• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Criticism of the Bell Curve

There's always one more thing that draws us back in, isn't there...

Originally posted by tbeard1999:

But are you *sure* that you think CT's combat system is fine? While someone can have a change of heart, yours came awfully suddenly.
I've had no change of heart. I've never felt CT was broken. I do feel like it is a good system and does what it sets out to do.

My attempts to "fix" it are meant to mold it to my personal tastes.

As I said, I like armor absorbing damage. I like to-hit throw representing actual hits on a target. Etc.

So, I re-worked CT to provide that taste.

But, CT, as is, is not, and has never been, broken. It works fine. It's just an abstract system. What I've done is take some of the "abstract-ness" out of the system.

And, I think I've done that nicely.

Anyway, I'll *try* to bow out now and let you continue with your thread.

S4

S4..no degradation of wounds? ...then its broken and cannot be made "realistic"....without that, debating hit points/damage is ludicrous

but then "unless by GM choice" says it all.
and I don't think anyone uses only plain vanilla CT anyways

S4..no degradation of wounds? ...then its broken and cannot be made "realistic"....without that, debating hit points/damage is ludicrous

Originally posted by Ishmael James:

I'm not sure if I've ever met anyone who plays CT straight out of the box un-modded either.

Strange. There's something about Traveller (all versions) that people just need to mod it. I'd say it has something to do with the type of players Traveller attracts, but it attracts me, and I typically don't mod other rpgs I play.

Sure, I'll come up with a tweak here, a prune there. But, for most other rpgs, I don't make any major changes--not near as big or as many as I do with Traveller.

Why is that?

I don't know.

Everybody seems to have their own "House" system when it comes to Trav.

Hmm...maybe it's because the Traveller rules themselves, especially the CT rules, encourage one to think outside of the box and come up with rolls and checks all on his own.

Originally posted by Ishmael James:

I'm not sure if I've ever met anyone who plays CT straight out of the box un-modded either.

Strange. There's something about Traveller (all versions) that people just need to mod it. I'd say it has something to do with the type of players Traveller attracts, but it attracts me, and I typically don't mod other rpgs I play.

Sure, I'll come up with a tweak here, a prune there. But, for most other rpgs, I don't make any major changes--not near as big or as many as I do with Traveller.

Why is that?

I don't know.

Everybody seems to have their own "House" system when it comes to Trav.

Hmm...maybe it's because the Traveller rules themselves, especially the CT rules, encourage one to think outside of the box and come up with rolls and checks all on his own.

Back