• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Building the playground: what do we want out of this?

I think we're all aware of how most of us feel about the UWPs, etc. Perhaps it's time to move on to another subject, one that might get us somewhere on this project?

Instead of just saying genericly "better UWPs", why don't we talk about something more specific. We understand the more realistic UWPs part, Malenfant. Now it's time to move on to something that actually moves this project forward. At least, in my opinion, it's that time.

Just a thought,
Flynn

I think I've siad this on another thread, but from what I can gather, the UWP generation system was never intended as THE way of producing star maps, just an aid for when the ref needed a subsector in a hurry.

We shouldn't really try to keep based in the seventies too much either. After all, back then, we all assumed we'd be wearing silver bell bottoms in the 21st century, and living on protein pills.

We should be able to find a way to update everything without compromising the spirit of Traveller.

We also need to consider that there hopefully will be new generations of Traveller, and we might put them off if it's too rooted in 70's futurology.

One last thought; aren't we all so enthusiastic about this cuz we can produce a setting that is true Traveller but without the annoying inconsistencies and fudges that come out of an imperfect generational system.

PS: I never roll UWP's; I think them up and make sure they fit within the parameters of the rules. Its quicker and more consistent and it fits the flavour of what I want the ss to be better. Its not that hard, only 8 digits!

Well, as I said elsewhere, we're at the stage where we're figuring out races and polities here. Since some people seem to think I'm taking over this project, I'm leaving it up to everyone else to figure those out. You've got the maps, you've got a proposed settlement history for the region, you've got a potential list of habitable "core" worlds adapted from AotI (here are the hex locations for them. You don't have to stick to these, but if you need some locations to get the creative process started then here they are):

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Alpha quadrant:

Beta Quadrant:

Gamma Quadrant:

Delta Quadrant:
3238</pre>[/QUOTE]I think that must be enough for people to start coming up with ideas for races and polities, surely. UWPs can be left for later, if you have specific worlds in mind for whatever you propose then just put them in and we can mould everything around those.

I do have ideas for specific worlds but don't necessarily care where they are, so they can be placed wherever seems likely.

What about a mixed approach, that can then be calibrated once we have a draught?

I've been looking at Klaus' notes, routes and groupings on Mal's sector map. I'm drawn to the Indy trade worlds/smuggling route since it passes through the two ss I'll be working on.

Man, this is a massive Main. It stretches through five ss in moving from inside Sol territory in I and J ss to just short of the Hiver border in K ss. 36 systems in all, if I can count correctly.

Plus, there is a little J-2 shortcut through J ss which will save at least a month when traveling from one end of the main to the other. The key to this shortcut is one isolated system in hex 1522. I've got an interesting idea for that system.

But the entire Main has a lot of potential. I think we need a good name for this Main. Any suggestions?

(I'll start a seperate thread for this.)

Back