• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Your Recommended Adventures!

Financial Liability Investigation of Property Loss.

An investigation to determine who is finacially liable when military equipment is lost, damaged or destroyed. Synonyms include Report of Survey, Blame Game, and Witch Hunt.

My Dad noted how in WW II, when his unit had lost a truck to enemy action, it was just amazing how much stuff was on that truck.

Amazing cargo capacity, those trucks.

When i saw the Starship Troopers movie, at the part where the incoming bug asteroid knocks the spaceship's superstructue off, i couldnt help thinking "Glad Im not signed for that."

But, the idea for FLIPLs of the FFW came from thinking about all the materiel, vehicles, ammo and supplies left scattered all over the affected subsectors, and what an adventure it would be to play an IN team of flipl investigators tasked with tracking down lost equipment and assigning financial liabilty to various commanders. It would include going to exotic locations, fighting scavengers, busting pirate bases, buying tons of gear on the salvage black market, and making daring raids into zho territory, because there's no way theyre going to let a trillion credit squadron get taken out of their pay.

Last edited:
My Dad noted how in WW II, when his unit had lost a truck to enemy action, it was just amazing how much stuff was on that truck.

Not just WW2 - I read the book "Peacekeeper" by General Lewis Mackenzie, about the UN peacekeeping mission to Sarajevo when it started falling apart. The Canadian unit had a bunch of stuff still on the books that had really gone missing years before, but when someone started shelling and took out their warehouse, wouldn't you know what was inside.

Try doing a Report of Survey for four M-16s burned in a tent fire in the middle of a field exercise near Fort Greeley, Alaska when the person who has to sign off on it is H. Norman Schwarzkopf.

Another adventure that would be part of FLIPLs of the 5FW would be finding and rescuing wounded soldiers abandoned at casualty collection points, still sleeping in their medical low berths. Imagine cargo containers equipped with a small generator and packed with medical low berths, humming away while the war's been over years.

lbb_gd_simple.cgi

Stamp it "blame the commander" and youre good to go.

I was the immediate commander of the guys who burned down the tent, and they were detailed to another company for work. The individual who ordered them to go on the field exercise without having gone through "Cold Weather Training" was H. Norman Schwarzkopf. That was included in the Report of Survey.

But, the idea for FLIPLs of the FFW came from thinking about all the materiel, vehicles, ammo and supplies left scattered all over the affected subsectors, and what an adventure it would be to play an IN team of flipl investigators tasked with tracking down lost equipment and assigning financial liabilty to various commanders. It would include going to exotic locations, fighting scavengers, busting pirate bases, buying tons of gear on the salvage black market, and making daring raids into zho territory, because there's no way theyre going to let a trillion credit squadron get taken out of their pay.

Man, I dunno.

Sounds like a way to boost your character to "Auditor-3", but, doesn't sounds like a loads of laugh funtime adventure to me.

It depends on a shared context, which i noted originally, and contrasting the investigative nature of that context with action oriented adventures related to the investigation. The humor is in the contrast.

Not just WW2 - I read the book "Peacekeeper" by General Lewis Mackenzie, about the UN peacekeeping mission to Sarajevo when it started falling apart. The Canadian unit had a bunch of stuff still on the books that had really gone missing years before, but when someone started shelling and took out their warehouse, wouldn't you know what was inside.

A warrent officer we worked for had to sign for our test gear; volt meters, signal generators, etc. when a new one came aboard. US Navy.

About the third one I worked for, wanted serial numbers sighted.

Unknown where thousands of dollars of test equipment was missing. Apparently those items fell overboard during a storm a month or so before. Out on the ocean. When there may or may not have actually been a storm. Or something like that.

A warrent officer we worked for had to sign for our test gear; volt meters, signal generators, etc. when a new one came aboard. US Navy.

About the third one I worked for, wanted serial numbers sighted.

Unknown where thousands of dollars of test equipment was missing. Apparently those items fell overboard during a storm a month or so before. Out on the ocean. When there may or may not have actually been a storm. Or something like that.

As a quartermaster officer who had to manage a property book, I asked for serial numbers as those were included. Nothing turned up missing, as the previous officer had also asked for serial numbers. We did have in the brigade a very high loss rate of vapor barrier boots used in extremely cold weather, as I was in Fort Richardson, Alaska. The boots were well liked by guys working on the pipeline and anyone else outside in the winter. Schwarzkopf looked at the loss rate, and what it was doing to our supply budget. The boots were costing the Army $400 a pair at that time. The word came down that one loss per platoon was acceptable, the second lost meant the individual reporting the loss bought the boots and an Article 15. The loss rate dropped drastically. The civilian sellers noticed an immediate increase in sales.

But, the idea for FLIPLs of the FFW came from thinking about all the materiel, vehicles, ammo and supplies left scattered all over the affected subsectors, and what an adventure it would be to play an IN team of flipl investigators tasked with tracking down lost equipment and assigning financial liabilty to various commanders.

I think there was a scenario almost like that - either the Spinward Marches Campaign book (where materiel was claimed as destroyed but instead... diverted), or something from the Alien Realms series of scenarios.

Man, I dunno.

Sounds like a way to boost your character to "Auditor-3", but, doesn't sounds like a loads of laugh funtime adventure to me.

Have you read about the adventures of a mere supply officer in David Drake's "The Forlorn Hope"? ;-)

As a cadet at ROTC summer camp at Ft. Bragg, I lost my ear plugs when the top of their plastic container (attached through the upper buttonhole of the shirt) somehow unscrewed during a night "mission" in the forest and swamp and they must have fallen out - for days our training NCO had me doing pushups (during which I had to loudly chant that "my training sergeant will teach me not to lose my equipment.")
By 1977 I was an infantry first lieutenant and the Executive Officer of A Company. My battalion was out on field maneuvers in California and someone in one of the other rifle companies lost a .45 (damn fool forgot to dummy-chord it to his belt). We had the entire battalion walking on-line through the brush looking for that pistol (and no, we didn't find it). Losing any equipment isn't good, but losing a weapon is particularly bad (for the soldier, his NCO, and his officers).
But you have to be careful what an enterprise's incentives are, because they will direct the results you get. As an example, we had 6 night vision scopes per company (2 per rifle platoon) and never took them to the field to integrate their use with tactical training - they were just too expensive and too delicate to risk losing them in the field. You can imagine how effective we would have been at night operations if the balloon had gone up. (It was "whispered" that during major inspections the company supply sergeants traded with each other excess equipment they had "acquired over time" to ensure no one had any deficiencies.)

Last edited:
Back