• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Creating a TL 5 Battleship using the CE VDS

I don't think "double occupancy staterooms" would describe 20th century naval accommodations. An enlisted bunk might be half the size of a low berth, including an allowance for the narrow walkway between the racks (3 high on each side in some cases). An officer's room would certainly be no more than 1 dton, and that would include about ¼ dton for it's share of the corridor.

Try 4 high for enlisted bunks, along with some “hot bunking”. Junior officers quarters would have 2 to 4 in occupancy, while CPO quarters would between 2 and 6. A lot of men would sleep on deck if the weather was good. Those ships were very crowded.

I don't think "double occupancy staterooms" would describe 20th century naval accommodations. An enlisted bunk might be half the size of a low berth, including an allowance for the narrow walkway between the racks (3 high on each side in some cases). An officer's room would certainly be no more than 1 dton, and that would include about ¼ dton for it's share of the corridor.

Try 4 high for enlisted bunks, along with some “hot bunking”. Junior officers quarters would have 2 to 4 in occupancy, while CPO quarters would between 2 and 6. A lot of men would sleep on deck if the weather was good. Those ships were very crowded.

While I need to look at some of the details in the rules for Staterooms, that 2 dTons per person (24 spaces) in the current design (and traditional Traveller designs) have included ALL of the space required for the people aboard the ship.

The two of you are focused on the sleeping quarters, but have ignored the laundry, the galley, the sick bay, the common room, refreshers, showers, and other spaces that may be included in the volume called “Staterooms” at this level of abstraction.

While I need to look at some of the details in the rules for Staterooms, that 2 dTons per person (24 spaces) in the current design (and traditional Traveller designs) have included ALL of the space required for the people aboard the ship.

The two of you are focused on the sleeping quarters, but have ignored the laundry, the galley, the sick bay, the common room, refreshers, showers, and other spaces that may be included in the volume called “Staterooms” at this level of abstraction.

In WW One, the Royal Navy’s accommodations for enlisted on cruisers and battleships ran from 12.5 square feet per man to 32.7 square feet per man. That included everything but the sickbay. The space for officers ran from 138 to 350 square feet per officer. U.S. accommodations were viewed by the Royal Navy as being generous in providing extra space outside of the berthing area. If you want to more understanding of housing spaces for WW2-era U.S. ships, research the USCG Bramble online and get the general drawings.

Do not even think about try to use those housing standards for a WW2 U.S. Navy submarine. I have slept on a couple of those. And the U.S. subs were viewed as excessively luxurious by the Royal Navy.

Last edited:
Actually, I have finally figured out how to get the laptop online, so if a Moderator gives permission, I will upload the general arrangement deck plans of the U.S. Coast Guard Buoy Tender Bramble, built in 1944, to the Image Gallery or File Library for anyone to use to get an idea about ship habitability. They are from the National Park Service, and are public domain. In TIFF format, they are 655 kilobytes a piece.

5 ton Barbette:
The secondary guns are housed in a "Barbette" that is about 5 dTons (60 spaces) and contain 2 guns per Barbette. (approximately 4m cube). The "60 space Large Turret" requires 1 weapon points for the turret (1 per 60 spaces). The second weapon will require an additional weapon point. Two 5" guns in a 60 space turret will require 2 Weapon Points per 2 Gun 5 ton Barbette.

Now to calculate spaces inside the 60 space "Turret": 3 spaces for gunner plus 48 spaces for two Artillery Gun-TL 4 at 8D6 and 24 spaces per gun plus 9 unused spaces:
  • 3 spaces gunner
  • 24 spaces for Artillery Gun-TL 4
  • 9 spaces unused (allows for 3 additional crewmen at 3 spaces each)

Mounting ten 5 ton Barbette will use 20 weapon points and 600 spaces, while providing 20 Artillery Gun-TL 4.

• Ten 5 ton Barbettes [Secondary Armament]
  • Large Turrets (x10) = - 30 spaces
  • Artillery Gun-TL 4 (x20) = - 480 spaces [20 weapon points taken]
  • Bonus gunners & loaders (x 30) = - 90 spaces

(to be continued)

Last edited:
5 ton Barbette:
The secondary guns are housed in a "Barbette" that is about 5 dTons (60 spaces) and contain 2 guns per Barbette. (approximately 4m cube). The "60 space Large Turret" requires 1 weapon points for the turret (1 per 60 spaces). The second weapon will require an additional weapon point. Two 5" guns in a 60 space turret will require 2 Weapon Points per 2 Gun 5 ton Barbette.

Now to calculate spaces inside the 60 space "Turret": 3 spaces for gunner plus 48 spaces for two Artillery Gun-TL 4 at 8D6 and 24 spaces per gun plus 9 unused spaces:
  • 3 spaces gunner
  • 9 spaces unused (allows for 3 additional crewmen at 3 spaces each)

Mounting ten 5 ton Barbette will use 20 weapon points and 50 spaces, while providing 20 Artillery Gun-TL 4.

(to be continued)
[/QUOTE]

Aside from not allowing anywhere near enough men for the 5 inch gun crews, how much are you allowing for the men passing ammunition from the magazines to the ammunition supply hoist to the gun mount? The ammunition does not magically get from the magazines to the mount, and the magazines are not directly under the gun mount. The engine spaces are under the mounts.

Edit Note: The following site discusses the gun crew and their duties for the 5" twin mount.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5-38_mk12_Crews.php

Another site gives 13 men for the direct mount crew, and another 13 feeding ammunition into the mount ready use ring, for a total of 26. That does not include the magazine supply crew.

Edit Note 2: The following site gives the operating instructions for a 5"/38 gun mount, both single and double. It can be downloaded.

https://maritime.org/doc/destroyer/fiveinch/index.htm#pg60

Edit Note 3: The web site for the Fletcher-class destroyer USS Five Sullivans gives the crew for a single 5"/38 mount of 15. There are also photos of the 5" single mounts.

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/USSTheSullivans/FiveInchGunMounts/index.htm

Last edited:
Aside from not allowing anywhere near enough men for the 5 inch gun crews, how much are you allowing for the men passing ammunition from the magazines to the ammunition supply hoist to the gun mount? The ammunition does not magically get from the magazines to the mount, and the magazines are not directly under the gun mount. The engine spaces are under the mounts.
Both NONE and THE FULL HISTORIC NUMBER are correct answers to this. :eek:o:

I already allowed for a full crew on the ship, so I have all the bodies that the ship needs.

On the other hand, AMMUNITION is assigned space in the next step, separate from the weapons. So the loaders have not been assigned yet (nor has the space for the ammo magazines).

I am actually not even finished assigning WEAPONS.

Mr. Pollard, I am not sure it is worthwhile to continue this discussion. Aside from using habitability standards that are intended for starships, rather than the standards of the times, the other problem was that the final WW2 crew of just about all U.S.Navy ships was considerably larger than they were designed for. That was true for both officers and enlisted. The primary reason for that was the massive increase in electronics and anti-aircraft batteries.

Again not knowing about CE, MT:HT introduced the bunks as accomodations, mostly were for steerage and using 1/2 ton each.

Of course, for space travel they would be quite uncomfortable ,but in a sea ship, where you can go the deck and even breath fresh air and feel the open skies over you, I guess they could be used, and probably would be the equivalent to those crew accomodations for WWII era ships.

Mr. Pollard, I am not sure it is worthwhile to continue this discussion. Aside from using habitability standards that are intended for starships, rather than the standards of the times, the other problem was that the final WW2 crew of just about all U.S.Navy ships was considerably larger than they were designed for. That was true for both officers and enlisted. The primary reason for that was the massive increase in electronics and anti-aircraft batteries.

I appreciate your feelings.
Just by way of explanation, I am attempting a first pass through the design using the rules as they are written to see where time and effort might best be invested in expanding options.

Just as a quick point of reference (between Traveller dTons and Square Feet per person accommodations), I use 50 sf as equal to 1 dTon of living area. So starting with the 4 dTon Standard Stateroom and your range of 350 sf to 12.5 sf per person, some practical break points for the CE rules would be ...

• 7 dTons = 1 ‘Officer’ Stateroom = 84 spaces (VDS) = 350 sf
  • 6 dTons = 1 ‘Officer’ Stateroom = 72 spaces (VDS) = 300 sf
  • 5 dTons = 1 ‘Officer’ Stateroom = 60 spaces (VDS) = 250 sf
  • 4 dTons = 1 Standard Stateroom = 48 spaces (VDS) = 200 sf
  • 3 dTons = 1 ‘Officer’ Stateroom = 36 spaces (VDS) = 150 sf
  • 2 dTons = 1 Compact Stateroom = 24 spaces (VDS) = 100 sf

For enlisted men, we can increase the occupancy per 100 sf with military style bunks ...
  • (1-bunk) Barracks (2 dTon = 100 sf)= 24 spaces per person (VDS) = 100 sf per person
  • 2-bunk Barracks (2 dTon = 100 sf)= 12 spaces per person (VDS) = 50 sf per person
  • 4-bunk Barracks (2 dTon = 100 sf)= 6 spaces per person (VDS) = 25 sf per person
  • 8-bunk Barracks (2 dTon = 100 sf)= 3 spaces per person (VDS) = 12.5 sf per person

Even within the traditional framework of the rules, it is trivially simple to add items to allow new options for historic conditions.

... but it makes more sense to me to finish a design with the rules as written before adding lots of new options that may or may not be important.

Again not knowing about CE, MT:HT introduced the bunks as accomodations, mostly were for steerage and using 1/2 ton each.

Of course, for space travel they would be quite uncomfortable ,but in a sea ship, where you can go the deck and even breath fresh air and feel the open skies over you, I guess they could be used, and probably would be the equivalent to those crew accomodations for WWII era ships.

I agree.
We can even add “half-bunks” and “quarter-bunks” to represent those really tight accommodations that were once historically the normal accommodations. However, since I have never designed a WW2 ship “by the CE rules”, it seems to make more sense to begin with the rules as they are before I start assuming they need changing. That is why I started this to attempt to design a WW2 ship by the rules and see how it looks.

I never imagined that the BIG GUNS would be easier than the LITTLE GUNS on a Battleship. The next weapon to be added is the eighty (80) 40 mm/56 cal Bofors guns. The weapon is an anti-aircraft Autocannon from the 1930's and is an improved version of the Pom-Pom (a 40mm Autocannon from 1915. This is clearly a TL 5 Autocanon type weapon.

Therein lies the difficulty within the SRD Rules as Written. The earliest Autocannon is TL 6 in the CE VDS. So the choices available at TL 5 are a Machine Gun-TL 5 (RoF 20 x 4D6) ... which can be made in a Heavy option for Heavy Machine Gun-TL 5 (RoF 10 x 5D6) but is limited to "rifle" range which seems too short.

There is the Artillery Gun-TL 4 (RoF 1 x 8D6) that we used for the 5" Gun.

There is a Rocket Artillery-TL 5 (RoF 3 x 3D6) that describes a weapon nothing like the Autocannon, but seems closest in game stats to matching the function of the Bofurs with a range of "distant".

Just for comparison, the Autocannon-TL 6 is RoF 4 x 6D6 and range "distant".

So I will go ahead and use the Rocket Artillery-TL 5 for the Bofurs for now, and look at adding an Autocannon-TL 5 in the future.

Quad-40mm "Large Turret" Mount:
  • 3 spaces gunner
  • 15 spaces Rocket Artillery-TL 5

So 63 spaces total, which requires 5 weapon points (2 for the turret + 3 for extra coaxial weapons). The TL 5 Battleship (Iowa) mounts twenty (20) of these quad-40mm mounts using 1260 spaces and 100 weapon points to provide 80 Rocket Artillery-TL 5 for Anti-Aircraft defense.

Armaments
  • 20 Quad-40mm "Large Turret" Mounts [Anti-Air Armament]
  • Large Turrets (x20) = - 60 spaces
  • Rocket Artillery-TL 5 (x80) = - 1,200 spaces [100 weapon points taken]

The last bit of armament on the TL 5 Battleship (Iowa) is forty-nine (49) Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns (20 mm/70) mounted individually on a heavy pintle mount (in game terms). With a RoF of 250-450 rounds per minute, it is in all respects a Heavy Machine Gun ... which the CE VDS rules have as a TL 5 weapon: Heavy Machine Gun-TL 5 (RoF 10 x 5D6) limited to "rifle" range

Unfortunately, the Rules as Written (RAW) offer a TL 4 Pintle mount that is limited to 1.5 spaces worth of weapon (the Machine Gun-TL 5 is 3 spaces) and a TL 7 Pintle, powered mount that is limited to 3 spaces. This is clearly a TL 5 Pintle, powered mounting a Machine Gun. Were I not trying for RAW, I would simply add a lower TL Powered Pintle for the 20mm Heavy Machine Gun. Using the RAW, I have no choice but to treat it as a large turret with one weapon.

Single-20mm "Large Turret" Mount:
  • 3 spaces gunner
  • 3 spaces Heavy Machine Gun-TL 5

So 6 spaces total, which requires 1 weapon points (1 for the turret + 0 for extra coaxial weapons). The TL 5 Battleship (Iowa) mounts twenty (49) of these single-20mm mounts using 294 spaces and 49 weapon points to provide 49 Heavy Machine Gun-TL 5 for Anti-Aircraft defense.

Armaments
  • 49 Singled-20mm "Large Turret" Mounts [Anti-Air Armament]
  • Large Turrets (x49) = - 147 spaces
  • Heavy Machine Gun-TL 5 (x49) = - 147 spaces [49 weapon points taken]

... that completes the Armament for the TL 5 Battleship.

Last edited:
Time to calculate AMMO for the weapons. To make sure I understand the rules, let's start with the Autocannon-TL 8 on the TL 9 Destroyer example.

Four (4) Autocannon-TL 8 with a RoF 6 use -72 spaces to store 1800 rounds of ammo, which is enough for 30 minutes. Dividing everything by 4 to get the ammo for just 1 Autocannon ...
One (1) Autocannon-TL 8 with a RoF 6 use -18 spaces to store 450 rounds of ammo, which is enough for 30 minutes ... This value does not seem correct. I suspect that there is an error in the design of the ammo for the TL 9 Destroyer.

ONE Autocannon-TL 8 can fire a 1 round single shot every 6 seconds, which yields 10 rounds per minute and 300 rounds in 30 minutes. FOUR Autocannon-TL 8 at RoF 1 would use 1200 rounds in 30 minutes (not 1800).
ONE Autocannon-TL 8 can fire 6 round bursts every 6 seconds, which yields 60 rounds per minute and 1800 rounds in 30 minutes for ONE Autocannon. FOUR Autocannon-TL 8 at RoF 6 would use 7200 rounds in 30 minutes (not 1800).
I think the TL 9 Destroyer calculated 6 round burst fire for only 1 Autocanon rather than all 4 Autocannons.

So let's calculate one minute (10 x 6 second combat rounds) worth of ammo for our Armaments:
  • Artillery Gun-TL 4 (x720) = - 288 spaces [Main Armament: 7200 rounds/min]
  • Artillery Gun-TL 4 (x20) = - 8 spaces [Secondary Armament: 200 rounds/min]
  • Rocket Artillery-TL 5 (x80) = - 800 spaces [40mm AA Armament: 2400 rounds/min]
  • Heavy Machine Gun-TL 5 (x49) = - 0.49 spaces [20mm AA Armament: 4900 rounds/min]

Thirty minutes (300 x 6 second combat rounds) worth of ammo for our Armaments:
  • Artillery Gun-TL 4 (x720) = - 8640 spaces [Main Armament: 7200 rounds/min]
  • Artillery Gun-TL 4 (x20) = - 240 spaces [Secondary Armament: 200 rounds/min]
  • Rocket Artillery-TL 5 (x80) = - 2400 spaces [40mm AA Armament: 2400 rounds/min]
  • Heavy Machine Gun-TL 5 (x49) = - 15 spaces [20mm AA Armament: 4900 rounds/min]

... that completes the Ammunition for the TL 5 Battleship.

For anyone interested, my Battleship needs to go on a diet ...

TL 5 Battleship (Iowa)

Chassis
  • Base = + 144,000 spaces
  • Configuration = - 0 spaces [closed]
  • Iron Armor = - 14,400 spaces [armor 4]
Power Plant
  • Internal Combustion = - 18,432 spaces [x4 code W Ship Drives]
Propulsion
  • Screw Propeller = - 1,968 spaces [x4 code W Ship Drives]
  • Increased Agility = -0 spaces
Fuel
  • Hydrocarbon = - 12,096 spaces
Controls
  • Basic = - 1 space [Agility 0]
  • Autopilot = - 0 spaces [Ocean Ships-0]
Communications
  • Class III = - 0.02 spaces
Sensors
  • None = - 0 spaces [TL 5]
Computer
  • None = - 0 spaces [TL 5]
Accommodations
  • Control Cabin = - 2448 spaces [1xStandard & 132xExtended]
  • Standard Staterooms (x1485) = - 71,280 spaces [270Single + 1215 Double]
Additional Components
  • None = - 0 spaces
Armaments
  • Three 500 ton Barbettes [Primary Armament]
  • Large Turrets (x3) = - 9 spaces
  • Artillery Gun-TL 4 (x720) = - 17,280 spaces [1020 weapon points taken]
  • Bonus gunners & loaders (x 237) = - 711 spaces
  • 20 Quad-40mm "Large Turret" Mounts [Anti-Air Armament]
  • Large Turrets (x20) = - 60 spaces
  • Rocket Artillery-TL 5 (x80) = - 1,200 spaces [100 weapon points taken]
  • 49 Singled-20mm "Large Turret" Mounts [Anti-Air Armament]
  • Large Turrets (x49) = - 147 spaces
  • Heavy Machine Gun-TL 5 (x49) = - 147 spaces [49 weapon points taken]
Ammunition (Thirty minutes [300 x 6 second combat rounds] worth of ammo for our Armaments)
  • Artillery Gun-TL 4 (x720) = - 8640 spaces [Main Armament: 7200 rounds/min]
  • Artillery Gun-TL 4 (x20) = - 240 spaces [Secondary Armament: 200 rounds/min]
  • Rocket Artillery-TL 5 (x80) = - 2400 spaces [40mm AA Armament: 2400 rounds/min]
  • Heavy Machine Gun-TL 5 (x49) = - 15 spaces [20mm AA Armament: 4900 rounds/min]
Cargo = 0 spaces
TOTAL SPACES = -8,074 = (5.6% over)

It is over 8000 spaces overweight (about 673 dTons) ... which sounds like a lot, but is less than 6%. Not too bad for a first draft with no experience.

Last edited:
The weapon is an anti-aircraft Autocannon from the 1930's and is an improved version of the Pom-Pom (a 40mm Autocannon from 1915.)
Do you think that there is a game system that can tangibly distinguish between these two guns using a design system?

We've always known historically that the design systems feel much better for large, grosser things.

Do you think that there is a game system that can tangibly distinguish between these two guns using a design system?

We've always known historically that the design systems feel much better for large, grosser things.

No, but that was not my point.
Once again I was unclear in making a point.

The 40mm Autocannon (Pom-Pom) goes back to at least 1915 (Pre-WW1) which is clearly early TL 5 rather than late TL 5 like the 1939 Battleship Iowa. For the rules to indicate the Autocanon appears at TL 6 (Korean War), the rules are missing an important historic weapon from TL 5.

Let's start slimming her down with some low hanging fruit that actually places us closer to the Real World ship.

VDS said:
Range and Cruising Speed: The amount of fuel a vehicle carries determines its Range at its maximum speed. The cruising speed of a vehicle is assumed to be 75% of the vehicle’s maximum speed and if the vehicle maintains this rate of movement, its Range will increase by 50% due to fuel efficiency.

The Iowa Class has a range of 27,560 km at 28 kph and a maximum speed of 61 kph.

The TL 5 Battleship has a Maximum speed of 60 kph, giving it a Cruising Speed of 45 kph with a target rage at Cruising Speed of around 27,560 km. Since this will be 50% greater than the range at full speed, according to the rules as written, the range at full speed is only 18,373 km.

18,373 km / 60 kph = 306 hours = 12.75 days (let's use 2 weeks duration at full power).

Full Speed = 60 kph x 336 hours (2 weeks) = 20,160 km range
Cruise Speed = 45 kph x 672 hours (4 weeks) = 30,240 km range

Recalculating Fuel Requirements:

Hydrocarbons require more space than Hydrogen Fuel (x3) and each Power Plant W requires 42 tons of Hydrogen per 2 weeks. So my 4 Power Plant W would need 168 tons of Hydrogen for 2 weeks, or 504 tons (168x3) of Hydrocarbons.

504 tons x 12 = 6,048 spaces of fuel (hydrocarbon)

Fuel
  • Hydrocarbon = - 6,048 spaces [336 hours@60kph]

NEW TOTAL SPACES = -2,026 = (1.4% over)

Last edited:
The next area of "low hanging fruit" where I can save space is the Crew Staterooms.

Accommodations
  • Standard Staterooms (x1485) = - 71,280 spaces [270Single + 1215 Double]

Here I see two obvious solutions.

First, the TL 5 Battleship has the correct crew from a historic perspective, but far more than are required by the Rules as Written (RAW). So I could easily reduce the number of crewmen and reduce the number of staterooms.

The other option is to reduce the space required per crewman to something closer to Historic values. I prefer to keep the large historic crew count for a variety of reasons. Here is a quick reminder of some numbers calculated earlier based on Real World data provided by timerover51 and converted to logical game values:

• 7 dTons = 1 ‘Officer’ Stateroom = 84 spaces (VDS) = 350 sf
  • 6 dTons = 1 ‘Officer’ Stateroom = 72 spaces (VDS) = 300 sf
  • 5 dTons = 1 ‘Officer’ Stateroom = 60 spaces (VDS) = 250 sf
  • 4 dTons = 1 Standard Stateroom = 48 spaces (VDS) = 200 sf
  • 3 dTons = 1 ‘Officer’ Stateroom = 36 spaces (VDS) = 150 sf
  • 2 dTons = 1 Compact Stateroom = 24 spaces (VDS) = 100 sf

For enlisted men, we can increase the occupancy per 100 sf with military style bunks ...
  • (1-bunk) Barracks (2 dTon = 100 sf)= 24 spaces per person (VDS) = 100 sf per person
  • 2-bunk Barracks (2 dTon = 100 sf)= 12 spaces per person (VDS) = 50 sf per person
  • 4-bunk Barracks (2 dTon = 100 sf)= 6 spaces per person (VDS) = 25 sf per person
  • 8-bunk Barracks (2 dTon = 100 sf)= 3 spaces per person (VDS) = 12.5 sf per person

CT:High Guard said:
Staterooms: Crew and passenger couches allow temporary transportation, up to a maximum of 36 turns in combat (12 hours), and 24 hours for routine operations. For longer periods, staterooms must be provided. Small craft staterooms allow sleeping and privacy at two tons each, Cr100,000. Such staterooms may allow double occupancy (each person has the facilities for half a day) on non-commercial flights.

Note that even as far back as Classic Traveller, it was possible to fit two men in a 2 dTon "Small Craft Stateroom" ... equivalent to the "2-bunk Barracks" above. I admit that I was disappointed when the CE "Barracks" and "Economy Stateroom" both required the same space per person. Military Barracks have traditionally been more compact than Civilian accommodations and I just felt that the rules should reflect that. I realize that MgT 1ed Compatibility was probably the driving force behind the decision, and I can't fault that. I will just stick with the older Traveller tradition of 1 dTon per person for Military Barracks as the "Standard Barracks" and use that to recalculate the Staterooms for my Enlisted Men.

New Accommodation
  • Military 2-bunk Barracks: Long Duration; 24 Spaces; Cr100,000; Supports two people cramped, one comfortably (military only); 'hot bunking' allows four people cramped, two comfortably (military only).
  • Military 4-bunk Barracks: Long Duration; 24 Spaces; Cr100,000; Supports four people very cramped, two cramped (military only); 'hot bunking' allows eight people very cramped, four cramped (military only).

Crew =
270 Officers with Standard Staterooms (48 spaces per person)
2430 Enlisted Men with Military 2-bunk Barracks (12 spaces per person)

Accommodations
  • Standard Staterooms (x270) = - 12,960 spaces [270 Officers]
  • Military 2-bunk Barracks (x1215) = - 29,160 spaces [2430 Enlisted]

NEW TOTAL SPACES = +27,734 = (19% under)

Last edited:
So with the only "houserule" being the allowance of double-bunking in a Military Barracks (as was allowed in Classic Traveller for a Small Craft Stateroom), there you have a WW2 TL 5 Iowa Class Battleship using CE.

Let me know if anyone spots any rules or math errors that I made.

In the meantime, I wanted to take a closer look at some of the features and the CE Rules.

Back