• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Agent (may contain spoilers)

If you had the correct issues of Traveller's Digest, you got some glimmers of the glamor of Capital - and the hedonistic excesses as well.

And Marc had to go and make it seem understated as presented by DGP...

I agree there are a hundred different spin-offs Marc could wing at us...

But does he have one burning to get put on paper?

I have the issue but come on. It eludes to the excess. This makes it clear. Not really surprising.

I have the issue but come on. It eludes to the excess. This makes it clear. Not really surprising.

There are those who prefer their empire's throne rooms to be Austere and Majestic... Gothic, even...:devil:

Excess? How about the Ton Vorn Orbital City on Capital/Sylea, mentioned in T4s Milieu 0, pg45 sidebar, an orbital city know for it's gambling halls...allusions of Vegas come to mind, only 3rd Imperial Capital style!

Excess? How about the Ton Vorn Orbital City on Capital/Sylea, mentioned in T4s Milieu 0, pg45 sidebar, an orbital city know for it's gambling halls...allusions of Vegas come to mind, only 3rd Imperial Capital style!

Somehow, the novel manages to imply a more byzantine/rococo hybrid revival style ON TOP of such excess... Archives long forgotten...

Thanks to a link in a recent thread, I was reading Robject's incredibly wonderful Primordial Cities thread when two neurons fired in my weary wetware.

Deyis II.

Bland scrubbed Deyis II in 501 because a local parasite had jumped to humans causing a slow wasting death while also triggering enough endorphins to make the victim extremely happy while they withered away.

Bland visits Deyis again in 620 and describes a world "... urbs burned to glass, vast stretches of empty terrain punctuated by clouds of radioactives, skies darkened by cascades of dust."

Deyis II is the location of one of the portals to the Primordial City in Knightfall.

Deyis II is the location of Outpost Alpha, MegaTraveller Folio Adventure 2. That adventure is set during the Rebellion and features a biosphere healthy and diverse enough to produce parrot dragons and previously unsuspected sophont race.

Whether the portal survived the scrubbing or not is debatable, but the Deyis of the MT simply cannot exist. Six centuries isn't enough to change the world visited in 620 into the world featured in the MT adventure. Six million years wouldn't be enough.

Agent gets more and more curious.

Last edited:
Deyis II.

Bland scrubbed Deyis II in 501 because a local parasite had jumped to humans causing a slow wasting death while also triggering enough endorphins to make the victim extremely happy while they withered away.

Bland visits Deyis again in 620 and describes a world "... urbs burned to glass, vast stretches of empty terrain punctuated by clouds of radioactives, skies darkened by cascades of dust."

Deyis II is the location of one of the portals to the Primordial City in Knightfall.

Deyis II is the location of Outpost Alpha, MegaTraveller Folio Adventure 2. That adventure is set during the Rebellion and features a biosphere healthy and diverse enough to produce parrot dragons and previously unsuspected sophont race.

Whether the portal survived the scrubbing or not is debatable, but the Deyis of the MT simply cannot exist. Six centuries isn't enough to change the world visited in 620 into the world featured in the MT adventure. Six million years wouldn't be enough.

Agent gets more and more curious.

Development of a 2nd world, in system, after a long time as a red zone.
The new world becomes the new mainworld. The old world is off limits.

Then again, could be Marc is shooting from the hip and is re-writing history like the TL16s,depots, etc.

Development of a 2nd world, in system, after a long time as a red zone. The new world becomes the new mainworld. The old world is off limits.

Two "shirtsleeves" worlds in the same system both of which have UWPs beginning with 874? Too much of a stretch for me.

Hans Rancke did something of the sort with New Rome and Bellona when he re-wrote Leviathan for the year 400 but, while both are shirtsleeve worlds, Hans gave them different UWPs.

Then again, could be Marc is shooting from the hip and is re-writing history like the TL16s,depots, etc.

I'm going with Incredible Plot Twist and/or Eye Popping Wha.... Moment.

Consider...

Spoiler:
Deyis is the first "scrubbing" in which Bland introduces his "Everyone involved cut a pinkie off" requirement.

There's also an incident during the bombardment in which the targeting for several KK objects is wrong and a back-up volley is redirected to the missed spot.

Over a century later, Deyis is the first system Bland "re-visits" as part of the astrofence program he had Stikky write. Bland locates a basement and/or cavern under what had been the Karand's Palace. In it, he retrieves petabytes of Niikiik Luur dating back to the First Imperium and a genetic creche.

I think Mr. Miller has plans for Deyis II which we can only guess at.

Two "shirtsleeves" worlds in the same system both of which have UWPs beginning with 874? Too much of a stretch for me.
I think Mr. Miller has plans for Deyis II which we can only guess at.

I agree with you. But it's interesting to evaluate the options prior to his next book. And if he doesn't include it? Well then the options are all we have. :eek:o:

Thanks to a link in a recent thread, I was reading Robject's incredibly wonderful Primordial Cities thread when two neurons fired in my weary wetware.

Deyis II.

Whether the portal survived the scrubbing or not is debatable, but the Deyis of the MT simply cannot exist.

Perhaps that was the whole point? I don't think the name and exact location being the same are a coincidence.

Whether the portal survived the scrubbing or not is debatable, but the Deyis of the MT simply cannot exist.

I had completely forgotten about this connexion.

For some reason, my brain is telling me that Don had something to do with the choice of Deyis II becoming scrubbed, and it was exactly because of the proto-Primordials there. Don always did have an allergic reaction to Baddies From The Core, i.e. Fugate's vision for the Primordials, to such a degree that he wanted all evidence erased and gone from canon.

I feel non-threatened, intrigued, and happy about the ruins of the Primordials, but I share Don's feeling that they weren't as Joe saw them, and that they're gone for good.

I had completely forgotten about this connexion.

For some reason, my brain is telling me that Don had something to do with the choice of Deyis II becoming scrubbed, and it was exactly because of the proto-Primordials there.

I was of the understanding (via Hunter) that the Primordials were decanonized completely.

The MT Ref's Folio incarnation now becomes a lost settlement of Kebhk. Lost is not a great surprise if the scrubbing is under secrecy and interdicted.

They just have no 11th hour connection to the next step in the MT Spectator Metaplot.

*** What is the MT Spectator Metaplot? ***

MegaTraveller was widely criticized for holding the biggest spectator event in RPG metaplot history, the vast and plodding Rebellion itself. War so big and opponents so intractable that PCs could never do anything about it.

After GDW, in the persons of Chuck Gannon and (at the end) Dave Nilsen, began to reclaim the progress of the story from DGP, DGP made a last pitch for what they had planned to do going forward: yet another war. This time an invasion from coreward by a race that emanated so strongly in psionic bands as a part of their FTL that they were driving the Zhodani mad and would carve a huge wedge into the map to get to their destination, Deyis II.

GDW and most of the fanbase said "Nope".

Of course, what we got instead was Virus. I was fine with it (since it was backstory instead of a month by month metaplot slog), but a lot of people were upset at having the house burn down anyway.

I was of the understanding (via Hunter) that the Primordials were decanonized completely.

That might be true. I think Don tried to convince me of that as well. However, Knightfall is a canon adventure. Therefore someone existed before the Ancients and created two portal-access-only cities as portrayed in the adventure. Their features are described in the adventure -- including some non-canon features.

So Knightfall straddles the line.

MegaTraveller was widely criticized for holding the biggest spectator event in RPG metaplot history, the vast and plodding Rebellion itself. War so big and opponents so intractable that PCs could never do anything about it.

After going through the early issues of JTAS, I have concluded that the Fifth Frontier War was a dress-rehearsal for the Rebellion.

(1) vast and plodding (note how many issues it takes from start to finish with no real action) -- check.

(2) PCs could never do anything about it -- check.

After going through the early issues of JTAS, I have concluded that the Fifth Frontier War was a dress-rehearsal for the Rebellion.

(1) vast and plodding (note how many issues it takes from start to finish with no real action) -- check.

(2) PCs could never do anything about it -- check.

But big plus in its favor: It had an expected and realized endpoint after which things returned to relative normalcy - something that the Rebellion was specifically set up to never do.

Back