• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Classic Traveller getting stale?

Murph

SOC-14 1K
The GDW folks killed the Imperium since they felt essentially it was getting "stale", but I will have a contrary position that there were so many missing stories that could have spiced up Classic Traveller. The Imperium was a BIG place, perhaps the core was old, boring, and stable. But what about other sectors such as Antares? Or those close to the Julian Protectorate? Or Reavers Deep (my campaign base) as an exciting place. So many story lines could have been followed up, such as Victoria and the Ancients. The cold war between the Zhodani and Imperium in the shadows. Far Frontiers sector, Tobia sector and the Aslan.

So how do we spice up our Classic Traveller game(s)? I suggest perhaps a Maltese Falcon Macguffin where something leads the players across several subsectors pursued by shadowy forces that also want the Falcon? A spy mystery? Ruthless mercantile houses intent on ruining their competitors? A disgraced Imperial Prince who has been exiled as a remittance man, desperate to clear their name? There is a lot of life left in the old Classic Traveller world, no need to blow up the universe. What are some suggestions?

What are some suggestions?
Easiest one is to "rewind the clock a little" to play in the time prior to the 1105 classic golden age.

Set things in 1085 (20 years prior) and you've just finished the False War/Fourth Frontier War in the Spinward Marches. There's plenty of scope for adventure in such a setting (lots of cleanup to do and market shares to grab!) starting with the effort to get commerce moving again across the sector.

The nice thing about such a "short rewind of time" is that you can use basically all of the 1105 material 99% unaltered without having the events of the 1110s and beyond breathing down your necks the whole time (or that whole Fifth Frontier War thing if you're out in the Marches).

Good idea. However I tend to just ignore the Rebellion stupidity, and move along with a war in the shadows and lots of interesting times. But I also tend to base either in Reavers Deep, Far Frontiers or in the Trojan Reaches. Lots of good stuff to do if we just ignore the silly Rebellion stuff.

And that's one of the lost opportunities of the OTU setting. They wrote up millenia of history for it (and sketched out far more than that), but for the most part merely used its last century or so, starting in 1103-ish...

Classic Traveller is alive and well. the Third Imperium setting is not the be all and end all of Classic Traveller.

Even if you decide yo use the Third Imperium as a backdrop the adventures of the Travellers can be ongoing despite the geopolitical machinations of the bug players of the setting.

A tramp trader that spends most of its time beyond the Imperial frontier only returning for its annual maintenance...

A group of Travellers using their tickets to travel planet by planet...

A team of "troubleshooters" employed by...

Wrong place at the wrong time...

These days I borrow from old black and white crime films or cowboy films, along with using various random means of situation generators (there are a few games on the market that have lots of random tables for stuff, and I also use the encounter cards and the like for games such as Infinity)

Also the background technology of the Third Imperium has changed a lot over the years. Thanks to Agent of the Imperium, T5 and Mongoose Traveller there are a whole host of little changes that have a big impact on the player scale of things.

Wafer technology, "intelligent" machines at TL12+, TL15 personal force screens...

I have played my "Solis People of the Sun" setting with Classic Traveller, it is my preferred rules set, even though I use Cepheus Engine now. 3I is fine, played a lot of games in the Spinward Marches, it is just last game broke down over arguing over setting details. I would definitely use CT again.

What are some suggestions?
Another possibility, if you want to leave the Third Imperium behind in the aft view sensor, you can choose settings such as the Great Rift (J-5 route area or the Islands Cluster, for example) and set your PCs up with an extended range (2x jump) J3/J4 clipper ship that is capable of traversing the LONG distances between stars out there (at the expense of cargo capacity, using collapsible fuel tanks).

With an Islands Cluster campaign, the Third Imperium is "there" ... but it's across a "moat" of deep space on either side of the Great Rift.
The J-5 route would obviously be an Aslan dominated campaign, but could be a lot of fun since the worlds of the J-5 route are so "disconnected" from the rest of the Aslan Hierate to have their own local sense of identity (the rest of the Aslan are "so far away" you see).

Same could be done with a campaign set in the Lesser Rift, but I'm less familiar with that part of the map.

And if you REALLY have to get away from it all (but keep the descendants of the Solomani around), there's always the Distant Fringe ...

That is why for the most part when my campaign was active, we were in the Far Frontiers or Reavers Deep sectors. My Reavers Deep was a wild and wooly place that had a lot of options for the players. They had ended up with an 800 Broadsword class ship that had been semi-converted to a cargo vessel. Also I dropped jump fuel usage from 10%/Jump Number to 5%/Jump number for all tech levels over 12, and it made a large difference. You could actually survive running a merchant campaign.

Well this is a kinda what is Traveller question. In the CT is still a solid base to play a wide variety of games with/in. The setting is what you do with it, if you use it at all.

CT is still as relevant as it ever was.

Well this is a kinda what is Traveller question. In the CT is still a solid base to play a wide variety of games with/in. The setting is what you do with it, if you use it at all.

CT is still as relevant as it ever was.
ABSOLUTELY I could not agree more. It was just abandoned when it was just getting good....

ABSOLUTELY I could not agree more. It was just abandoned when it was just getting good....
Not For OTUish goodness both MgT and GURPS had Non rebellion backgrounds. Note GURPs Traveller had a large proportion of Authors from the Classic Traveller Era.

While I admittedly run a very space opera game with gods and time travel and epic psionics, with a only a thin veneer of canon, I also set it in an OTU-inspired setting, using very old school worlds and settings (mainly the Paranoia Press sectors, plus the FASA and Judges Guild sectors). I think the OTU setting has plenty of legs, err..., thrusters!

Good idea. However I tend to just ignore the Rebellion stupidity, and move along with a war in the shadows and lots of interesting times. But I also tend to base either in Reavers Deep, Far Frontiers or in the Trojan Reaches. Lots of good stuff to do if we just ignore the silly Rebellion stuff.
I'm one of those who liked the rebellion, especially since the Marches end was the least affected by it.

I didn't find CT stale despite embracing the rebellion timeline; most of my campaigns of Traveller have been classic era.

What I found problematic in CT was the combat mechanics and the two-design-systems for ships... and MT went in the direction I wanted anyway.

The GDW folks killed the Imperium since they felt essentially it was getting "stale", but I will have a contrary position that there were so many missing stories that could have spiced up Classic Traveller. The Imperium was a BIG place, perhaps the core was old, boring, and stable. But what about other sectors such as Antares? Or those close to the Julian Protectorate? Or Reavers Deep (my campaign base) as an exciting place. So many story lines could have been followed up, such as Victoria and the Ancients. The cold war between the Zhodani and Imperium in the shadows. Far Frontiers sector, Tobia sector and the Aslan.
A relatively stable universe works just fine as a setting for stories (whether they are RPG adventures, novels, movies etc.) happening in that universe.

The "getting stale" assessment comes from the point of view that the story should be about the universe.

The beauty of the vast OTU was that grand events (relative to the characters) could happen and still not stir up the universe at large. Consider something like Chamax Plague/Horde, specifically the latter. The fate of a whole world hangs in the balance, millions of lives are in peril. But on the Imperial scale, irrelevant. Characters had ample opportunity to be big fish in one of thousands of small ponds. Shifting the story focus to rapid changes of the universe as a whole made them small fish in a crushingly big pond.

There was a sense hardwired into the CT LBBs & Supplements that everywhere in the Imperium was like Europe [there was a thousand year history everywhere you went and the Megacorporations had been trading those same routes for most of that time]. Nowhere in the Spinward Marches (which was billed as the ‘frontier’) had anything remotely like a ‘wild west’ vibe to it.

Say what you will, Megatraveller changed that with its Core, Border & Wild classifications for space hexes based on their distance from “civilization”.

I think I will politely disagree with you here. The Wild West was beyond the borders of the Imperium, or in the Trojan Reach Sector, lots of things to do there. I think what they should have done is allow MegaTraveller for those who wanted that conflict, but then keep developing the CT universe for those who wanted it. I think it alienated a number of loyal players. I used MT as a sourcebook material for some things, but kept moving the CT universe forward. If they had kept both universes I think they would have had both new and old players who could have enjoyed their own universe. But that is water under the bridge. I really liked how FASA, et al were developing the Far Frontiers and Reavers Deep sectors, they were so much fun to move around in.

There was a sense hardwired into the CT LBBs & Supplements that everywhere in the Imperium was like Europe [there was a thousand year history everywhere you went and the Megacorporations had been trading those same routes for most of that time]. Nowhere in the Spinward Marches (which was billed as the ‘frontier’) had anything remotely like a ‘wild west’ vibe to it.

Say what you will, Megatraveller changed that with its Core, Border & Wild classifications for space hexes based on their distance from “civilization”.
That classification only came at the tail end of MT's run with the publication of Hard Times. As presented, it did not create a frontier setting at the edge of an expanding civilization. Rather, it let the PCs witness a rapid (IMHO implausibly so, as I've discussed ad nauseam, but that's not important) collapse at the edge of a collapsing civilization. But even that was soon overridden by the events leading up to TNE, so effectively it never was a stable setting to have adventures in.

If GDW had simply continued the trend from MT for their TNE setting (which IMNSHO would have been the better choice rather than bulldozing the whole setting by means of deus ex machina type plot devices) it could have evolved into what you envision. A ca. 1200 "New long night" type setting with fragmented Imperial successor states and large swathes of borderlands between them.

That still would have suffered, to some extent, from the same problem that TNE's actual attempts to create such a setting (with the Reformation coalition) had: You were not exploring a vast new frontier, you were exploring the vast carcass of a civilization that had died within living memory.

That, too, could have been counteracted; by moving time forward several centuries rather than just several decades. But since players would still remain acutely aware of what had come before, the best option would have been to write a new setting.

Nowhere in the Spinward Marches (which was billed as the ‘frontier’) had anything remotely like a ‘wild west’ vibe to it.
I'm going to address this separately because it really is a separate subject that I've thought about quite a bit recently. I've arrived at a rather radical (if I do say so myself) conclusion from the perspective of a game referee:

This lack of a 'wild west' feeling is an inherent feature of Traveller's universe generation system as written. This system inevitably results in the game universe being too small.
Also, the same system almost inevitably results in the game universe being too big.

How is it too small?
Long answer: Every inhabited system is precisely located and statted. There may be worlds with a frontier type feeling (in Regina subsector alone there are several candidates) but they are also 'locked in' in this fashion. If you have an idea for a scenario set on a remote desert planet ruled by a religious dictatorship, you are out of luck unless a pre-existing world with those characteristics is in your PCs' path. You can have some wiggle room by placing additional worlds in a system, but this can quickly stretch the limits of plausibility and also does not work for many scenarios.
For example: The Chamax Plague/Horde scenario mentioned above can only be set on two neighbouring (on the interstellar scale) worlds of very specific characteristics.
If you want to use the scenario in a running campaign, you need to somehow maneuver your PCs towards those two worlds. Apart from the fact that this could very well take months of in-game time, it more importantly runs counter to what players typically love about Traveller: That their characters can freely travel through an open universe.
I have encountered the same problem when trying to adapt other classic (in both senses) Traveller adventures to running campaigns. For Nomads of the World Ocean, you can of course change the evil corporation, you can ditch the Vegan connection etc.; but you need a water world, relatively high tech, with at least a moderate population and a government type which would allow for corporate meddling.

Short answer: The universe (the OTU specifically, but the same applies to other universes created in CT) is too small in the sense that there is not enough conceptual space left open for specific scenario backgrounds. It is too fully described.

How is it too big?
Long answer: If you do want a scenario in which specific fixed points, regions or persons are relevant, those can only be reached by years of travel. For example, it is practically impossible to have your typical Jump-2 based PC ship crew to have scenarios involving both the Zhodani and the Solomani in the same campaign; it would take years (about seven by my estimate) to simply get from one frontier to the other.
This is a problem I am more willing to accept; I wouldn't want the other extreme of a JJ Abrams type universe which is theoretically galaxy-spanning, but where practically every point is within half an hour's travel from every other point. But it still could use some trimming without losing the OTU's vast feudal empire approach. I have experienced it irks players when they hear about distant parts of the Imperium and know full well they will never, ever go there.
You can see where the problem is by looking at two published examples of campaigns which actually were designed to take PCs across large swathes of the Imperium (and its surroundings even): DGP's Grand Tour and GDW's Arrival Vengeance.
In both cases, the solution was to impose on the players a strict itinerary their characters would follow, no matter what. No pretense of PC freedom of movement was maintained; the usual activities associated with such freedom (such as trading) where ignored.
This is likely the only feasible solution, but while it maintains the image of the vast OTU in the background, for practical purposes it reduces the game universe to a railroad track with fixed stops.

Short answer: The universe (more specifically the OTU in this case) is too big in the sense that it is impossible to experience most of its distinct parts even in a long-term campaign.

So in conclusion: There is too little undescribed space to flesh out in the immediate surroundings of the PCs. At the same time, the described space in its entirety is far too large too experience more than a tiny fraction of it in even a very long campaign.

Last edited:
Back