• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What's NOT in T5?

whartung

SOC-14 1K
So we're seeing some of the extra swag and the contents of the CD-ROM.

For many Traveller is more than LBB 1-3, or simply the core rule books.

Arguably the most "complete" core set is MT as it has most of the extended character and design sequences out of the LBB era. For TNE and T4 it would be more Core rule book plus FF&S. None of the core games had as detailed system generation as World Builders or World Tamers. But they had the Scout 6 extended versions.

I've heard T5 is a "small ship" universe, which seems to be pointed at the design sequences.

So, what's not in T5? What else is missing? I don't expect adventures per se, but clearly T5 has had an extended development time, so what practical expectations are there for any followup work?

No reveals on post-release T5 plans until the Kickstarter backers have received their rewards. That's official -- the backers come first.

So, what's not in T5? What else is missing?

Setting information is not in the core book; it has even less setting information than The Traveller Book. Even the career names have been generalized a bit (and they avoid the "career creep" problem that started showing up in MT). The elements which are (arguably) OTU are the milieux overview, vehicles, equipment, starships and one page of suggested homeworlds, taken from the Third Imperium (and mostly from the Spinward Marches) using "Year 1105" data. Ah, also the sample Bestiary is taken from CT and MT adventures and sources.

There are no major races detailed. Of course, that's setting information.

Big starship design is not explicitly supported in the core book, though it is possible to design arbitrarily large starships using the core rules. The biggest gap is that the core book does not deal with spinal guns.

I can't speculate here about what is to come.

I've asked - repeatedly - about sourcebooks and setting material, and other than a very vague discussion that should probably be kept under wraps, I don't have any information.

That doesn't mean there isn't a whole lot of setting info en route, but from what I gather there isn't anything concrete happening just yet.

However, there *is* something rather interesting going on, which will be revealed in due course.

I think I would prefer less setting than more setting. I still have my T4 books and there is a lot there. No reason why the year 0 should not be helpful to the year 200. :rolleyes:

Back