• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Silurian hypothesis

Did you have lot of folks circa Ancient Greece learning Computer-1 or Gunnery?
I'm sure that if a Barbarian is intelligent or curious enough, they could learn a little about 'computers or gunnery' without giving up their culture and/or beliefs. If a Barbarian is enchanted enough by technology, they might give up their old culture and convert to the new culture. At this point, they are no longer a Barbarian but a Technologically Savvy Traveller.

While I find the question a little silly and disingenuous, I will still answer it. :confused:

I have never, ever had a player ask to play an Ancient Greek in Traveller, ever. Nor have I ever had a GM run a Traveller game set in Ancient Greece. Interesting game you play sir. Glad you had fun playing your way. :) (y)
Someone actually wrote a Traveller variant for the ancient greek/roman era. So, no, it's not of need either disingenuous nor silly. More than one, actually, as I've two on my old computer, and a third on this one.
And the ancient greeks had at least one computing device for certain: The Antikythera Device, a calendar/orrery. certain descriptions of other devices, once thought to be mere legend, now have peopla actually making them with techniques demonstrated to be period appropriate and resulting in a working reimplementation of the quite broken Antikythera Device. Clickspring, on youtube, did a whole series on making it, documenting his techniques and materials. Gorgeous little beast.

Someone actually wrote a Traveller variant for the ancient greek/roman era. So, no, it's not of need either disingenuous nor silly. More than one, actually, as I've two on my old computer, and a third on this one.
The idea of Greek/Roman era game was not what I felt was silly and disingenuous. I have played Rider and the Sword of Cepheus so era crossing rule sets are not what I found disingenuous nor silly. It was the question itself that was.

I said I had never tracked the TL a skill was earned at, to then be asked how many Ancient Greeks I had learn Computer - 1 or Gunnery. That, to me, felt like a personal jab and a gate keeping question. If it was not, then I am sorry, I wish he had worded his question differently. :confused:

Last edited:
And the ancient greeks had at least one computing device for certain: The Antikythera Device, a calendar/orrery. certain descriptions of other devices, once thought to be mere legend, now have peopla actually making them with techniques demonstrated to be period appropriate and resulting in a working reimplementation of the quite broken Antikythera Device. Clickspring, on youtube, did a whole series on making it, documenting his techniques and materials. Gorgeous little beast.
Looked up the A. Device on the Wiki. An interesting read for many reasons. Thanks for sharing.

Tomfoolery aside, I am about 80% certain the LBB2 computers correspond to the US naval fire control computers, with Model/1 being the US battleship analog computers.

Back