• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What will be needed to play?

None of my my chums think D20 Traveller is up to much - I is their referee and I disagree!!!!!!!!!

Lets face it, D20 Traveller is the best, last hope for a non film tie-in RPG that all can play. Its universe (Gateway) is good and what I have seen of its rules area also good too.

Viva D20, let's let it live to see what it produces.

Yours, EV, lover of travel.

To America, in its hours of need.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And I believe there is an OGL logo you can use, and most of the D20 'ers recognize it as being of D20 heritage (I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That someone is me.
biggrin.gif

As of this time, there is no official OGL logo. There is a movement to produce such a thing, but a lot of people are worried that such a copyleft logo may be misused or abused by "illegitimate" writers who wants to get an easy bucks from you.

And I'm sorry, the OGL does not cover any OGL logo you may wish to slap on your product. The license only covers content, mainly Open Gaming Content and Product Identity.

------------------
Anyhoo... just some random thoughts

Whether WotC provides a logo is ultimately a side-issue. Thanks for the clarification, though, that is good to know. (Though they do permit you to designate the OGL content in any way you see fit, as long as it is "clearly marked").

Back to the real thrust of this thread, then -

"Personally, I think accessing the pool of players and refs represented by the D20 crowd is a good idea. If you want a game with 50 players, go it alone. If you want a game with 50,000 players, go D20 or OGL."

Sure D20 has (significant) issues associated with it. But I don't think they are insurmountable, and I'm enough of a fan of Traveller to want to see it become as popular as it can be, if for no other reason than to give me someone to play with, heh.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emiricol:
Whether WotC provides a logo is ultimately a side-issue. Thanks for the clarification, though, that is good to know. (Though they do permit you to designate the OGL content in any way you see fit, as long as it is "clearly marked").

Back to the real thrust of this thread, then -

"Personally, I think accessing the pool of players and refs represented by the D20 crowd is a good idea. If you want a game with 50 players, go it alone. If you want a game with 50,000 players, go D20 or OGL."

Sure D20 has (significant) issues associated with it. But I don't think they are insurmountable, and I'm enough of a fan of Traveller to want to see it become as popular as it can be, if for no other reason than to give me someone to play with, heh.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might not even be enough to bear the d20 logo; it'll be judged by it's compatability as well, character-by-character and level for level or HD, by a great many. If the T20 classes are not of comparable ballance to SRD ones, then it will either be a "Munchkin-magnet" or a divisive draw for those who like the ballance of the d20 engine; I know that I've always looked forward to the eventual day when i can drop a 12th level wizard against a platoon of Imperial Marines... and my player group (extended and current both) all hope for true inter-operability.

All that said, being a playtester, I seldom have to open the PHB in play; it's essential for new players doing CG, but experienced D&D3E'rs won't even need to bother... but there are some things which reference back for the sake of more "Traveller" material.

As Ryan said recently, it is possible to do a d20 game which is NOT class and level, nor even level based. Whether this is a good idea or not, I leave to the good readers here.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

Back