• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Web-based Automatic Sector Data / Map pdf Generator

I've downloaded Mickazoid's stuff onto my Mac, and have started going through the installation steps. (Why are there so many steps!?!)

I've downloaded Mickazoid's stuff onto my Mac, and have started going through the installation steps. (Why are there so many steps!?!)

Probably because there are a lot of different programs/scripts actually being used. Eventually one could, I assume, create an installer that does it all for the Mac or a Linux machine.

That's actually one of the reasons it will never be the Year of Linux on the desktop. It's a hobbyist type of OS for personal use. For servers and stuff like that - great stuff. Not so great for non-techie users unless someone sets the stuff up for them. But enough side-tracking (and not attempting yet another stupid discussion on what OS is the best...)

I don't know anything about Macs, and enough Unix/Linux to get by, but I would think you could script the entire install package somehow to make it easier for future users. Just make a 'web-based automation maker' to your impressive list of maker programs!

I found the error.

In your install instructions in SectorMaker.sh you copy enscritp to /usr/share/enscript

per the enscript manual escript reads its global configuration from /etc/enscript.cfg

Moving the enscript.cfg to the correct location resolved the errors.

Ah. I checked the install properties of enscript, and it does indeed install enscript.cfg into /etc by default

I must have deleted that config file, since I don't see it at all anymore on my system. I am guessing it then uses the one in /usr/share/enscript instead.

I will amend the instructions to put it in /etc instead.

Probably because there are a lot of different programs/scripts actually being used. [...]

That's actually one of the reasons it will never be the Year of Linux on the desktop. It's a hobbyist type of OS for personal use. For servers and stuff like that - great stuff. Not so great for non-techie users unless someone sets the stuff up for them. [...]

Yes, and yes.

It is a bunch of rather disparate scripts, many of which are nice tools, and some of which are rather bulky and finicky.

Sort of like Linux.

Mac runs on a UNIX OS, so configuring this tool on a Mac is fundamentally the same as configuring it on Linux.

Don't get me wrong: UNIX is wonderful. But, the double edge of flexibility is that you get enough rope to hang yourself with.

Well, to miss Mickiziod

I am even more impressed to see it live on my Linux box then just the printouts. :D Of course haveing a full pdf, it is not difficult to cut out the pages for the world you want.

Once more, congratulations to Mick for grabbing a bunch of raw tools and creating such a great accomplishment. Thanks to forthkill for the effort it took to recompile and reconfigure for Ubuntu.

I am already looking at how to generate other sorts of large scale generators of my own to play with.

I do know there was a mention at one time about how long the process took on the Mac to run, but I don't recall how long it took. I am too lazy right now to look it up, but as a base, Ubuntu 8 on a duel core Pentium 4, I am getting 200 to 500 seconds or so a run depending on stellar density.

Last edited:
Wow!

This is a great thread. The outputs are so beautiful and as importantly, true to canon.

I'm inspired to try and find out a little more about how I can make this work on my Macbook (and there was me using Bootcamp to install Windows because I thought PC users had all the good freeware!).

I've just gone to link mentioned earlier in the thread to get X Code and it looks like I have to shell out some credits to become a premier member. Is this the case?

X Code Update

For any other newb's like me who want to try and install this software, I've managed to sort out the issue with X Code. You just register as an Online Developer, which IS free, and it gets you access to the code.

My next issue is with Step 3 of the process (see earlier in thread for full process). When I try to install the software mentioned at that point, it doesn't have self-install. In fact, it looks for all the world like a Windows program once it's been unzipped. Can anyone advise how I progress this?

Xcode is on the DVD that came with your Mac. But if you want the latest version and the latest documentation you will need to set create a dev account, this can be the same as your AppleID.

Well, I've managed to sort out X-code, and even start up the program, but I'm struggling to get any further than that...:(

I think I'm just not cut out for this non-standard techie stuff! Can I just make a final plea that whenever there's time and an opportunity, this superb piece of software is hosted online somewhere so that dunces like me can just press a few buttons and get the same results? :)

Well, I've managed to sort out X-code, and even start up the program, but I'm struggling to get any further than that...:(

I think I'm just not cut out for this non-standard techie stuff! Can I just make a final plea that whenever there's time and an opportunity, this superb piece of software is hosted online somewhere so that dunces like me can just press a few buttons and get the same results? :)

It's not just you... I've been a programmer for over 15 years, and 9 of those years were spent writing Perl, and I'm finding it a challenge to wade through all the requirements.

I'd love to host it on my webserver, but my host doesn't give me the kind of access I'd need to get things up and running.

I am still working on a clean Linux VMWare VM with everything installed that you can use with either VMWare Fusion for the Mac or VMWare player on a Windows machine.

I will just need to find a place to host it if it is too big to host on my server.

For those wanting to install this software, please bear the following in mind:

1. Installing these scripts is a complex undertaking, NOT for novices. If you don't already know the basics of unix, BASH / SH shell scripting, perl, etc., you will likely find this impossible to install. I know it's frustrating, etc. - imagine how frustrating it was for me, a non-programmer, when I started thinking up the idea in the first place :)

2. This is OBVIOUSLY NOT 'finalware'... it is a collection of scripts that work under Mac and unix when all the requirement software has been properly installed. It's software I wrote, for me, which I have posted here to share with my CotI friends.

3. AGAIN, Installing this software requires advanced skill. It is NOT designed as a standalone, 'finalware' script, I am sharing it for the group's use. That having been said, if the requirement software (most notably, pdftk) is present, installing the software should take no more than 5-10 minutes.

4. In the past few years, a number of people have been able to install it on Mac and Linux, and they are reachable via PM if their posts here raise questions for novice users or experts alike who are apparently having problems or are otherwise frustrated.

5. I'll sum up again by saying I'm hopeful this software is useful - I am NOT a programmer, I learned these skills by writing this software - but I'm providing it purely on a 'best efforts' basis, because the output looks so damn good, and because I like sharing. If you are having trouble with it, please share your experiences here and I'm sure you'll get some insight from friendly people like robject and others. I'm available for help with specific questions, etc. but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to teach the basics of Unix and shell scripting.

Actually, I find it very amusing that whatever the state of the software one posts, one always encounters BOTH those who are frustrated by its complexity AND those who are frustrated by its feature limitations (as well as those who have complaints but no alternatives). :) These scripts were provided here for everyone to do with as they are able (like the impressive and successful Ubuntu port by 'forthekill', for example), and I've decided against doing a Windows version at this time pretty much because of the incredible increase in gripes/requests for simplification/complexification/installation improvements/etc. etc. - I designed this not to be some 'expert programmer', but because it was fun, and because there's nothing that generates canon-style pdf sectors that are this 'eye candy'-licious.

Most of all, thanks - I'm glad you like the output! :)

Last edited:
2. This is OBVIOUSLY NOT 'finalware'... it is a collection of scripts that work under Mac and unix when all the requirement software has been properly installed. It's software I wrote, for me, which I have posted here to share with my CotI friends.

Once upon a time, I wanted to "clean up" whatshisname's PDF sector generator Perl script. Of course, there's a lot going on there, and it's more than an afternoon effort: I'd have to PLAN my attack. Egads!

Anyway, that's what I want to do with Mickazoid's suite. All those disparate elements -- Perl, Bash, what-have-you -- can be loosely coupled while still being a bit more cohesive, I reckon. But first I should get it all working.

The big thing for me is the prerequisite packages I have to install first. That's quite daunting. It mocks me.

Once upon a time, I wanted to "clean up" whatshisname's PDF sector generator Perl script. Of course, there's a lot going on there, and it's more than an afternoon effort: I'd have to PLAN my attack. Egads!

Anyway, that's what I want to do with Mickazoid's suite. All those disparate elements -- Perl, Bash, what-have-you -- can be loosely coupled while still being a bit more cohesive, I reckon. But first I should get it all working.

The big thing for me is the prerequisite packages I have to install first. That's quite daunting. It mocks me.

But it does so with only the kindest intentions :) I would LOVE if you could help provide some 'sanity' to the software and the bundle. Contact me with specifics, if I can be of any help... :)

Last edited:

Ah. I checked the install properties of enscript, and it does indeed install enscript.cfg into /etc by default

I must have deleted that config file, since I don't see it at all anymore on my system. I am guessing it then uses the one in /usr/share/enscript instead.

I will amend the instructions to put it in /etc instead.

For Mac Snow Leopard users we may be at a dead end with the need to install pdftk, it is a mess.

So, in Fusion I set-up a vurtual Ubuntu server. The Ubuntu instructions have 3 errors I found

1. the enscript.cfg is still moved to the wrong place
2. it tells you to download the Mac files from Micazoid's website
3. it tries to move the 'b' not the 'c' version of the script

Apart from those items the Ubuntu instructions are much simpler than the Mac set-up. Instead of finding tools it is straight forward installing them with the apt-get installer.

Thanks to everyone.

The Ubuntu build version looks great!

I'm going to do a detailed diff so I can understand the changes and backport the non-Linux-specific improvements you've made back to the Mac OSX version.

One request for sanity's sake: You should probably update the install files, adding your name as author of the Ubuntu version. This way ubuntu build questions, new sec format questions, etc. are directed to you rather than me :)

Great job!!! :) :)

I've had some issues with my Ubuntu box since I upgraded it to 9, which is actually where I had fixed up the instructions beyond what is in the zip I linked to in this thread.

I will see if I can get the issues resolved this weekend and then get something new packaged up.

It's actually been a while since I've looked at it, but I think I added more comments and details around what my modifications were for the Ubuntu install, plus what I did to modify the script itself.

Last edited:
Ok I managed to resolve my Ubuntu box issues (had to revert back to 9.04), and I'll be reviewing the changes I made to the script since I installed it on 9.04.

I will test it with 8.10, 9.04, and 9.10 to make sure it works on all three.

I'll also take a look at my modified code to make sure I commented everything properly so that you know what I changed and why.

Then I'll post a new .zip with the clearer instructions I had written up, and hopefully that will help.

Ok, I have the script working on Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10. I tested it and the simplified the instructions a bit more.

I had to make changes to the if statements in the script to get it to work without throwing an error.

I used a base VM of Ubuntu that I got from Thought Police.

I will now test to see if the changes I made for Ubuntu 9.x will work on Ubuntu 8.10 as well.

Last edited:
Back