• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

An Earlier View of Venus

Timerover51

SOC-14 5K
The following quote comes from a book published in 1918, giving a view of the conditions on Venus. The author, Svante Arrhenius, won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1903. I am not sure why he felt that he was competent enough to comment on Venusian planetology, but is should give a lot of ideas on planet conditions on a hot, wet planet for planet developers. He also discusses conditions on Mars as well. The book is The Destinies of the Stars, and can be found on Project Gutenberg.

Very different conditions obtain on our neighbour planet, which is closer both to the Sun and to ourselves, the radiant Venus, an object of interested human attention already in ancient times. The average temperature there is calculated to about 47° C. (116.6° F.) assuming the sun constant to two calories per cubic centimeter (.061 cu. in.) per minute. The humidity is probably about six times the average of that on the Earth, or three times that in Congo where the average temperature is 26° C. (78.8° F). The atmosphere of Venus holds about as much water vapour 5 km. (3.1 miles) above the surface as does the atmosphere of the Earth at the surface. We must therefore conclude that everything on Venus is dripping wet. The rainstorms on the other hand do not necessarily bring greater precipitation than with us. The cloud-formation is enormous and dense rainclouds travel as high up as 10 km. (6.2 miles). The heat from the Sun does not attack the ground but the dense clouds, causing a powerful external circulation of air which carries the vapour to higher strata where it condenses into new clouds. Thus, an effective barrier is formed against horizontal air currents in the great expanses below. At the surface of Venus, therefore, there exists a complete absence of wind both vertically, as the Sun’s radiation is absorbed by the ever present clouds above, and horizontally due to friction. Disintegration takes place with enormous rapidity, probably about eight times as fast as on the Earth, and the violent rains carry the products speedily downhill where they fill the valleys and the oceans in front of all river mouths.

A very great part of the surface of Venus is no doubt covered with swamps, corresponding to those on the Earth in which the coal deposits were formed, except that they are about 30° C. (54° F.) warmer. No dust is lifted high into the air to lend it a distinct colour; Only the dazzling white reflex from the clouds reaches the outside space and gives the planet its remarkable, brilliantly white, lustre. The powerful air currents in the highest strata of the atmosphere equalize the temperature difference between poles and equator almost completely so that a uniform climate exists all over the planet analogous to conditions on the Earth during its hottest periods.

The temperature on Venus is not so high as to prevent a luxuriant vegetation. The constantly uniform climatic conditions which exist everywhere result in an entire absence of adaptation to changing exterior conditions. Only low forms of life are therefore represented, mostly no doubt belonging to the vegetable kingdom; and the organisms are nearly of the same kind all over the planet. The vegetative processes are greatly accelerated by the high temperature. Therefore, the lifetime of the organisms is probably short. Their dead bodies, decaying rapidly, if lying in the open air, fill it with stifling gases; if embedded in the slime carried down by the rivers, they speedily turn into small lumps of coal, which, later, under the pressure of new layers combined with high temperature, become particles of graphite. Fossils proper are not formed as was also the case in the early periods of the Earth.

The temperature at the poles of Venus is probably somewhat lower, perhaps about 10° C. (18° F.) than the average temperature on the planet. The organisms there should have developed into higher forms than elsewhere, and progress and culture, if we may so express it, will gradually spread from the poles toward the equator. Later, the temperature will sink, the dense clouds and the gloom disperse, and some time, perhaps not before life on the Earth has reverted to its simpler forms or has even become extinct, a flora and a fauna will appear, similar in kind to those that now delight our human eye, and Venus will then indeed be the “Heavenly Queen” of Babylonian fame, not because of her radiant lustre alone, but as the dwelling place of the highest beings in our solar system.

Cool.

One can see how this conception of Venus, or something like it, was used in planetary romance stories by Burroughs and Kline, and also by HPL and a co-author.

It would make a fine planet for a Traveller game.

Livable for Terrans, if not especially comfortable without air-conditioned dry habitats. Houseboats, maybe?

Hot, Humid and habitable...

Not too unlike its vision in Space 1889...

Starport Type D (poor quality)
Size 8 (12,800 km diameter)
Atmosphere 6 (standard)
Hydrographics 8 (85% surface covered in bodies of water/extensive wetlands)
Population 5(100k+)
Government 1(company/corporate)
Law Level 3 (no heavy weapons)
Tech Level 6(mid-20th Century)

I'll add to this later.

I random rolled everything except the plug-in physical/environmental values: size, atmo, hydro.( much of the land is heavily eroded ridge and gully country topped with jungles).

Coal power or biomass/woodgas may be in wide use.

Last edited:
Hot, Humid and habitable...

Not too unlike its vision in Space 1889...
AFB but 1889 was working with cutting-edge knowledge (and "knowledge") from c1900 to build their Solar System. This thread took me back down Memory Lane for a bit.

In Starman Jones by Asimov, Venus was a swamp. I remember a number of stories written way back in the 1950s saying Venus was a large swamp. And Mars was dry with maybe water in channels.

I remember when probes went to Venus, and the temperatures hot enough to melt lead was found there. There was lots of disappointment over that. I still enjoy the Venus as swamp stories though.

In Starman Jones by Asimov, Venus was a swamp. I remember a number of stories written way back in the 1950s saying Venus was a large swamp. And Mars was dry with maybe water in channels.

I remember when probes went to Venus, and the temperatures hot enough to melt lead was found there. There was lots of disappointment over that. I still enjoy the Venus as swamp stories though.

There was a lot of hope BITD to find life off earth within our solar system. Pre 1950, there was still hope that maybe there'd even be life in our planetary system (Earth-Moon), and almost an expectation of life elsewhere in the solar system.

More surprisingly, some authors actually got things close to correct before the planetary probes. For all it's space-opera feel, Doc Smith was starkly close on a number of planets.

There was a lot of hope BITD to find life off earth within our solar system. Pre 1950, there was still hope that maybe there'd even be life in our planetary system (Earth-Moon), and almost an expectation of life elsewhere in the solar system.

More surprisingly, some authors actually got things close to correct before the planetary probes. For all it's space-opera feel, Doc Smith was starkly close on a number of planets.

Skylark Duquense ?

I also liked his Triplanetary stories. Been decades since I read them.

Excuse me, but what does this acronym stand for here?
AFB = Away From Books
(In this case, I would have to dig through the extra-large closet which a realtor might call 'a garage' to find them.)

And I see somebody else beat me to it.

Whomsoever are you talking about, ROFLMAO

Away From Books

Thank you. Sometimes I (and I guess other non-native English speakers) have problems with acronyms.

The only meaning I knew (I guess as wargamer I am) for AFB was Air Force Base, and of course, it was not the meaning this time...

AFB = Away From Books
(In this case, I would have to dig through the extra-large closet which a realtor might call 'a garage' to find them.)

And I see somebody else beat me to it.

I also was wondering about the acronym. A large number of members of the forum use acronyms without bothering to think that other members might not have the foggiest idea of what they are talking about.

There does exist a thread about common abbreviations for this reason. Looks like this particular abbreviation wasn't listed on it, however.

I get a lot of those from all over (being an "older" developer, a lot of the chat abbreviations from the younger devs I have to look up; thank goodness for search engines!) And just add in the abbreviations, shortcuts, slang, emoticons that apparently do have meanings...I need a Babel fish!

Need to get back on topic. Hmm, Venus, swamps, maybe some Flash Gordon references. Nope, got nothing at the moment.

A large number of members of the forum use acronyms without bothering to think that other members might not have the foggiest idea of what they are talking about.
That sounds like my first reaction to reading (or trying to read) Twitter.

Cool.

One can see how this conception of Venus, or something like it, was used in planetary romance stories by Burroughs and Kline, and also by HPL and a co-author.

It would make a fine planet for a Traveller game.

Livable for Terrans, if not especially comfortable without air-conditioned dry habitats. Houseboats, maybe?

David Drake used that vision of Venus - but he cheated, claiming that that was "after a massive terraforming effort". He strongly based this on Henry Kuttner's 1943 "Clash by night".

http://david-drake.com/2000/surface-action/
SURFACE ACTION came about because Marty Greenberg was packaging a series of dos-a-dos short novels for Tor Books, pairing a classic with new work by a contemporary author. He suggested that I write a sequel to Clash By Night, written in 1943 by Henry Kuttner with input from his wife CL Moore (billing themselves as Lawrence O’Donnell). I first read Clash by Night when I was thirteen, and it’d made an enormous impact on me. I agreed.

http://david-drake.com/2000/the-jungle/
THE JUNGLE grew out of the series of Tor dos-a-dos double novels which I discuss in my comments on Surface Action. You can check the background there, so I won’t repeat myself.

Tor had terminated that series, but my plan remained basically the same: to write a short novel that could be packaged with Henry Kuttner’s novella Clash By Night. That 1943 classic was a formative influence on me, and I wanted to bring it back into print.

I like to stretch myself in my writing by doing something new each time. The setting of this one would be the same Kuttner Venus as Surface Action: land masses covered with ravening jungles; domed underwater cities; and competition between cities through proxy battles by fleets of mercenary warships.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1861065.Seas_of_Venus

It has been ages since I have read "Clash by Night". That was a story I enjoyed a lot when I read it lo so many, many moons ago.

Back