• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Classic Traveller getting stale?

The best I can say that I have done is to say that I fixed some problems in the fields of electrical engineering and computer science much faster and better than most others. Have taken the slings and arrows the universe has sent my way and am sitting here in Alaska, being happy.

The best I can say that I have done is to say that I fixed some problems in the fields of electrical engineering and computer science much faster and better than most others. Have taken the slings and arrows the universe has sent my way and am sitting here in Alaska, being happy.
It's not what you've "Done", it is what you tried to do.
And, I've not gotten anything more than Pitch time with SpaceX so no promises they'll try it
And, even if they do, it's Jordin's program, and much of his team is still available. So, for all my pushing, I haven't got any rights so I won't get paid.

But, the idea is the leave the world as much better as I can.
And, now I get to fight insurance companies to force them to pay what they owe home owners.....so, work is fun!

Remember: The rules require that posts containing personal attacks or perceived personal attacks are not to be responded to publicly.

I think I reversed the personal attack infraction issued, but a half-dozen posts in the above are violations of that rule.

I'm not going through and infracting everyone involved because I'm essentially lazy and hopeful that it's settled. It is worth noting that my read of Marcatlas' was the same as Truestar's initial read: a direct implication of falsehood.

YES. That's TRAVELLER. My statement was referring to other games, in response to the claim that "most" game settings move through internal time with published materials.

Until FASA, who were Traveller alumni, tried a variant of the calendar trick with Battletech and Shadowrun, or the player-driven disaster that was West End's TORG, RPG settings that weren't Traveller were presented as essentially static.
A number of other games did likewise in the 80's. It's not unique to, nor original to, Traveller.

Essentially, Traveller didn't have a timeline advancement until 1980 or later. It didn't have a timeline until JTAS 2, really. And Loren gave us a specific printing date: 274-1105. But I'll note that the included events are all set prior to Issue 1's 183-1105 date.
So JTAS 2 starts shareing the timeline in Oct 1979, with events set in Apr 7 & 11. That 101-1105 is probably the most overlooked setting tweak:

JTAS 2 p5 said:
⑆REGINA/REG~NA (0310-A788899-A) .Date: 101-1105
¶ Close on the heels of the joint announcement by General Shipyards and Tukera Lines that L-Hyd drop tanks would soon be manufactured in the Regina subsector, came word by express boat fromsthe Imperial core that a decision has been made to deploy Jump-6 L-Hyd drop tank express boats on all major express routes. Initial feasibility studies indicate that such a system could average jump-5.5 per week by executing maximum jumps where possible, and leaving current xboat units t o disseminate information between the new major relay points. The system is expected to cut communicationtime to the lmperial hub to under 25 weeks. The Initial System Deployment Schedule indicates that the Regina subsector can expect to be fully integrated into the network within a decade. Ω

As to others. About the same time, the boardgame Starfire was rereleased in 1979 with a timeline based scenario sequence; Starfire 2 in 1980 was a direct sequel, duplicating the core combat rules, but only adding new systems in the ship building rules, and adding new tech and the rules for it, and extending the timeline another dozen years. (It continued to slowly do this until 1993.)

The [US] National Mah Jongg League had started publishing new scoring cards annually by the 1970's as well, but would sell you back cards while supplies lasted - no discounts! While not a narrative-generating game, ongoing continuity and constant change were part of gaming before Traveller ever saw print. (Each yeah, what hands score what is altered in US-NMJL play. I don't play NJML; I play a variant of Riichi, which has fixed scoring.)

Sports Illustrated had a 1971 Baseball game, and released updated team cards in 1972 and 1973... https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4642/sports-illustrated-baseball

D&D, however, was also doing timeline bits. 1978 had a 6 adventure sequence: G1, G2, G3, D1, D2, D3. G2 and G3 can stand alone, but are intended to be direct sequels in sequence. D2 directly leads into D3, and D2 works best as a direct follow on to D1. D1 can be entered from other than G3, but is intended to be essentially G4, save for the change in primary antagonists.
The final goal in D3 leads direct to Q1, 1980. Note that later reprints assemble them... first into the set G1-3, D1-2, D3, Q1, then later still into GDQ. A few other module series from later had internal timelines, too - most notable being the Dragonlance modules... but thats a bit down the road.

The thing is, D&D timelines in period are short runs... Traveller was the first RPG I know of to have an ongoing singular official timeline, but the idea of timelines was a thing beforehand.

I'll note that the scenarios in Star Fleet Battles were never direct timeline advancement until 3rd edition (Commander's) with module X, but instead filling out the grand timeline otherwise. Module X shjifted the end point from Y190 to Y230. The SFB master timeline was there from Designer's edition on (that's 2nd ed, in late 1980).

Marc's been plenty clear that the overarching timeline and setting wasn't conceived of with the game itself; it was an outgrowth of fan demand. One that, once they started, they really doubled down on it. Without being obvious.

Gary Gygax was also advancing the timeline of the World of Greyhawk in a few issues of his 'From the Sorcerer's Scroll' column in Dragon from about 1981 onwards - at least until the management problems at TSR got in his way. Given his (then) often expressed approval of GDW and Traveller, I always wondered if he saw what JTAS was doing and thought it would be a good thing to do with Greyhawk.

Gary Gygax was also advancing the timeline of the World of Greyhawk in a few issues of his 'From the Sorcerer's Scroll' column in Dragon from about 1981 onwards - at least until the management problems at TSR got in his way. Given his (then) often expressed approval of GDW and Traveller, I always wondered if he saw what JTAS was doing and thought it would be a good thing to do with Greyhawk.
Quite likely, but there's not much evidence for GDW doing it before the sequential adventures of TSR.
GDW's innovation of 1979 is not the timeline, it's following in Greg Stafford, Steve Perrin and Ray Tourney's footsteps... 1978's RuneQuest introduces a singular world for the game, and all support focusing there, while never denigrating doing one's own variant. (RQ setting was Greg, Rules were Perrin and Tourney. Publisher: The Chaosium.) I have no idea if GDW was Aware of RQ at the time... and haven't asked... but RQ and post 1979 Traveller both became known for the setting over the rules,

Quite likely, but there's not much evidence for GDW doing it before the sequential adventures of TSR.

I honestly always saw the advancement of the canon timeline for the Imperium in JTAS as less akin to the serialization of modules ala TSR and more like adding a layer of "historicity" or verisimilitude to the game as they leaned into a having canon setting - in much the same way wargamers would serialize their own wargame campaigns or thought experiment through actual history (again not unheard of in wargaming circles of the time). I think people forget sometimes (or don't know if they aren't grognards) how much GDW did with wargames - this was the heyday of Europa after all. On very real level, at the time, GDW felt much more like a wargame company that happened to do an RPG than an RPG company that put out wargames (I mean, seriously, it was *a lot* of wargames).

I honestly always saw the advancement of the canon timeline for the Imperium in JTAS as less akin to the serialization of modules ala TSR and more like adding a layer of "historicity" or verisimilitude to the game as they leaned into a having canon setting - in much the same way wargamers would serialize their own wargame campaigns or thought experiment through actual history (again not unheard of in wargaming circles of the time). I think people forget sometimes (or don't know if they aren't grognards) how much GDW did with wargames - this was the heyday of Europa after all. On very real level, at the time, GDW felt much more like a wargame company that happened to do an RPG than an RPG company that put out wargames (I mean, seriously, it was *a lot* of wargames).
They literally did the game to flesh out their 2000-2300 history.

If you think CT is getting stale go back to where it all began and look at all the plot threads dangling away, and that's before JTAS TAS news...
The Spinward Marches – the proto-Third Imperium introduction

The lmperium is a strong interstellar government possessed of great industrial and technological might, but unable, due to the sheer distances and travel times involved, to exert total control at all levels everywhere within its star-spanning realm. It encompasses 281 subsectors and approximately 11,000 worlds. Approximately 1100 years old, it is the third human empire to control this area, the oldest, and the strongest. Nevertheless, it is under strong pressure from its neighbouring interstellar governments, and does not have the strength nor the power which it once had.

On the frontiers the lmperium allows a large degree of autonomy to its subject worlds calling only for some respect for its overall policies, and for a united front against outside pressures. Extensive home rule provisions allow planetary populations to choose their own forms of government, raise and maintain armed forces for local security, pass and enforce laws governing local conduct, and regulate (within limits) commerce. To monitor the space lanes, the lmperium maintains a Navy. Because these forces can never be everywhere at once, local provinces (subsectors) also maintain navies, as do individual worlds.

Defence of the frontier is mostly provided by local indigenous forces, stiffened by scattered lmperial naval bases manned by small but extremely sophisticated forces.

Conflicting local interests often settle their differences by force of arms, with lmperial forces looking quietly the other way, unable to effectively intervene as a police force in any but the most wide-spread of conflicts without jeopardizing their primary mission of the defence of the realm. Only when local conflicts threaten either the security or the economy of the area do lmperial forces take an active hand, and then it is with speed and overwhelming force.

At the spinward edge, 120 parsecs from the original centre of the Imperium, the Marches represent one of the furthest extents of exploration and domination by Imperial forces. Lying adjacent to territory of the Zhodani Consulate and the Vargr Extents, this region is a site which has seen much conflict and intrigue.

Exile Camp. A location committed to the containment of individuals guilty (or presumed guilty) of political crimes of discontent. Governmental controls are usually restricted to the retention of inmates, and a general oppression of the population.

lmperial Prison. A penitentiary or rehabilitation centre for those guilty of lmperial crimes.

lmperial Reservation. A location, usually very large, under lmperial jurisdiction and restricted to use only by members of the lmperial family, or those authorized by a member of the lmperial family.

lmperial Way Station. A base established for the repair, maintenance, and overhaul of lmperial equipment. It may include provisions for Army troop barracks, naval and scout ship overhauls, and intelligence operations

The lmperium has long maintained (since 556) a research station in the Retinae system for the purposes of communications research. Accessed from Frenzie/Vilis via Thanber, the station has frequently figured in Zhodani diplomatic protests. Its long-standing presence at Retinae and the steadfastness of the Emperor has served to maintain its continued operation.

Asmodeus is recovering from a nuclear war which ended in 1005

World 728-907, recently surveyed, is a large inhabitable world with no evidence of higher animal life although extensive forestation and insect presence have been noted. The Ministry of Colonisation has designated the world for seeding within the next century, with a view to colonisation upon availability of personnel and funds.

Collace is the site of one of several lmperial scout bases in the district. Application has been made for membership in the Imperium, which is pending.

Tureded, a small agricultural world, has recently become of increasing importance as a trade and shipping centre because it lies at a junction for jump-I travel from rimward to the Regina, Jewell, and Rhylanor subsectors. It is expected that Tureded will be upgraded to a class B starport within the next decade. The Scout Service is currently negotiating the establishment of a Scout base, with the apparent intention of an xboat link from Rhylanor to Dinomn and Regina

The Ling Standard Products shipyards at Lunion and Strouden are the major shipbuilding points within the entire Spinward Marches. The excellent workmanship, combined with level D technology, makes LSP products highly sought after.

The asteroid belt at Zaibon was once the largest deposit of copper on record, but the lode has dwindled to virtually nothing, and the facilities are deteriorating.

Wardn is a small world notable primarily for its intricate patterns carved in its desert plains. One hypothesis holds the runes are marks left by anaerobic life, while another claims that they are artifact results of an ancient culture.

The government on Quiru is a military junta which is the result of a mercenary operation. Imperial force has not yet been brought to bear.

Egypt has been selected for a Ministry of Colonization training base.

Mithras is the site of an Imperial exile prison; convicted individuals are deported to the world where they begin life anew. Although environmental conditions are harsh, the opportunities on Mithras have made it a showcase of rehabilitation.

The Imperial Research Station a t Duale has reportedly suffered extreme damage from an explosion of undetermined origin in 1102. A high degree of military security has been present in the system since that date. The nature of the research being undertaken is not known.

Nexine is an underpopulated water world currently being used by the Ministry of Conservation for reseeding efforts using biologically altered humans.

The desert world of Thisbe has undertaken a long-term project to divert large numbers of frozen water and gas asteroids from the Thisben belt to the planetary surface; the intention is an improved atmosphere and hydrographic percentage.

Regina Subsector

The hub of new development in the Spinward Marches is the Regina subsector. Located at the very edge of the Imperium, it serves as a contact point with the Vargr to coreward and the Zhodani to spinward; the result is considerable trade activity through the starports of the region. Much of the upper strata of Zhodani society are extensively trained in, and commonly practice the Psionic Heresy

The lmperium has been suppressing political dissent in order to keep peace in the Regina subsector.

A reward has been offered by the subsector government for the location of a senator who has been missing since 1102.

A recent uprising at Feri (0405) has cut the Imperial communication jump route from Regina (0310) to Efate (0105).

The government of Roup (0407) has made a subsector-wide call for surplus starships to supplement its local forces. There has been no opposition from the subsector government.

The Forboldn Project is the primary colonization project within the Regina subsector. Originally conceived in 987 to utilize the resources of Forboldn (0208), the project began its execution phase in 1089, shortly after the Fourth Frontier War. Large numbers of colonists were recruited and shipped in cold sleep from the Imperial core, with arrival times set from 1110 to 1120. Simultaneously, preparations on Forboldn began, with detailed planetary surveys to pinpoint resources and initial building projects to prepare industry and quarters for the arrival of colonists.

Interdicted worlds are interdicted because the lmperium is trying to conceal its mistakes in social and political planning.

If you think CT is getting stale go back to where it all began and look at all the plot threads dangling away, and that's before JTAS TAS news...

Yeah, that really informed IMTU, that and the old JG and PP sectors. While I draw heavily from everything that came after (and use CE for my engine these days), I still have a very soft part in my heart for Traveller 4-4-4...

Not stale, overbuilt is how I would describe it.

Imagine starting a Traveller campaign today. There is a vast, and I mean a VAST, amount of world building that is already done out there. Where and how do you start? Which game system to use? What setting? What time period?

The rebooting of The Rebellion and The Virus does not make it easier. For folks who have delved deep into OTU, knowing how all of this fits together is easy. For the person who is just starting out, it is overwhelming.

After I had selected Corridor and the year 1085 as the start point for my campaign, I discovered that Spinward Flow suggested a setting with time of 1085 near the Marches. I like the way he thinks. ;-) As he noted, this allowed usage of lots of existing materials yet is far enough back to avoid having all those icky other events intrude on the campaign. My choice of Strand/Corridor was based on access to extra-Imperial border but the existing Canon limited my options there as well.

But then I thought "Charted Space" means there is "Uncharted Space".

Yes.....

We now believe the Milky Way Galaxy is about 1000 light years "thick" in the spiral arms. This is about 300 parsecs or hexes. We all know that the game produced a flat map because it was easier at the time but today. Today, I put Reference at 151 on the Z axis and go from there.

I decided to treat the "Charted Space" map as a subway map. Useful to show connections but not accurate in actual dimensions. Take that flat map and cut it up so that only J1 and X-boat jump routes are still connected. Any loose bits that need a J2 to be connected get that. All the rest is "Uncharted Space". Take all those loose pieces and bend them up or down into a vertical space. Not an original idea but it was for me. lol

Now those J1 mains, J2 choke points and J4 x-boat routes are essential and every hex has three additional above and below.

All those empty hexes? Fill 'em. On spaces within 5 of existing Charted Space, keep TL less than 11. Beyond that let the dice do their thing.

You now have a huge play space that is unique but can still use the 3I canon, if desired. The players can actually earn credits for exploring beyond Charted Space. Mega corporations have reasons to fund trade missions into the unknown. Neo-barbarians, pocket empires and strange sophants are possible with in a half dozen jumps from anywhere. Surely the Imperial Navy and the ISS have done more exploring into this but the results are not published. A megacorp may delay reporting a profitable find or even enter into a trade arrangement with that pocket empire before reporting the discovery.

I felt the existing OTU was over built and constrained so I built a playing space that is orthogonal to the published materials. Much better than The Virus, IMNHO.

Of course, I also have opinions about small ship vs big ship but that is for another thread.

Imagine starting a Traveller campaign today. There is a vast, and I mean a VAST, amount of world building that is already done out there. Where and how do you start? Which game system to use? What setting? What time period?

I had a similar but kind of opposite situation, I've been playing so long huge swaths of my game were spent in now de-canonized areas (the Paranoia Press sectors and the Judges Guild Sectors) plus bits and pieces of the FASA sectors. It's a choice to break away from canon and more an acknowledgement that canon broke away from me...

Plus I developed many things that were vague "back in the day" but have slowly been developed with a fair amount of detail over the years.

D.

Not stale, overbuilt is how I would describe it.
Even as someone who has played for years, I feel overwhelmed by the vast amount of information. So much data out there and I have so little brain storage space. Add to the mix the fact there are editions of Traveller I have not bought nor read, whole swaths of information I do not have the time nor money to try and gather.

I love this forum for many reasons, but sometimes I just walk away from a conversation, not because it is bad, but because the super fans have made me realize I can never really discuss official Traveller on their level. I have never read or owned a GURPs product. I missed Traveller 4 as I was taking a rest from RPGs when it arrived. The d20 version was not on my buy list as I did not want to switch Traveller to d20. I will stop here as I am sure you understand my point.

I have accepted a long time ago, Traveller for me, will always be an inspiration to explore. But it will never really be stale, rather it will never be complete. :unsure:

After I had selected Corridor and the year 1085 as the start point for my campaign, I discovered that Spinward Flow suggested a setting with time of 1085 near the Marches. I like the way he thinks. ;-) As he noted, this allowed usage of lots of existing materials yet is far enough back to avoid having all those icky other events intrude on the campaign.
I have my moments. :rolleyes:

;)

I've always liked Solomani Space. More of a Cold War fee at the Rim. And if you get away from all the nazis/communist in space it can have the same feel as the Marches. Also, a lot of room for exploration and a chance to add other Aliens some friendly and others not so friendly. In OT outside of the Rim was the great unknown and that made it easy to make up your own systems and add whatever in the way of aliens and alien civilizations you wanted.

When I first returned to CT 10+ years ago (after diversions with MgT1e) I deliberately chose the Beyond and Far Frontiers sectors for my games, due to the Third Imperium setting's vastness. It was far easier to wave the TI away in these sectors, and just treat "The Third Imperium" as "The Imperium". Now I just use my own setting, and consider CT fresh as in 1978 when we first started playing.

IMHO, it is my position that all rule sets are as fresh as when they were published. It is the players and GMs that have become stale. In "all" I am including rules like "Fletcher Pratt's Naval Wargame", H.G. Wells "Little Wars", D&D 1st edition, Classic Traveller, etc.
Nice. I have not seen a reference to Fletcher Pratt in a long time.

Rule sets that are well designed should be as playable now as when published. The experienced gamer will always find edge cases to complain about but by the time rules get published, they are generally playable. Tactics II was a nice example of how wargames worked for me.

Nice. I have not seen a reference to Fletcher Pratt in a long time.

Rule sets that are well designed should be as playable now as when published. The experienced gamer will always find edge cases to complain about but by the time rules get published, they are generally playable. Tactics II was a nice example of how wargames worked for me.
Pentatomic divisions for the win. Not so 5 unit after nukes though, which was the point.

Back