• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What's your blend (of rules)?

How much "Traveller" is in your Traveller gaming?

• Non-Trav rules in a Traveller homebrew setting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From now on, Classic using 1977 rules as base with 1981 and The Traveller Book additions plus Citizens of the Imperium additional character classes, with the Skirmish Gaming combat system and Hyperdrive added. I may just drop the Jump Drive but keep the ship building rules. Setting is the Out Rim sector. Limited contact with Solomani, no contact with Imperium, which is somewhat of a legend. Definitely no Maker technology. Scouts are getting a major rework with promotion and skills, along with the Sailor/Wet Navy and Flyer.

I may simply write my own rules, and call it Rim Rover, Adventuring on the Galactic Rim, where anything can and will happen.

CT with task system and ATU rules bootstrapped on with fiddly bits from T4 and MgT1E, and a modified Striker system.

I would love to use three-book CT + S4 for everything, with my house rules (such as the vehicle combat rules).

However, as I publish commercial material, I cannot use CT for licensing reasons, so I use the Cepheus Engine, which is not Traveller per se but is quite compatible with Traveller and has an open license.

I use my own (published) setting - These Stars Are Ours! - and I might be working on a secondary setting as well.

For me, Traveller is the 3I. All my Traveller campaigns take place in the (mostly) canon 3I, using the MegaTraveller timeline, but Virus never hits. All my campaigns have taken place in the same 3I, with the actions of one campaign being referenced in others.

Ruleset is according to the type of campaign me and my players want.

For campaigns with lots of crunch - military, trade and commerce, mercenary - we'll use EABA. It's a very good drop-in replacement for the Traveller rules.

For other, less crunchy campaigns (especially those focused on characters, families, and their interactions), I run using Fate Core, with addendums from the various Fate toolkits.

My current TU includes:
• Classic Traveller (The LBBs)
• GURPS Traveller
• Mongoose Traveller

And a home-brew hybrid of:
• Traveller (all of the above)
• Stargate-SG1
• A bit of Babylon-5's Psi-Corps

GURPS 3rd edition Traveller in Traveller Universe Timeline, often using GURPS 4th edition rules for combat, and character generation, after having converted from T20 Traveller and game continues in the same Spinward Marches setting.

These days I run CT with the Imperiumish setting that developed organically over time in my head as I ran Traveller using the very few setting-related items I owned for the bulk of the CT era.

Later in the CT era, I started buying more of the official stuff, and I began using more of the official universe. That continued into the MT era, but about halfway through that I lost interest and went back to CT. Then of course with T4, I stuck to the officially published stuff since I was on the development team for Milieu 0 and the other books.

Then GURPS Traveller came along and the Lorenverse with it, which was really nice for me as a fan of the pre-MT Traveller universe.

But now, I prefer to run CT stripped down to just the basic rules and a few supplements, using the Traveller universe that exists in my head and nowhere else. :)

So the shelves of Traveller stuff sits in my library, mostly unused. But I'm having fun and so are my players, so I don't feel too bad about it.

I should update this to say that I am working with the Cepheus Engine rules, combined with the Classic 1977 rules, the Traveller Book, Supplement 4. plus my own additions and subtractions. The basis is Cepheus Engine, modified by everything else.

For my setting, it will be the Piper-Norton Out Rim Sector. The planets for the first sub-sector, with some planet descriptions are posted here.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39544

Back