• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

1G ship on a 10G world....

TTNE's Contragrav Field (CGF) creates an interesting physics divergence that there's no current way to check: a difference in Inertial mass and gravitic mass.
Yes, that's why it's so problematic...

AS in, the field reduces only the gravitic mass, but the thrust to accelerate by other means than flotation is not reduced by CGFs (and noting that MSL STP is SG=0.001225, and a typical TNE nonwarship ship is SG=(0.5 ... 0.75) - multiplying that by FF&S' "over 99%" ¹ ... gives SG=(0.005...0.00714) - about 5 to 6.5 times the displaced volume. It won't float, but it can allow you to crash surface a boomer as fast as the hull can slip water...
A normal ship will float in water w/o CG, barely.
A ship with CG might float in air if sufficiently light, CG is sufficiently strong, and the atmo is sufficiently dense.

At say ship density of 0.9 tonne/m3, standard air density of 0.0012 tonne/m3, CG would have to be 99.9% effective for the ship to float in air like a hot air ballon.

Basically, very light ships (say, unloaded freighters) might float in very dense atmospheres with CG...

Basically, very light ships (say, unloaded freighters) might float in very dense atmospheres with CG...
Making for a very different approach to GG refueling.

@Mike: the Official Traveller Universe has different physics. The Equivalence principle is irrelevant as it's provably wrong in the OTU. Get over it.

@Mike: the Official Traveller Universe has different physics. The Equivalence principle is irrelevant as it's provably wrong in the OTU. Get over it.
Why should I "get over it" until the nature of gravitic technology in Traveller is explained in at least a plausible in setting way.

I prefer sci fi to sci fantasy, and magic technology is fantasy.

Thermodynamics doesn't exist in the Traveller universe either.

For a more “sensible” explanation of contragrav. It creates a thrust between the area above it and the gravitating mass nearby*. The thrust is proportional to the mass in the area and the strength of the gravitational field. (There maybe some limitation on how much mass can fit in the area or the gravity that can be nullified)

*it interacts with the gravitational field to produce a localized reversed distortion of that gravitational field.

For a world with the same mean density as Earth, I calculated a diameter of 127,243.86 km, or 79,065.669 mi, so your T20 World Builder must be presuming a world with approximately the same mean density as Earth.

In Traveller terms, 1977 Book 2, p. 26 has planetary formulae, the first two of of which are R = D ⁄ 2 and G = K (R ⁄ 4). Since 1 D = a diameter of 1,000 mi, 1 G = Earth gravity, and 1 K = mean Earth density, combine these two formulae to make G = K (D ⁄ 8), which leads to D = 8 G ⁄ K, or D = 8 × 10 ⁄ 1 (for a world with the same mean density as Earth) = 80 = a diameter of 80,000 mi, or 128,747.52 km. Since D typically comes from the size digit of a UWP, a D of 80 is literally off of the Book 6, p. 26 size table. To get the D of a 10 G world back onto the size table, increase K accordingly.
T20 World Builder is compatible and interchangeable with CT (says so in the players manual, plus I did a comparison check). I also just extrapolated from a size 8 world. I did notice, after reading your above post and checking the Traveller Wiki and taking a look over in Freelance Traveller, that a 10G world is about the same size as some really big Gas Giants. The formula you shared isn't in the T20 Players Guide, and although very interesting, would wreck my lazy brain.

While I consider myself weak in the sciences, I consider myself decently strong in Science Fiction, which is one reason I like Traveller so much. If there is something science related in Traveller I don't understand, I check CotI or the TWiki or do a Google Search, make the simplest adjustments, and continue having fun. But I will also admit that I learn a lot from the CotI when the posts get really deep into the differences between Science and Traveller Science.

I did notice, after reading your above post and checking the Traveller Wiki and taking a look over in Freelance Traveller, that a 10G world is about the same size as some really big Gas Giants.
To be more precise, a 10 G world with the same mean density as Earth has a diameter that is approximately halfway between Saturn’s and Jupiter’s diameters. A 10 G world with a greater mean density would have a smaller diameter. (In SI terms, density can be measured in kilograms per cubic meter; in US customary terms, density can be measured in pounds per cubic yard. The ratio between them is just about 900 kg ⁄ m³ = 1,517 lb ⁄ yd³; Earth’s mean density is 5,513.4 kg ⁄ m³, or 9,293.14 lb ⁄ yd³.)

Back