• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Which Campaign Setting Sourcebooks Would You Like to See?

Which Campaign Setting Sourcebooks Would You Like to See?

• The Ancients Era

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • The Ziru Sirka (First Imperium)

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • The Interstellar Wars (currently in development by SJG for GURPS Traveller)

• The Rule of Man (Second Imperium)

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • The Long Night

• Milieu 0 (Founding of the Third Imperium)

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • The Civil War

Votes: 20 6.3%
  • The Millennium Era (Gateway Domain - Third Imperium circa 1000)

Votes: 70 21.9%
  • The Golden Age (The Spinward Marches - Third Imperium circa 1105)

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • The Rebellion Era

Votes: 89 27.8%
  • The New Era (Fourth Imperium)

Votes: 58 18.1%
  • An all new campaign setting

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
I would like to see a completely new setting - particularly one that involves a fairly isolated hi-tech world expanding outward (jump-2/3 capable, developing jump 3/4). Lots of room for exploration of new worlds (sort of like Enterprise, but without the interfering Vulcans and no need to worry about continuity
file_23.gif
). Scouts would really be explorers, and of course there would need to be a Navy to defend the homeworld. Diplomats would play a big role as there would be lots of first contacts.

Support for that type of setting would be great!

Why did I vote for the CT milieu?

1. Nostalgia! I cut my teeth on the Spinward Marches and enjoyed the other stuff that came out covering that Milieu.

2. Guidance. There is a chance to unify the Canon and expand upon it. Especially, replacing de-canonized materials.

I also believe that further fleshing out the CT Milieu will allow for a stronger foundation for the other Milieus, IMHO.

Besides, Milieu CT is a GREAT time to be a Scout!

How about a rimward frontier Solomani setting - no high politics to interfere - new aliens and Bonanza in Space (what G Rodenbury called Star Trek)

Actually, you know what I'd like to see. A campaign setting that centers on Earth...not Solomani, I'm talking entire new campaign. Accurate star maps translated into the 2D traveller hex-map system. Stars are accurate, incorporate current known planetary data into it. And just follow a tech path, say, TL-10 is the highest tech achieved.

Originally posted by Big Tim:
Actually, you know what I'd like to see. A campaign setting that centers on Earth...not Solomani, I'm talking entire new campaign. Accurate star maps translated into the 2D traveller hex-map system. Stars are accurate, incorporate current known planetary data into it. And just follow a tech path, say, TL-10 is the highest tech achieved.
Go bug Chrisopher Thrash, who usually hangs out in the SJG JTAS boards, but has been know to show up here once and a while, about the Traveller: Third Millenium project.

One setting I do not want to see detailed is the Ancients era. What mystery is left around the Ancients should be maintained, not discarded by revealing every mundane details about them.

Also, I am far from convinced an Ancients setting would be really playable. With the technology so advance it becomes magic-like, balancing a campaign could become frustrating.

But you cannot do Reavers Deep without Bill Keith's input. But definately Reavers Deep in the Classic Era (1100-1120) more than enough adventure possibilities there.

:( I'm a little surprised to find the rebellion era so far behind the leaders. It was by far the most fun I ever had in the Traveller universe beyond those heady days before the Official Traveller Universe existed. I enjoyed stepping into each era as it arose but the one that always sticks, the one I recall with the greatest fondness is the rebellion.

Just had to share.

I loved the Golden Era because it gave a richly diverse, reasonably stable setting for the PCs to wander around in, as well as the future FFW for military types to get involved in.

Mostly I agree with another poster's point, it owuld be good for you to pick a point in history and cover multiple parts of Known Space at that point of time.

I'd also like to see something brand new. An area that has all the elements of the OTU (multiple alien/human races, high tech, etc.) but that was in a different political/astrographical situation.

Originally posted by hunter:

Could those of you that voted for the Golden Age give us a bit of reasoning behind your choice? What would you like to see for that period/region that hasn't already been done?

Hunter
a. You allowed multiple choices, and I chose five times. 1105-ish was the fourth, and mostly for the same reason someone else mentioned: continuity. 1105 doesn't have to mean Spinward Marches. I'd love to see a new Sector - maybe Magyar :D . I don't think that there's any point in more material that will potentially contradict what's been released before.

b. My first two choices were the Civil War and the Rebellion Era. I know it does parallel alot of media and game themes that are already out there (Star Wars and the Rebellion, Battletech and the n-th Interstellar War), but the theme is popular for a reason! Think of it as a Marshal's baton in every player's die roll. Rebellions and Wars allow for not only Military plot lines, but also pirates and smugglers, technology plots, espionage, and many a dollar/ corporation/ princedom to be made or built. So if I had to pick one single one, I think it would be the Civil War.

My two credits,

Paul Nemeth
AA

Let me see if I can "justify" my choices:

The Ancient Era: So, let me see if I have this right. I can either play a god-like lizard doomed to be hunted down and exterminated by my insane clone-father just because I've been making too much "noise" to suit him, or I can play a transplanted, and possibly genetically engineered, survivor of Armageddon who has to try to build a new civilization from a smoking pile of ash, all while trying to avoid being killed by one of the Gods-War weapons that's still running around? Thank you, but no.

The Ziru Sirka (The First Imperium): I already work in a mindless, possibly pointless drudge-job in which my bureacratically appointed overlords attempt to quash even the slightest vestige of indiviuality. That's why I game. That's why I don't game in settings that remind me of my job.

The Interstellar Wars: Chock full of interesting possibilities, but leave it to SJG. They got dibs on the idea, and I don't want anyone directly competing when it comes to Traveller. This may change if they screw it up, though.

The Rule of Man (The Second Imperium): I'm sure that there are some interesting possibilities that can turned into adventures in this setting, but none have ever really occurred to me. Pass.

The Long Night: Rebuilding an interstellar civilizations from a single planet or cluster? Regaining lost glories and discovering entirely new ones? Exploring new horizons, or finding old ones agains, all while never sure of just what you'll find? Hell, yes!

Milieu 0: Been there, done that, have the crappy books to prove it. Leave it be.

The Civil War: Expansionist neighbors ready to take advantage of even the slightest weakness, while malcontents and political hacks squabble like children over the glories that they've killed their betters for? Sounds good to me.

The Millenium Era (Third Imperium - ca. 1000): The glories of a strong interstellar imperium combined with the potentials of a still (slightly, slowly) expanding frontier. Very interested.

The Golden Age (Third Imperium - ca 1105): The old, traditional favorite. With the bookcases full of previously published material published for this era, some might wonder what's left to cover. All those books are just scratching the surface, the elementary school version, as it were. Now we can get down to expanding on what's already just been touched on, and expand into areas never considered when originally published. Also very interested, but would probably be even more interested in a larger book combining the Millenium Era and the Golden Age (say ca. 950 - 1110), showing how and why the Imperium and its neighbors changed during that period.

The Rebellion Era/Hard Times: Fairly well covered by the MT ruleset, but I wouldn't mind some additional background and adventures, especiallya Rebellion non-Virus alternate history. However, as My Rebellion era TU has diverged pretty far from canon already, I'd place this fairly low on my wish list.

The New Era (Fourth Imperium): I'd probably find this fairly interesting on its own but, as I'd stated above, my Rebellion era TU has diverged a lot, so I'd probably not be able to use much of the setting. However, being the completist that I am, I'd probably get one nonetheless.

An all new campaign setting: Very interested in seeing what might be done, especially if licenses could be arranged to cover David Weber's "Honorverse," the setting presented in his novel "Path of the Fury," or that presented in his and Steve White's BugWar series based on the 'Imperial Stars' tabletop wargame. Lois McMaster Bujold's "Vorkosigan" universe would also be interesting to adventure in. C.J.Cherryh's paired Union/Alliance books would also provide an interesting background for adventuring, although this might be more of a departure than you were thinking of.

Well, you asked for opinions...

Simon Jester
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Simon Jester:
Let me see if I can "justify" my choices:
<snipped>
OK, my choices were:
The Ancient Era: I don't recall if I voted for this or not! It's not as bad as it might first appear, since the actual Ancients were few and far between. The actual civilisation consisted of humans, Vargr, Droyne and Robots, plus whatever odd stuff we don't know about. Similarly, the super-tech is not _necessarily_ quite as widespread as you would imagine, but it would be around enough to be interesting. In other words, if it was done well, this could be interesting. Or it could stink.

The Ziru Sirka (The First Imperium): I didn't vote for this one. The Interstellar Wars would cover a lot of the interesting stuff anyway.

The Interstellar Wars: There are actually two sub-periods here. The early wars (and First Contact) would have a rather different feel from the later ones. The later ones would shade into the next period. Incidentally, I voted for this period, even though it's a bit pointless, given that SJGames are going to do it anyway, regardless!

The Rule of Man (The Second Imperium): The Ramshackle Empire? Oh yeah. Of course, a lot of it would overlap with the later interstellar war period, and the early Long Night. Fine by me. The overlap periods are possibly the most interesting. (Early: Ensigns and carpetbaggers running the Ziru Sirka. Late: the last remnants of a dying empire try to fend off the inevitable, or local heroes try to build pocket empires to do the same...)

The Long Night: Well, obviously.

Milieu 0: Bleah.

The Civil War: Only if I get to write it!
I've already done quite a bit of work around this period. It has its appeal. Other interesting periods include the Regency of Arbellatra, immediately after the war itself (but possibly with a couple of Pretenders still around), and slightly later, the Regency of Antiama (aka "Milieu 700"). The latter is a period when the Empress is a child, her mother is a Vilani, and the Solomani nobility are restless... In other words, it's a backstabbing and intrigue period. All of these have one big problem though, which they share with the next one: it's still the Third Imperium!

The Millenium Era (Third Imperium - ca. 1000): Yeah, whatever...

The Golden Age (Third Imperium - ca 1105): Done to death. In any case, SJGames are already doing it.

The Rebellion Era/Hard Times: Shrug. I hope Hard Times gets reprinted eventually.

The New Era (Fourth Imperium): Yawn.

An all new campaign setting: Yeah. Of course, it might suck.

Alan

I am also a big fan of the Rebellion and would love to see more on it. The problem that I have with Gateway and all of that is, to me, it is past history. Its over. I am a child of CT and the end of the Third Emperium, and that is all that I have ever known in present and future tense. I never liked the Emperium and was glad to see it fall, what is next was always my question. I never got into TNE, never actually even seen any of it so I can't comment on it. I vote for the Rebellion, Fourth Emperium, and beyond.

Actually an all new setting would be interesting.Like what happened to all those colony ships sent out by earth[and her early colonies].We know of some- the old/new island's subsectors from CT,as well as the various numbered colony worlds.They seem to point to possible human empires rimward of the Zhodani and spinward of the spinward marches.The Imperial Scout Service must have information on this area[so why are they not telling us].

Ancients: no. Its weird to begin with and never looked like a great setting.

The Interstellar Wars: Thumbs up.

The Rule of Man: nay

The Long Night: Sure.

Milieu 0: no way.

The Civil War: Sure.

The Millenium Era and Golden Age: nay
The Rebellion Era/ New era - sure if your adding to the environment and not re-writing. I am concerned with the invulnerable Regency and its ability to work miracles.

I figure you can only produce so many products per year. So, make them count! They should be useful to non-T20 players. Don't reproduce anything unless its one "things we didn't mention" book. Don't solve any big mysteries.

Wish List:
1. Wars and expansion are always good setting backgrounds. Sourcebooks, sourcebooks, sourcebooks.
Build on the basic system, don't re-engineer a wheel (FFS had the right idea but needed more work).
2. And how about a 3d combat system for fun.

3. How about a book of starships with deckplans that aren't lame. Haven't seen one in years.

Did I mention 3d space combat...
4. How about programs we can purchase to do some of the darn chores. A traveller universe takes a lotta work.

Savage

Sourcebooks on Sectors: just a variant spin on a common idea
... I gather that such books might already be in the works to some measure--but I'd like to add that a book covering a sector should feature a thorough treatment of that sector's history! That way we could select our era of choice. :D (If the scale of that is too large, perhaps 4 subsectors as a "region"?)

-Y.

Back