• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Would You Buy a Solo Traveller Product?

Would you buy a Traveller adventure written for solo play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that many people interested in Traveller aren't as lucky as some of us to have gaming groups and actually get to play the game. Many, many posters on these Traveller forums only talk about Traveller--hardly ever playing. (Poor saps. :( very sad.) Right now, even, there's a thread discussing Solo Traveller adventures--and it's not the first one on CotI.

Well my wonder is: Would it be a profitable idea for one of the companies publishing Traveller products today to publish adventures aimed at solo play? Would the masses of Traveller lovers out there buy such a beast?

I'm talking about one guy, grabbing his rule book and his new solo adventure, sitting down by himself, and having an excellent Traveller experience without a single other person.

Would that type of thing sell?

Would you buy it?

I would buy it no matter the version. I'd jump at the chance to be able to play again.

But I'd be even more likely to buy it if it was a computer game done to the same high standards that recent D&D treatments have been (given the large number of BAD games released recently along with the few good ones I wouldn't buy until after it had been favorably reviewed).

I have a bunch of the T&T solo adventures and have gone through each many times. I'd enjoy similar products for Traveller.

I would only buy as a learning tool for a version I was unfamiliar with, playing by yourself is to much like...(self edited for adult content).

I have a bunch of the T&T solo adventures and have gone through each many times. I'd enjoy similar products for Traveller.

Very much agreed! I love my T&T Solo's as well as the few Call of Cthulhu & D&D Solo's -- I can't count how many times I have played thru the two Traveller solo's I have.

Even though I Ref a group on a regular basis and love doing it, there is still the lack of being able to play. So until I can get a new Ref trained up if I want to play it has to be solo or not at all.

I would snag any Traveller solo products put out there. I would prefer they be CT or MT or even T4 but if they were other versions I wouldn't be put off. The optimal thing would be to make them verson free or "multi-stat" like the BITS products.

Jerry

Not for me. The collaborative element of RPGs is essential to my enjoyment, and I have no interest in solo play except as a rules-learning exercise.

Yes but what kind of solo play

RPG, battle, or both?

ZMan games made a fun book mark solo/2 player game of battle

There are several books that are solo RPG style and a few include some battle? stuff

So, Yes I would be very interested in a Traveller solo game(s).

Dave Chase

Dave, what's the name of the game from Z Man games?

I imagine when talking about Traveller solos, they mean something like Scout's Honour or the T & T solos, both of which had the potential for combat to occur.

Dave, what's the name of the game from Z Man games?

I imagine when talking about Traveller solos, they mean something like Scout's Honour or the T & T solos, both of which had the potential for combat to occur.

Warchon. The Bookmark system was a very neat design but I am not sure if they did any more. The idea was to make several games using the bookmark game play. A space game, WW2 and a ship game I think.

Dave Chase

Thanks - I just checked out that game on BGG...I'm curious as to how you could you play it solo.

I think what people have in mind are programmed solos like the T & T solos or the Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks or a board-game/paragraph hybrid like Star Smuggler.

Addressing the "it depends" - couldn't a product be "multi-system", i.e. include stats for CT, MT, T20, etc.?

Sure, it could. If you like CT, and the multi-system multi-play item came out, then it would suit your CT tastes.

But...it's really have to be multi-system. I've seen some stuff that claims to be multi-system that kinda is and kinda ain't.

For example, the Traveller's Aid Personal Weapons of Known Space I bought thinking it was truly dual-system for CT and T20. And, it 85% is what it claims. But, there are things in that book that are confusing as to whether the T20 system is being addressed or the CT system. And, there's a part or two that is clearly for T20 but not really for CT.

I recommend the book to CT fans. CT doesn't have too many weapon books, and the 85% compatibility makes it a very, very useful book. I just "wish" the book was 100% CT. I'd feel better about it.

So, back to the subject of this post from that example, I'd look long and hard at a multi-system product before I bought it to make sure it truly severed the system of my choice (CT).

I voted "Depends", buy the way.

The question has come up in the thread as to what type of solo adventure am I talking about?

I'm talking about one that emulates a real face-to-face Traveller game session.

I've played some of these things before. The James Bond rpg had this fabulous solo adventure called On Her Majesty's Secret Service. This thing's got chases, firefights, fist fights, and all types of things that happen in the game.

I imagine a good Traveller solo adventure could do the same. The adventure would probably take shape of one of those numbered paragraph books. You might see something like: You approach the man and find out he is indeed Regmar Plunkins, the broker to whom you were referred. Roll 6+, using Admin skill to blah, blah, blah. If you fail the roll, turn to paragraph 61A. If you fail the roll by only one point, then turn to paragraph 101C. If you roll exactly 6, then turn to paragraph 42A. If you succeed on the throw with a total of 7+, then turn to paragraph 55C.

But, I think other types of solo gaming could be included in the product. Certain, a starship battle could take place. If needed, rules could be provided (abstract) for large scale skirmishes. Maybe even a High Guard encounter with two small squadrons of ships.

The text of the adventure would outline general strategy for the bad guys (or bad ships) the character faces. There would need to be some sort of hidden information system too. I've seen this done with cards before, where the player draws a card and reads the info telling him how the NPC, bad guy, or bad guy ship will react (so that the player's choice is made without knowing what the bad guy will do).

You know, some long term gaming could be achieved, too, in the adventure. Players could be surprised. "Hey, we skipped a whole year! The war is over now!" Rules as seen in T4's Pocket Empires (not as detailed or complicated as that) could make some parts of the solo adventure cover multiple years.

And, back to a regular type game session, gunfights would be fairly easy to include. The player would run both his character and the bad guys. Notes in the text might say something like, "The character encounters four thugs emerging form the darkness. It's the same four street kids from this morning's encounter, and they don't look happy. All of them carry autopistols, and the fourth has a machinepistol tucked into his waistband. During this fight, these thugs will have the goal of blah, blah, blah. They will use cover and advance cautiously. If one of the thugs is incapacitated or killed, roll a standard morale check. If a second thug goes down, then roll morale a second time using a penalty -2 modifier. Blah, blah, blah."

Maps for the encounter would be provided.

And, think of it. There could be some neat adventures presented in solo format. What about an adventure that takes place entirely aboard an Azhanti High Lightning class cruiser with the main character being a fresh faced lieutenant on his first duty station? That could be very interesting indeed, giving the "feel" and atmosphere of serving aboard an Imperial Naval vessel.

There's a lot of "stories" that could be told this way in the Traveller universe. What if the Master At Arms aboard that vessel is found dead, and the Lt. is put in charge of the investigation? What if High Guard is used to engage the vessel with the Zho's at the outbreak of the Fifth Frontier War? What if the AHL is boarded?

There's all types of things that could happen.

I believe that a well designed and implemented solo adventure would be incredible--could be incredible, in the hands of the right author.

Last edited:
Hmmm..there is so much here to think about, but just one point, does anyone know about a Computer game that is Sci-fi in nature, but with a similar aspect to something like Baldurs Gate, NWN1 or similar, that could be modded to reflect a traveller like setting? Essentially an SF RPG, but not first person, with more of an "isometric" viewpoint.

In terms of Solo play generally, yes, bring it on. A friend of mine wrote a program (in fortran!) in the 80's that allowed for general trading and gaming that way, starship encounters (the easy part), but getting into the role play and RPG'ing of the game is the difficult part.

S4: fantastic idea with the choose your own adventure, and the card system works quite well too. I'd have a go at writing something like that, but I'd be afraid that I wouldn't be able to bring anything up to peoples standards here.

Hmmm..there is so much here to think about, but just one point, does anyone know about a Computer game that is Sci-fi in nature, but with a similar aspect to something like Baldurs Gate, NWN1 or similar, that could be modded to reflect a traveller like setting? Essentially an SF RPG, but not first person, with more of an "isometric" viewpoint.

One of the most recent is called Metalheart. It's isometric and uses the same rpg system as Fallout.

I think what people have in mind are programmed solos like the T & T solos or the Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks or a board-game/paragraph hybrid like Star Smuggler.

Just found star smuggler freely available for download, authorized by the author/copyright holder... :)

"Dennis Sustare has granted permission for digitized copies of this copyrighted game to be posted for public download.
The game and files are NOT released into the public domain.
You MAY NOT not sell these files or charge a fee for access to them.
You MAY NOT distribute these files except as authorized by Dennis Sustare.
PLEASE RESPECT THE TERMS OF THIS DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT so that these files can remain available for free download."

S4,

Have you any of the T&T solos? I would highly suggest looking a few over if you haven't.

Some of the things you are talking about like how the bad guys act and fight against you are worded very well and don't leave room for a player to fudge --

well a player can always fudge but if you are playing solo then what is the point, eh?

If you don't have any these books, and are interested, drop me a note and I'll see what I can do about getting you some good examples. If there is anything specific you would like to see how its handled then just mention it and I will do what I can to find an example.

Jerry

Not a PC game, but Mass Effect for Xbox360 is pretty close. Third-person RPG shooter, customize your character, travel about the galaxy shooting bad-guys and solving puzzles... and there's "Ancients" too.

-Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back