• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A real ZG assault rifle

Enoki

SOC-14 1K
I thought this was interesting as it amounts to an actual zero-G ACR or assault rifle you might find in the game

I would call that a "light recoil", not a "no recoil". Certainly better than off the shelf rifle.

It's ability to swap calibers quickly is cool, but not something I think would be necessary in practice.

My point was and is, that it's possible to build a weapon today that has zero recoil using existing technology. That the gun in the video isn't perfect isn't the point. It could be if it needed to be. I don't think that Traveller currently has any such weapons included and they probably should be.

It would be curious what the mechanic is for this rifle. It seems to me that the design of this rifle is not so much to limit recoil, but rather to limit muzzle rise so as to keep the rifle on target during full auto. The recoil is still there, it's just being directed in other directions. So, it's not clear that this design would lead to an actual "recoilless" rifle.

Whereas a normal rifle may shove the shooter back in zero-g, this one may well send you spinning. This is all hand wavy of course, odds are with a normal rifle and classic, "standing" shooting position, the shooter may well spin since the energy is a the end of the persons mass.

Interesting, recoil mitigation is not directly part of the design of this rifle. It's a component, but the patents on the rifle cover the barrel quick change system, the recoil component is a separate patent.

This system does not limit recoil, per se. It limits FELT recoil. Specifically, it's trying to reduce the impact of the bolt carrier with the backstop of the receiver, which delivers a sharper impulse to the shooter. The recoil is still there in the system.

This is in contrast to things like muzzle breaks and compensators which use the cartridge gas, essentially, as "rockets" to reduce felt recoil and control muzzle rise.

It's a question of effectiveness.

The weapon system can't be too heavy or cumbersome, and what you want is a higher percentage of projectiles ending up where they are intended to go.

There have been game systems that allow you to minimize recoil, more in the sense of obtaining accuracy, rather than felt recoil; though someone could explain to me how a gyrostabilizer reduces recoil.

There have been game systems that allow you to minimize recoil, more in the sense of obtaining accuracy,
Well, that's the case here with this rifle apparently. To keep the automatic rifle (particularly one this small) on target. Mind, these are mild rounds. One criticism of the full auto M-14 was that the 7.62 cartridge in that "small" of a rifle at full auto was basically just going to end up shooting in the air.

If it's one shot, one kill, that wouldn't matter that much.

If seven and a half millimetres is intermediate, five and a half millimetres must be light intermediate, and we appear to be moving to six and half millimetres, which should be medium intermediate.

Back