• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules Only: The Advantages of Low Tech Starships

FF&S has Thruster Plates (among other things) as alternative tech.

1000 Diameters of what? Anything?

Sun it 865K miles in diameter, so 1000 diameters is 865M miles. Saturns influence is 72M miles, giving 937M miles of 1000 diameters to work with. Saturn should JUST fit.

What's funny about these is that the drive flames out during the decel phase, so the ship will have to turn over early and coast when it reaches the threshold.
For Sol, 1000D ~= 9.3AU
The semimajor orbital distance of Saturn is 9.588AU. And with an eccentricity of 0.056, it's average distance is a hair over 9AU, and the semiminor axis is 8.527AU, well inside the 1000D line.

Thank you. That's the first time I ever plugged in the numbers. I have new ideas now.

Last edited:
1. There's a reason why Tee Fifty Fives are so numerous and still employed: they exist, and you can upgrade them.

2. Speaking of which, the equivalent would be the hundred tonne Scout.

3. How much is a Scout on the second hand market?

"I had to know!"

So, I threw together a quick book 1 navy char generator to answer the question "Assuming someone would dedicate their career to navigation, what are the best navigators the navy can produce? and how many?".

Simply, I rolled up 10000 characters. I tried to enlist them in to the navy, then I dropped those that did enlist but didn't meet the EDU 8+ requirement, since the Navy makes Navigation an Advanced 8+ Education table skill (vs the Scouts, which will apparently train anybody).

Then, whenever these folks got a skill, they rolled on that table, trying for Navigation.

Out of the 10,000 I started with, 5571 actually enlisted. Of those, 2728 were educated enough. (What I did not do is try to improve the uneducated to where they could actually train in navigation in a later term.).

Of the 2728 that passed, 636 didn't survive. Of the survivors, what did we get?

Nav +0828
Nav +1689
Nav +2347
Nav +3150
Nav +452
Nav +516
Nav +610

Why is this important?

Simply, while certainly rare, there are "instant" navigators out there. These would be cherished by intelligence agencies and mega-corps. (One of the +6 navigators is only 5 terms, so that one is actually pretty young, most were 8 terms.)

So, anyway, curiosity sated.
Thanks! Yes, I did think there would be the those best ones, sort of cool to think about too, I mean the bad ass navigator is not something in the lore for the most part.

Back