• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Buying and selling used gear and starships

RogerD

SOC-12
Does anyone know of rules about buying and selling used gear and starships in any edition of Traveller, including house rules?

Obviously a GM can make stuff up on the fly or houserule, but I figured someone has written some rules someplace.

I had been thinking that the QREBS rules from T5 would be helpful in this regard. I posted over in the T5 forum about this, but didn't get any pointers, so I thought I'd ask my questions slightly differently here instead.

I think the dungeon master has to figure this out on his own, specifically starships, in line with how he wants his campaign to operate.

'Cos, free market economix are difficult to calibrate here.

You could calculate how much utility you would be able to squeeze out of a rock (assuming planetoid hull), in a set time period, for second hand, perhaps twenty years, and discount opportunity cost.

I think the dungeon master has to figure this out on his own, specifically starships, in line with how he wants his campaign to operate.

'Cos, free market economix are difficult to calibrate here.

You could calculate how much utility you would be able to squeeze out of a rock (assuming planetoid hull), in a set time period, for second hand, perhaps twenty years, and discount opportunity cost.
StarMaster, tyvm.

To OP, starships are solidly built due to the demanding environment they operate in, and greater cost. A simple system might be 1% per aged year, with quirks per the MgT1 table thrown for every 10 years.

Those quirks can grant extra bonus/equipment, but also has banes of dangerously less capability or greater operating cost requiring millions to fix.

For vehicles, equipment and weapons, perhaps a rate of 1% per stored year and 10% per use year and a quirk table appropriate to them. So buying surplus can be a thing but at some risk.

Items not warranted or quirks required to be disclosed/reported. Buyer beware and responsible for inspection prior to purchase. All sales final.

So does TNE, in the core. Different from those in MGT
Are you referring to the wear value rules or something else?

I thought about treating the ship itself as a trade good in the trade and commerce rules. I don’t think I will go down that route though. In any case those rules would need adaptation.

Are you referring to the wear value rules or something else?

I thought about treating the ship itself as a trade good in the trade and commerce rules. I don’t think I will go down that route though. In any case those rules would need adaptation.
The Wear Value is a divisor of base price.
Then you negotiate it.

Back