Nanotechnology could then erase the evidence of past tamperings. I don't know, it just seems implausible to me that tidal forces could be so great that they extend all the way to the edge of the gravity well. I know Venus tracks the Earth, but it seems implausible that tidal forces could be the explaination for this. Venus is in a separate orbit around the Sun. But consider this as well, the Sun also exerts tidal forces on the planets, and they aren't tidally locked.

Back