• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Annic Nova and Victoria

Right, the 18 pages regarding CT combat . . . show some strong divisions along the very lines I'm talking about here.

MMM,

I'm afraid I don't follow you, especially this "school" nonsense you're talking about.

I reviewed the pertinent LBB:1 sections after posting, plus the errata thread Wil linked. There really aren't any questions here.

In any event, I'll try an example. (snip of example)

Where's the problem? Bob loses one point of DEX for every week he spends in the lowlands. There's nothing to suggest that this loss of DEX somehow doesn't count if he gets wounded or has to recover from wounds. It's a long term pernicious poisoning and is presented as such.

Again, I think you're reading way too much into this. The errata Wil and I spoke about has to do with combat wounding and not poisoning.

... but ultimately there is the division between theory and practice.

What division? I can't quite grasp what you're thinking here. You spend a week in the lowlands and you lose a point off your DEX stat. You spend a week in the highlands and you get the stat back. You use those diminished stats in the mean time. What's so hard to understand about that?

Has anybody actually put this into practice, or experienced it as a player-character?

Have you ever played Shadows?

Exotic atmospheres have been part of Traveller since the beginning, there's a special supplement for them, and, as a very recent thread points out, they're a very good way to create those We're Not In Kansas Anymore moments that make the game so much fun.

Or is Victoria's unique atmosphere just one for the books, a quaint detail with no real effect on adventuring?

Quaint with no real effect? The average PC has less then two months to hike out of the Victorian lowlands before dying? That's quaint with no real effect?

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
IMTU

ANNIC NOVA is a Geonee design in my adventures.

I try not to argue 'how many angels can dance on a pins head' so beloved of many devoted TRAV fans (or most any fandom). Even words such as capacitor may mean something different in 3K years.

Example:
Torpedo (coined 1800 by Robert Fulton) referred to towed explosive behind a sub.
Torpedo meant fixed or floating sea mine in 1862, land mine too in 1864.
Torpedo meant the modern definition in 1866 with Whitehead torpedo.
Torpedo picked up secondary meaning of a hitman in Capone's gangland world.

Torpedo: A railway detonator (called a torpedo in North America)... a device used to make a loud sound as a warning signal to train drivers. The detonator is the size of a large coin with two lead straps, one on each side. The detonator is placed on the top of the rail and the straps are used to secure it. When the wheel of the train passes over, it explodes emitting a loud bang. It was invented in 1841 by English inventor Edward Alfred Cowper.

Tell about your hard hike(s) out of the Victorian lowlands

Quaint with no real effect? The average PC has less then two months to hike out of the Victorian lowlands before dying? That's quaint with no real effect?

Apparently my "call for old war stories from planet Victoria" was not heard at all.

The JTAS article gives us "theory." I was asking for reports on "practice." In part because I am dubious, as well as being barely curious.

Again, in language more plain: Has anybody experienced the carboxyl poisoning aspect of planet Victoria, as a player, or engineered such a thing for players as a game master? Any and all details would be greatly appreciated.

If nobody has experienced it, for one reason or another, then it truly would be a merely quaint detail.

I've subjected my Players to every hardship I could think of over the years. While I have not used Victoria in any of my adventures, I've used the wonderfully chaotic atmosphere of Esharr (SP? From Ordeal by Esharr) as well as the ticking time bomb of the corrosive atmosphere in the adventure Shadows (couple of times for different groups). Not to mention all those times, whether on the airless ball of rock in Across the Bright Face or the just adventuring in a airless enviornment (I'd keep careful tabs on air consumption, including my house rule of losing 1D6 X 5 minutes of air supply lost per round of failed Vacc Suit task per puncture).

Hell, given all the planets where you need a filter mask and/or a compressor to breathe, having the Players waltz around the old "Class M" a la Star Trek was really rare.

So, given all the above, any who'd ever gamed with me wouldn't bat an eye at the atmosphere restrictions on Victoria. They'd probably think I'd gotten soft giving them so much time to climb up to the required height to survive.

I too built Annic Nova using FFS1.

I built it around a TL16 Battery......

Now I will just hand wave it as a ship built around an Ancient Artifact......

I also required the J drive in it to require jump initiation outside the gravity Well of the star (ala Battletech)....rather than 100 diameters. This made travel to and from Jump points very lengthy.

The pinnaces, were Imperial standard designs.

I still have not decided on who built the ship, Maybe a very rich eccentric noble family....
We may never know.

Back