• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What do you use for visual aids and minis?

All I know is that the swords, shields, staffs and occasional bow looked pretty cool, but the guns for the sci-fi minis looked like someone was monkeying about with Playdoh.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Even Heavy Weapons are smaller than the get depicted.

In a lot of of respects Miniatures are a cartoon of reality and it is much easier to deal with if you view it that way.... My Traveller Universe is Cell Shaded and in primary colors.

I use the same reasoning for Traveller that I use for D&D. I use whatever is available to me, regardless of the scale or whether or not things match. So anything from Airfix Zoo figures to Legos is fair game, along with graph paper drawings of areas. If you are have a lot of combat types, settle on an Airfix set or sets, designate the carried weapons as whatever is needed, and have at it.

Some mentioned Legos.... Man if I where to start over from scratch it would so totally be a Lego Minifigures Traveller Universe for me.

Thinking more like this;
Shock%20Trooper%20-%20Colonial%20Marine%20%28Loose%29.jpg

Chessex Battlemat
Decorative Glass Gems

The gems come in different sizes and colors and are transparent. I can set them on noted locations, and write on them with grease pencils.

Was just checking, the RAFM site still has 15mm mins that look like the old martian metal trav mins, including Dyrone, vargar, and aslan. Clunky and old but I swear the same sculpts.

Was just checking, the RAFM site still has 15mm mins that look like the old martian metal trav mins, including Dyrone, vargar, and aslan. Clunky and old but I swear the same sculpts.

RAFM/Citadel Traveller License Models from back in the day, and yes they are the same ones, but not the Martian Metals ones, they were much fuglier...

Check out this guy

I own just enough of the Martian Metals Traveller line to know for a fact that the human and alien models were absolutely not the RAFM models. That big honking grav tank, though, may have been a joint venture, or a separate license agreement of some sort. Since the only company in that group still around is RAFM (Citadel of then bears only the trademark in common with Citadel now), I have no idea if the truth is available.

I seem to recall that there was another line of minis that came in a kind of elongated box, and it was colored black with the red Traveller log on it. Was that the one you were thinking of?

As far as I know, only four companies held Traveller miniatures licenses prior to the recent MegaMinis/Ad Astra cycle.

Citadel, prior to the Warhammer days, and in partnership with RAFM, produced a 15mm line.

Martian Metals produced a separate 15mm line, but may have licensed the big grav tank.

Grenadier did a brief run of 25mm Traveller figs, consisting of four boxed sets (Imperial Marines, Civilians, Alien Mercenaries, and Alien Animals)

RAFM returned to Traveller during the TNE period with a 28mm line and a line of starships.

Finally, Hobby Products has a sadly short flirtation with 15mm SF that had several Traveller aliens make an appearance.

Of these lines, Grenadier, Martian Metals, and Hobby Products' lines have all vanished utterly. The RAFM 15mm line is around under generic trade dress, but without an explicit license the 28mm line and ships remain unavailable. The ships likely will stay that way unless and until Ad Astra ends their license.

MegaMinis produced 25mm aliens on an LE basis, and if they kept their sad promise, the masters and molds are gone. The ships they produced have since been sold to Ad Astra.

Here is a mixture of LEGO containers and MegaBloks figures in a Traveller setting with a LEGO cargobot from Jesse DeGraff's GT Starports Cover.
3_image.jpg

Here is a mixture of LEGO containers and MegaBloks figures in a Traveller setting with a LEGO cargobot from Jesse DeGraff's GT Starports Cover.

OUTSTANDING!!!! :cool:

In a related Note em4 announced more of the SpaceLords figures are again available. They are funky, and cool and true 25mm so the work well with the old Grenadier Traveller 25mm figures. (Note Ground Zero Games 25mm figures work as well)

Here is the Link: http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=1257459901

I originally posted this photo in the CotI Vehicles Gallery. Here is a link to a free magazine download with instructions for a similar Lego container: http://railbricks.com/magazine/issue-14/

The MegaBloks figures are on the large size but would work well for free-form few-on-few miniture games like Chainmail. Maybe some of the Traveller game rule could be extrapolated to handle our smaller engagements.

Last edited:
Back