• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MGT Only: Callisto-class 9G shuttle.

the MgT2e HG rules allow for M drives with a 9G rating, which opens up some interesting options for in-system craft. Such a vessel would, over most distances encountered in a system, be faster than using a micro-jump. I think their is a niche for a fast ship that could link distant parts of a system together.

Here is my attempt at such a ship:

Sassanid industries Callisto-9 express shuttle.

The Callisto-9 Is a family of high speed shuttles, built around a common spaceframe and engine that can accelerate the 90 dton vessel at 9G, making the Callisto among the fastest ships in Charted Space. This high speed is major feature and selling point of the Calisto in its intended role as a extended range in-system transport. Over short distances, the extra acceleration does not provide much benefit over slower, cheaper shuttles, but on longer routes the Callisto can shave significant amounts of time off the journey, increasing work rates and thus profits.

The Callisto-9 is a two deck design, with the upper deck containing the flight deck, sensors, the fuel storage, power plant and the powerful gravitic engines (in short, everything needed by the shuttle to fly) , while the lower deck contains the 65 ton payload area.

The payload area varies by model. The most common variants are:

Callisto-90: a short haul cargo ship. The full 65 tons are used as cargo space. It is used mainly in and around system main worlds for transfers to that planet's L-points, often time sensitive cargos or emergency supplies. A relatively uncommon model, due the low demand for very high speed cargo transport, as most companies are unwilling to pay the extra for a few hours faster travel, when a slower, but much cheaper option is available. It is used by some planetary governments as a transport.

The Callisto 91 is a passenger shuttle built for the same short and medium duration trips as the Callisto-90. With seating for 40 passengers, it carries the most passengers of any civilian variant, and has sufficient facilities to keep them acceptably comfortable for about 12 hours. This model popular model with in system “commuter” companies, who find the extra speed (and shorter flight times) let them charge a little extra on ticket prices, as well as ensure a steady stream of customers to value their time over their money.

The Callisto 92 is passenger/cargo combi variant, often working alongside the 91 on some routes. The smaller cabin allows for roomier cargo bay. The 92 is popular in some asteroid belt systems, as it can provide a fast passenger and cargo service to link up the major asteroids of a system more efficiently than a slower ship could. indeed, by allowing a trip within a single working day, as opposed to a “overnight” trip (with its requirements for staterooms, common areas and steward staff), the 92 can be cheaper on some routes. Both for the operator and the passengers.

The Callisto 93 is a long haul cargo shuttle, intended for transferring goods between planets in a system. While the Callisto-90 has only a small market, the Callisto-93 has a significantly larger potential market, as companies are willing to pay the extra costs on these longer routes, where the 93 can shave several days or even weeks of the transit compared to other ships, allowing a much higher work rate and thus profit. Fitted with a single stateroom, piloting a 93 is often a lonely job, and attracts those to enjoy solitude. A significant number of detached duty Scouts have been noted to pilot the 93.

The Callisto-94 is a long haul passenger model, with 10 passenger staterooms and a small cargo bay for their baggage. This Model is often used to provide a faster, cheaper link to distant planets in a system, and over most distances in a system is faster than a jumpship.

Despite the high performance levels, the Callisto-9 series are based on readily available TL13 technologies, and can be built by many small craft yards in the Imperium, ensuring brisk sales and widespread use in its niche roles. A military spec version have been produced, known as the Charon, with an armoured hull and firmpoints, and used as a “chase” craft.

Ship stat sheet:

Callisto 90 cargo shuttle

Hull: 90 tons streamlined: (5.4Mcr)
M drive: 9G (8 tons, 16 Mcr)
P plant: fusion-12, 120 PP (8 tons, 8 Mcr)
Fuel: 1 ton (~5 weeks)

Bridge & Electronics: standard Bridge (6 tons 0.5 Mcr)
Computer: Comp/15 (2 Mcr)
software:
Maneuver/0
Intellect/10 (1 Mcr)
Library.0

Sensors: Military Grade (2 tons, 2Mcr)
Cargo space: 65 tons

Total cost, 34.9 Mcr
Running costs: 2908 Cr/month
monthly mortgage cost: 145,416 Cr/month

Power consumption:

Basic systems: 18PP
M dive: 81 PP
Sensors: 2 PP
Total: 101 PP

Varients:
Callisto 91 Short Haul Passenger shuttle
as per C-90, but
Cabin space: (40 persons) (60 tons 3 Mcr)
Cargo space: 5 tons
Total Variant cost: 37.9 Mcr
Running costs: 3,158 Cr/month
monthly mortgage cost: 157,916 Cr/Month

Callisto 92 Short Haul Combi shuttle
as per C-90, but
Cabin space (26 persons) (39 tons, 1.9Mcr)
Cargo space (26 tons)
Total Variant cost: 36.8 Mcr
Running costs: 3,066 CR/month
monthly mortgage cost: 153,333 Cr/Month

Callisto 93 Long Haul Cargo shuttle
as per C-90, but
Stateroom (4 tons 0.5 Mcr)
Common room (1 ton 0.1 Mcr)
Cargo space (60 tons)
Total Variant cost: 36 Mcr
Running costs: 3,000 Cr/month
monthly mortgage cost: 150,000 Cr/month

Callisto 94 Long Haul Passenger shuttle
as per C-90, but
Long Haul Passenger Variant:
11 staterooms (44 tons, 5.5 Mcr)
Common area (11 tons 1.1 Mcr)
Cargo: 10 tons
Total Variant cost: 41.5 Mcr
Running costs: 3458 Cr/month
monthly mortgage cost: 172,916 Cr/Month

Last edited:
For a civilian model I would skimp on computer and sensors. With a m/10 and basic sensors you would save MCr 6, fairly noticeable?

At TL13 an Advanced power plant could save you a little space and money. A 6 dT, MCr 6.6, Power 100 plant would save you 2 dT and MCr 1.4 but eliminate the power reserve.

A Light hull would save you another MCr 1, bringing the basic craft down to MCr ~27.

Filled with staterooms it would cost MCr 36.
A 5G version would cost MCr 26.

So for ~40% extra cost you would travel 33% faster (and hence do more trips), so the ticket prices would be similar. 9G shuttles seems generally competitive, not just for express routes!

For a civilian model I would skimp on computer and sensors. With a m/10 and basic sensors you would save MCr 6, fairly noticeable?

At TL13 an Advanced power plant could save you a little space and money. A 6 dT, MCr 6.6, Power 100 plant would save you 2 dT and MCr 1.4 but eliminate the power reserve.

A Light hull would save you another MCr 1, bringing the basic craft down to MCr ~27.

Filled with staterooms it would cost MCr 36.
A 5G version would cost MCr 26.

So for ~40% extra cost you would travel 33% faster (and hence do more trips), so the ticket prices would be similar. 9G shuttles seems generally competitive, not just for express routes!

my thinking was that while most people are unwilling to pay extra to ship cargo faster, they would be more willing to cough up a bit more for faster passenger transport, particularly if that extra time amounted to several days, like it would on a long in-system trip.

Earth to, say, Neptune is about 30AU, or 4,500,000,000 km. if my maths is right, a 1G ship would take about 15.5 days to travel that and break to zero. a 9G ship does it in about 5.2 days. that's a big saving. at 1G, its quicker and easier to just do a microjump, but 9G gets you there about 2 whole days faster, which is enough to justify at least comparable prices to a 1-parsec trip.

this is like my third ship I have built in the Mgt2e rules, so I appreciate the comments and critique your right, I should strip down the sensors and computer, which would lead to big savings in the mortgage costs (the killer in any commercial ship).

I know very little about Mongoose Trav. I'm curious about the planes-versus-trains analysis: how much do the 1G "trains" cost for mortgage and running costs, and how long do they take compared to this "jet"?

I'm also curious about where you'd find a market? Does the Mongoose TU have many systems with significantly populated deep-space regions? Or are you looking primarily at asteroid-belt settlements and getting from one end of the belt to the other quickly?

A 9G shuttle costs about MCr 27 with 69 dT payload. A sample in-system trip (200 million km) would take 26 h.
A 1G shuttle costs about MCr 8 with 80 dT payload. The same in-system trip would take 79 h.

So, for 3,4 times the cost you can take 3 times as many trips. The ticket prices should be comparable.

As for markets, as in any other edition of Traveller, well-populated systems generally have outposts on other planets in the system. E.g. the Regina system has 4 planets, 2 of which are GG. Regina is a moon in orbit around the outmost GG. Small outposts are present on all major planets, and all moons around the primary GG. The farming colony on Brumaire has millions of inhabitants. There is even a military base on a moon in the companion system.

Last edited:
my thinking was that while most people are unwilling to pay extra to ship cargo faster, they would be more willing to cough up a bit more for faster passenger transport, particularly if that extra time amounted to several days, like it would on a long in-system trip.
I agree, but the economics of the fast shuttles seems rather good. If you work out the complete economics of a shuttle operation, I think you will find that the express shuttle ticket prices are not very much higher than slow shuttle prices.

Generally, higher factored manoeuvre drives are built at more advanced technological levels, so manufacturing, operating, and maintenance costs may favour the lower factors, on a case by case basis.

I agree, but the economics of the fast shuttles seems rather good. If you work out the complete economics of a shuttle operation, I think you will find that the express shuttle ticket prices are not very much higher than slow shuttle prices.

I'm surprised that MgT makes it so favorable. It's not just the long trips that benefit. With flight times of a third that of the 1G transport, it converts some of the mid-range flights from sleepers to day-trips, which can make them both more attractive and more cost-effective.

Cargo tends to fall into two categories: pipeline stuff that is going someplace in consistent predictable quantities (so transport cost plays a bigger role than time) and stuff that is more volatile in terms of demand. The interplanetary equivalent of coal takes the slow train, but a seller might grab a competitive edge by being able to deliver a specialty-made sofa faster than his competition.

In T5 standard maneuver drive performance is now:
TL9 1g
TL10 3g
TL11 5g
TL12 7g
TL13 9g
which is mirrored in the MgT HG2e maneuver drive table.
If this is the new paradigm for the OTU, including the historical 3I then the Imperium has had the capability to build 9g craft for almost a thousand years.

I quite like this because it maintains the setting reason for insystem jumps at lower TLs.

By TL12 I have to wonder if there is a need for insystem jumps anymore or is it faster to just go through normal space at 7g

Last edited:
Back