• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Church of the Maker

I posted the question in this forum because I found the Makerites in an official source. The author has kindly answered my question, and if I post about anything I do to personalize it for my own game it'll be in the My Traveller Universe forum.

Makers: the Pantheon

In Traveller 5.10, we have a selection of Makers:

GunMaker
ArmorMaker
VehicleMaker
ThingMaker

Now reintroducing a long-present but not forgotten:

CoffeeMaker :coffeecup: :coffeesip: :cool:

"Bless the Maker and his coming and going..."

Religion should not automatically mean some form or worship. It can be as simple as a philosophy of how an individual sophont wants to mold themselves, a program of self-help.

Take the paragons of the MegaTraveller Vargr from Vilani and Vargr - The Coreward Races. They have four archetypes:

The Prince
The Taker
The Paranoid
The Empire Builder

Is modeling a Vargr after a paragon religion or simply a path to perfecting that archetype in oneself? The Referee is the arbiter for religions and philosophies in Traveller.

croissant-coffee-rustic-white-wood-above-55714104.jpg

And do not forget mayonnaise to celebrate the British loosing a naval battle of of Port Mahon on the island of Minorca, which lost for the British the island. That was the loss that got Admiral Byng shot.

The Royal Navy realized rather early that in any war of attrition, they'd win, so they prefer aggressive commanders who at the very least damage their opponents, if not inhibit their area of operations.

Cradock was aware of what happened to Troubridge.

The 12th Article of War read as follows: "Every person in the fleet who, through cowardice, negligence or disaffection, shall in time of action withdraw, or keep back, or not come to the fight or engagement, or shall not do his utmost to take or destroy every ship ... [or to] assist all and every of His Majesty's ships, or those of allies, which it shall be his duty to assist and relieve; every such person so offending and being convicted thereof by the sentence of a court martial shall suffer death or such other punishment as the circumstances of the offence shall deserve and the court martial shall judge fit." The final clause was struck from the Article in 1745, eleven years before Byng's trial.[28]

He was obviously a scapegoat, but the Royal Navy expects it's commanders to be aggressive, lucky and kiss the right butts, which doesn't always occur.

Nelson wasn't just aggressive and lucky, he picked and prepared his subordinates, and his success immunized him against perceived transgressions. Cochrane failed to kiss the right butts.

Byng's execution has been called "the worst legalistic crime in the nation's annals".[24] But naval historian N. A. M. Rodger believes it may have influenced the behaviour of later naval officers by helping inculcate:

"a culture of aggressive determination which set British officers apart from their foreign contemporaries, and which in time gave them a steadily mounting psychological ascendancy. More and more in the course of the century, and for long afterwards, British officers encountered opponents who expected to be attacked, and more than half expected to be beaten, so that [the latter] went into action with an invisible disadvantage which no amount of personal courage or numerical strength could entirely make up for."[40]

There's a brief mention of the Church of the Maker in Minor Alien Module 1: Luriani, but all it really says about it is that the followers are called Makerites and that they're noted for a strict, conservative moral code. Are there any other sources that discuss this religion?

My apologies for getting the thread so off topic.

It was easier back in the day when we called it RTT -- Riki Tiki Traveller.

A practice Hunter and I both saw was being used in a strongly derogatory manner.

Which is why it was elevated to an infraction-level for quite some time.

Back