• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: CT 1977 and CT 1981

creativehum

SOC-14 1K
In a thread about Cargo Cost, aramis at one point produced this nifty chart:
screen-shot-2017-03-06-at-9-13-11-am.png

It shows the ratio of Patrols vs. Pirates each edition of the boxed set of Traveller would produce using the Ships Encounter table, rolled when a ship enters a system.

Aramis notes:
In 77, pirates are the bane of populated systems, but are absent in the backwaters. The mains are dangerous for lack of services, not hostiles...

In 81, pirates are the scourge in the fringes - desperate men choking the lifeblood out of minor trade. Meanwhile, the major ports have no pirates, but plenty of law. And patrols are EVERYWHERE.

The "empire" of 81 leaves E and X alone, and to the pirates, but patrols the A and B systems, and the pirates only match with them in the C-ports.

The "empire" of 77 patrols everywhere, but is outgunned by pirates in the systems with good ports...

One is effective; the other not...

Carlobrand adds a few posts later:
'77 and '81 paint starkly different trade pictures, if you think about the meaning behind the numbers.

Where there's big money involved, that money will try to protect itself, and that clearly is not happening in the '77 universe. '77 is a universe of little trade between planets, with what trade occurs being the result of adventurous souls willing to take big chances to score that big hit. As Aramis points out, it's not a universe where the interstellar forces of goodness and niceness are very effective. Maybe they are more effective somewhere else, but they're not very effective where the players are. It's a universe where anarchy has the upper hand out in the airless void ...

... and as such, it is a small-ship universe. Big ships in trade mean big money and, as I noted, big money tries to protect itself.

By the '81 universe, it seems they're giving thought to an Imperium, or at least some organized effort to protect the trade lanes. There's enough economic activity going on up there to justify a planet putting up enough force to push piracy out to the hinterlands. Could be big ship, could be lots of small ships, but there's enough to warrant a real effective effort, at least where the bulk of traffic is.

I concur with the statements of aramis and Carlobrand.

Here are a few more differences between the 1977 rules and text and the 1981 rules and text:

When we look at the 1977 rules, we also find that there are Charted Space Lanes rather than Communication Routes in setting up a subsector.

Space Lanes are pre-plotted Jump plans that can be bought on cassettes that self-erase after one use. A ship with the Generate Program does not need them. But a ship without a Generate program needs them if it is going to get from one system to another. And if a Space Lane between two systems has not yet been charted at all, then the Generate program is required for a ship to get to it.

Also: The 1977 rules have no Travel Zones (Amber or Red). As one can see from the quotes above, it seems unlikely that governments that is constantly trying to swat away pirates from A starport systems (and not succeeding) will be able to interdict an entire system. Instead, all worlds, no matter how dangerous, are open to Player Character travellers if that's where they want to go. They could, of course, encounter resistance from any number of factions. But there is nothing on the books advising or warning them not to go.

Also: I recently came across this first paragraph from the section on Starship Encounters on p. 36:
"When a ship enters a star system, there is a chance that any one of a variety of ships will be encountered. The ship encounter table is used to determine the specific type of vessel which is met. This result may, and should, be superseded by the referee in specific situations, especially if a newly entered system is in military or civil turmoil, or involves other circumstances."

This assumes a setting that will have "military or civil turmoil" in the space between worlds. Not that there has to be turmoil. That is up to the Referee and the worlds he or she builds. But it is certainly implied there can be such turmoil, and the text encourages the Referee to think in terms of offering up such turmoil. But this sensibility is in contrast to the rules of the OTU's Third Imperium which allows conflicts on worlds, but not in the space between them.

These elements alone are enough to bring me peace of mind. This is the sort of rough-and-tumble setting that I always imagined for Traveller because, of course, I bought the 1977 edition in my youth.

During the game line's development the rules changed, the OTU was developed, and the game and the setting became one thing. My view of what sort of environment the Traveller rules originally implied became erased. When I would say, "The Spinward Marches seems safer and more civilized than I want," I would be met with the reply, "How can you say that? It's on the edge of the Imperium. There's all sorts of adventure."

Which is true, by the way. There is all sorts of adventure in The Spinward Marches. Nonetheless, to me, with all its mega corporations with tendrils to the smallest and off the beaten path worlds, its empire capable of interdicting entire star systems, its vast fleet of enormous startups that utterly dwarfed the ships of the player characters, its all seemed a much different environment than those I remembered reading about when I first bought the rules. Overall, the Third Imperium enforced a law and order across the stars that wasn't in alignment with my sensibility for Science-Fiction Adventure in the Far Future. (Not that there's anything wrong with that! Traveller was always about the Referee making the setting he or she wanted to share with is players. GDW made the setting they wanted from the core rules -- and that is awesome.)

Of course, two years ago I bought a PDF of the 1977 rules when I got the CT CD-ROM and could go back to rules I originally read.

So, a thought experiment:

Let's use the rules and observations of aramis and Carlobrand above, along with rules shared with the 1981 edition:
  • no fuel purifiers
  • a cap on ship size at 5,000 tons (or so -- yes, yes, I know one can extend the table)
  • the discussions of pirates and hijackings as a threat in Book 2
  • the need for Refined Fuel (which is only found at 37% of starports) to travel without the risk of drive failures and misjumps (both of which can cause catastrophic results)
  • the fact that Refined Fuel will only be available, on average, in 37% of star systems when rolled using tables in Book 3
  • Space travel is relatively expensive:
Costs of Living per Book 3
- Ordinary Living thus costs Cr4,800 per year
- High Living is Cr10,800 per year
Costs of Space Travel Passage per Book 2
- High Passage: Cr10,000
- Middle Passage: Cr8,000
- Low Passage: Cr1,000
  • governments do not handle communication through interstellar mail, but hire independent contractors to carry the mail
  • the fact that some people who need to travel but can only scrape together the Cr1000 needed for a Low Passage ticket are willing to risk a base 15% chance of death in order to get to another world
  • the fact that the interstellar culture is clearly stratified along class in some fashion or another

First: are there any other differences between the 1977 and 1981 rules that provide interesting contrasts in terms of setting?

Second: what sort of assumptions can be made about the setting? What are the implications? What do we think the settings would be like drawn from these rules and bits of text?

Last edited:
Also, for those of you interested in the Ship Encounter rules comparison, but don't have a copy of the 1977 rules:

1977 SHIP ENCOUNTER RULES
When a ship enters a star system, there is a chance that any one of a variety of ships will be encountered. The ship encounter table is used to determine the specific type of vessel which is met. This result may, and should, be superseded by the referee in specific situations, especially if a newly entered system is in military or civil turmoil, or involves other circumstances.

Throw two dice; apply a DM based on the starport of the primary world of the system (A +6, B +4, C +2, D +1, E –2, X –4). The result indicates the ship type encountered. If necessary, exact specifications for the ship should be generated. Both Patrol and Pirate Ships will generally be Type S Scout/Couriers (throw 6–) or Type C Cruisers (throw 8+), with the chance that they are Armed Type Y Yachts (throw 7).

Ship Encounters Table
Die...........Ship Encountered
8 or less....No encounter
9..............Free Trader
10 ...........Free Trader
11 ...........Free Trader
12 ...........Pirate
13 ...........Subsidized Merchant
14 ...........Patrol
15 ...........Subsidized Merchant
16 ...........Yacht
17 ...........Yacht
18 ...........Patrol

Free Traders, if friendly, may serve as a source of information about other circumstances in the system; Subsidized Merchants may also provide such information. Patrols may be simple border pickets, or may be a form of pirate, exacting tolls or penalties.

Last edited:
I've added the pretty chart showing piracy vs patrols to my comparison document and also added a bit more commentary.

I was originally thinking of using more along the lines of the 1981 charts, but more and more I think I'll use the 1977 charts.

I MIGHT still use the 1981 charts for some worlds, which of course is totally in the spirit of the game...

It's also worth noting that The Traveller Book added the Lab Ship and Safari Ship to the tables which makes some interesting changes. They are ONLY found in E and X systems (and only Lab Ships in X systems). Curious... Or a poor addition of them to the table.

I would love to see all this commentary wrapped up into a book sometime...

Frank

The firearms and melee weapon damages, and how they are applied.
EG: '77 BP is 3D-8 (min 0, median 3, max 10) vs '81 is 2D (min 2, media 7, max 12). Many firearms slightly more deadly in '81.

Use of Metric (81) vs Imperial/US_Customary (77) units for space. Changes space combat durations.

If cost of living is Cr 4,800, what would you think the average net (take home, before CoL) income for people is?

"High Living" is Cr 10,800. Not sure how High Living differs from Ordinary Living.

If typical take home net Cr 6,000 (which means they're capable of save 20% per year, which is pretty generous), that makes a LOT of things really expensive.

4,800 / 12 is 400/mo. 30% for housing, 120, leave 280 for food, clothing, and other needs. I'd consider "basic entertainment" in to Cost of Living (cable tv, magazine subscription, a movie or two each month, a gaming budget). I assume that the 4,800 is not borderline poverty, but, rather, middle class.

Consider owning a High Passage mustering out benefit. This person is set for life, frankly, without going anywhere. Cr10,000 a year in income just by selling the ticket. That's a solid retirement for anyone.

Space Travel is not only expensive, it seems rather unsafe. Traveling to an A Starport, the pinnacle of space civilization, has a more than 10% chance of a pirate encounter. Tack on a 15% chance of DEATH in a Low Berth, you'd have to be quite desperate to take a Low Berth trip. Just really high chance of having a bad trip.

Yet, of course, it costs MCr to handle a starship. That Scout ship you get as a mustering out benefit is actually quite the albatross. The service may be able to recall you whenever you want, which puts even more obligation on you to keep the ship maintained. If you were gifted a Free Trader, selling it and collecting your stake in it is end game. You're now a millionaire, back when "millionaire" actually meant something.

Finally, it doesn't take much to take the Adventurer out of somebody. Cr100,000 is 20 years of ball games and barbecues in your suburban house, with your wife, dog, and 2.3 children. Pretty attractive vs dying silently in the inky black vacuum of space or being slowly digested in the belly of some beast on the swamp world of Gamma Hydra V.

Another good find! I'll tackle your second question:

"Second: what sort of assumptions can be made about the setting? What are the implications? What do we think the settings would be like drawn from these rules and bits of text?"

Broad assumption: I think the 1977 version leans more Space Viking than Foundation, and 1981 the opposite. Much more free-wheeling.

The implications are that you can play without any details on the "distant Imperium" (as I am currently doing in my version of the Far Frontiers sector), since only the local polities matter. The setting would be much more "roll up a couple of sub-sectors and play", rather than "roll up a couple of sub-sectors and figure out how they fit into a wider setting".

Patrols would be local, not Imperial.

Characters would likely (but not necessarily) be from one of the local polities, rather than from the distant Imperium.

Consider owning a High Passage mustering out benefit. This person is set for life, frankly, without going anywhere. Cr10,000 a year in income just by selling the ticket. That's a solid retirement for anyone.

Whoa wait whut?

The rule (and I just checked) is that you get ONE, singular ticket at the passage level. No ongoing benefit.

TAS does of course, 1 High Passage every 2 months, which works out to something like a pilot salary if you cash them in.

Sure that isn't a homerule alteration?

I'm pretty sure it's a simple error -- conflating a couple of mustering out benefits.

So, a TAS membership provides 1 High Passage Ticket every two months. Tickets may be sold at 90% face value, so that is Cr4500 a month.

Still you could live on that if you wanted.

I think the more interesting aspect to whartung's post is this:
  1. He observes space travel is dangerous. (Certainly I think so.)
  2. He also observes that some PCs will muster out with enough money so they don't have to jump into a starship to go get some cash.

With the two points above linked or independent of each other, I think it's important to consider what kind of person becomes a traveler. Each story will be different as each character is different. But I think we can assume that the the guy who heads off into the fringe of space isn't the sort of person who wants to sit around in an office and grill on weekends.

But then, who are these people? Who are they not? What compels them to do this? What types of people, and what specific people?

Since first cracking open the Traveller box years ago these kinds of questions set my imagination on fire.

Travellers are the kinds of people who are willing to risk "dying silently in the inky black vacuum of space or being slowly digested in the belly of some beast on the swamp world of Gamma Hydra V." God bless them.

Also, references are being made to books and stories. We will, each of us, point toward stories that we have read and know. To name a book isn't to be wrong because someone else can name a different book. But it adds to the touchstones that might inform people of certain ideas and literary inspiration.

For me, The Third Imperium seems very much inspired by the Co-Dominium.

But when I look at Traveller 1979 I see very clearly E.C. Tubb's Dumarest books, The Beyond from Jack Vance's Demon Princes novels, and Poul Anderson's van Rijn. I can also see, in this vast catalogue of worlds available in all those systems separated by space and time, worlds like Vance's Planet of Adventure books as well as Herbert's Arrakis.

When I mention Arrakis it is not in the literal sense of being the treasure vault of a Plot McGuffin, but in terms of its brutal landscape in which power dynamics are struggle and fight. I see a world like Arrakis being possible in this implied setting because it is the kind of setting where the kinds of folks who don't know how to settle might end up -- either hired on by one side or another, or fighting for one side or another on principle, or ending up stranded there as war breaks out, or being drawn there because of word of some treasure they want to get their hands on.

It seems to me the kinds of men and women that become Player Characters in Traveller 1977 are looking for some sort of something that is bigger than life -- worlds, adventures, treasure, danger.

In contrast to rhialto (and I'm not saying he's wrong) I'm seeing the PCs being from subsectors away. They mustered out and either tried to settle down and realized it would never take, or knew right away they had the bug and had to keep traveling. They've traveled to this patch of danger where there are pirates and weak governments and rumors of treasure and a chance to make a mark... maybe overthrow a government and become kings themselves.

Last edited:
Flipping back and forth between '77 and '81, I find the "lack" of a patrol cruiser in '77 interesting.

Roll a pirate/patrol encounter in '77 and it's one of two ships: a 100dTon scout/courier or a 800 dTon cruiser. PCs have a chance against the former and none against the latter.

The addition of the patrol cruiser in '81 subtly changes the encounter table. Pirate results in '81 become 4 chances for a patrol cruiser, 2 chances for a merc cruiser, and 1 chance for a scout/courier.

While the 400 dTon patrol cruiser with four triple turrets and a code 3 computer is still an powerful opponent for the PCs, it's not as incredibly overwhelming as the 800 dTon cruiser with eight triple turrets and a code 5 computer.

Flipping back and forth between '77 and '81, I find the "lack" of a patrol cruiser in '77 interesting.

Roll a pirate/patrol encounter in '77 and it's one of two ships: a 100dTon scout/courier or a 800 dTon cruiser. PCs have a chance against the former and none against the latter.

The addition of the patrol cruiser in '81 subtly changes the encounter table. Pirate results in '81 become 4 chances for a patrol cruiser, 2 chances for a merc cruiser, and 1 chance for a scout/courier.

While the 400 dTon patrol cruiser with four triple turrets and a code 3 computer is still an powerful opponent for the PCs, it's not as incredibly overwhelming as the 800 dTon cruiser with eight triple turrets and a code 5 computer.

On both the strategic and tactical level, of course, this forces questions on the Players and forces them to make plans: If we can't defeat it, what do we do? Why are we in this system? Is our goal a secret? How do we keep that secret? What can we offer the pirates that won't cost us more than we can afford? And so on.

It might be the training I've gotten from running B/X D&D of late, but I've learned from this old game that "encounter" doesn't have to mean "fight." Early RPGs had little concern for "balance." You threw stuff at the Players at it's their job to figure out how to handle it well... with "well" being up to them to define.

By having two discrete ranges of ship strength the Players can quickly judge what they are up against. And then the context of their own agendas and the encounter allow them Players to formulate plans on how they want to proceed.

On both the strategic and tactical level, of course, this forces questions on the Players and forces them to make plans...

Yes, having an overwhelming design forces the players to plan and having "only" two designs mean they can more quickly decide what to do.

I was also thinking of the implications arising from the "fact" that half the pirate vessels in the '77 universe are the same design as all the military vessels and six out of seven pirate vessels in the '81 universe are the same too.

There aren't any Vargr corsairs (yet) and the Type-P isn't there unless you rope in S:4. (FWIW, I agree with the 4-4-4 definition of Proto.) In both the '77 and '81 versions of LBB:2, all pirate vessels are also military vessels.

That's a lot of mutinous crews and letters of marque.

It might be the training I've gotten from running B/X D&D of late, but I've learned from this old game that "encounter" doesn't have to mean "fight."

Very much so. The '81 table explicitly says as much.

If cost of living is Cr 4,800,...
This is taking us a bit off topic, but you are misinterpreting this number and that messes up the logic of the rest of your post. "Cost of Living" is a poor descriptor for the figure. Cr4800 only covers annual food and lodging at an "ordinary" level. Nothing is included in that for other necessities nor any discretionary spending.

If typical take home net Cr 6,000 (which means they're capable of save 20% per year, which is pretty generous)...
This isn't right. Food and lodging are on the order of 35% of consumption in the US today, so assuming similar expenditure patterns in your Traveller universe, "take home" would be closer to Cr15,000 with a low (5-10%) savings rate.

Finally, it doesn't take much to take the Adventurer out of somebody. Cr100,000 is 20 years of ball games and barbecues in your suburban house, with your wife, dog, and 2.3 children.
More like less than 7 years if you are keeping up the Jones's with a reasonable vehicle, and the wife I'm sure insists on buying health/auto/life insurance, and you better plan on a nice vacation a couple times a year (gotta visit the in-laws), and the kids education is expensive, and after-school activities, and they always need the latest tech gadgets and fashions, and do you hear what they think is music these days...

Space travel is expensive, with a one-way ticket is on the order of paying for a wedding. That is a lot to be sure, but still something that even average people could afford if they saved up for many years and there was something worth visiting not too far from home.

It is still pretty dangerous though, so I'd bet most people wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
One other big change between '77 and '81...

in '77, stateroom overhead is KCr2 per 2 weeks per "...stateroom, occupied or not,..." (Bk2-77 p6).

In '81, "Each occupied stateroom..." costs KCr2. (Bk2-81 p7)

83 & 84 both go with Each Occupied. (TTB, p52)(ST B1 p.30)

Similarly for LB overhead.

One other big change between '77 and '81...

in '77, stateroom overhead is KCr2 per 2 weeks per "...stateroom, occupied or not,..." (Bk2-77 p6).

In '81, "Each occupied stateroom..." costs KCr2. (Bk2-81 p7)

83 & 84 both go with Each Occupied. (TTB, p52)(ST B1 p.30)

Similarly for LB overhead.

Details added to my comparison document...

Let this be a call to anyone interested in these finer points. Please request permission to comment and when you find differences like this that are not called out in my document, add a comment to that effect and I will gladly update the document.

I would also consider adding others commentary if they were interested in contributing commentary.

Last edited:
Also, references are being made to books and stories. We will, each of us, point toward stories that we have read and know. To name a book isn't to be wrong because someone else can name a different book. But it adds to the touchstones that might inform people of certain ideas and literary inspiration.

For me, The Third Imperium seems very much inspired by the Co-Dominium.

But when I look at Traveller 1979 I see very clearly E.C. Tubb's Dumarest books, The Beyond from Jack Vance's Demon Princes novels, and Poul Anderson's van Rijn. I can also see, in this vast catalogue of worlds available in all those systems separated by space and time, worlds like Vance's Planet of Adventure books as well as Herbert's Arrakis.

When I mention Arrakis it is not in the literal sense of being the treasure vault of a Plot McGuffin, but in terms of its brutal landscape in which power dynamics are struggle and fight. I see a world like Arrakis being possible in this implied setting because it is the kind of setting where the kinds of folks who don't know how to settle might end up -- either hired on by one side or another, or fighting for one side or another on principle, or ending up stranded there as war breaks out, or being drawn there because of word of some treasure they want to get their hands on.

It seems to me the kinds of men and women that become Player Characters in Traveller 1977 are looking for some sort of something that is bigger than life -- worlds, adventures, treasure, danger.

In contrast to rhialto (and I'm not saying he's wrong) I'm seeing the PCs being from subsectors away. They mustered out and either tried to settle down and realized it would never take, or knew right away they had the bug and had to keep traveling. They've traveled to this patch of danger where there are pirates and weak governments and rumors of treasure and a chance to make a mark... maybe overthrow a government and become kings themselves.

The problem I have with the Dune analogies is how to handle a Marquis, for example, who is from sub-sectors away? In the case of Arrakis wouldn't that Marquis have many more assets than those available in the mustering out tables (e.g., control of some portion of the planet itself, in fief to the Duke)? Not saying it's wrong to draw that analogy, just that it presents problems with the RAW.

And for context I *do* have a Marquis in my current Far Frontiers campaign, and the player is having difficulty adjusting to the "Well, you're a Marquis from the distant Imperium, but out here you have just your yacht and crew..." As a Ref it's way easier to handle that way, as a player not so much. So the next time I begin a campaign I will lean more towards tying the PCs to the setting of play, rather than the assumption that they are far from their homes, always.

Hi rhialto,

Remember that I was speaking of Arrakis as a setting. A harsh and unique environment on the tipping point of political turmoil. I wasn't speaking of porting the entirety of Herbert's universe -- just one world. Please don't take my reference to any fiction as literal porting of setting or tales into a Traveller session -- I certainly don't.

I think this is as good a point as any to state I don't think Traveller (as originally conceived) was supposed to be about one setting. Traveller encouraged a subsector of many settings for play. That is why the UWP is designed to produce weird combinations that are "prods to the imagination" for the referee. Each world can be its own unique set of parameters for one adventure or many adventures because each world can be strange, exotic, and unique.

This fits with the sense of picturesque adventure found in the Dumarest books or the Demon Prince books, where the hero goes from one strange world to the next.

This all might seem maddening for the Referee to prep until one remembers that the rules state that only one subsector is required for months if not years of play. The Referee isn't worried about sectors worth of setting. He's looking at 34 to 40 or so worlds. Some of which the PCs could not get to for weeks of play.

[I of course say all this with the full caveat that the Referee can and should make any setting he wants, and if he wants the focus to be a singular, overall setting (like The Third Imperium) that's exactly what he should do.)

Your concerns about the Marquis as a PC are somewhat tangental to this thread, but you brought it up, and it is a question to be addressed in any game of original Traveller. So let's hash it out.

In my view, if the PCs are from far away and one of them is a title noble, the question becomes "Why is this marquis wandering the space lanes of this distant land?"

It is an awesome question because it beg an intriguing and awesome answer!

Were his lands taken from him and he is being hunted and on the run? Did he discredit himself in some way? Is he seeking revenge on a man or noble house or raiders rumored to be in this subsector this did his home harm? Is he seeking a fortune large enough to go back and seize back his throne?

Here we are dipping into tales like The Count of Monte Cristo, The Stars My Destination, Space Vikings, and countless others.

Why is this marquis traveling in his yacht and his crew? There's a story in that! At least that's how I use the Traveller character creation process. Every trip through the character generation system always seems to create -- at least for me -- a compelling character that has a reason to be out in the universe as a Traveller.

This isn't to say that the PC can't be from the setting of play. Again, the game supports the Referee doing what he wants! If a political game is desired, then create a noble house and go for it. (My own inclination would be for the noble house to have been attacked, as per the notes above anyway... but that's me.)

Last edited:
This is taking us a bit off topic, but you are misinterpreting this number and that messes up the logic of the rest of your post. "Cost of Living" is a poor descriptor for the figure. Cr4800 only covers annual food and lodging at an "ordinary" level. Nothing is included in that for other necessities nor any discretionary spending.

This isn't right. Food and lodging are on the order of 35% of consumption in the US today, so assuming similar expenditure patterns in your Traveller universe, "take home" would be closer to Cr15,000 with a low (5-10%) savings rate.

More like less than 7 years if you are keeping up the Jones's with a reasonable vehicle, and the wife I'm sure insists on buying health/auto/life insurance, and you better plan on a nice vacation a couple times a year (gotta visit the in-laws), and the kids education is expensive, and after-school activities, and they always need the latest tech gadgets and fashions, and do you hear what they think is music these days...

Space travel is expensive, with a one-way ticket is on the order of paying for a wedding. That is a lot to be sure, but still something that even average people could afford if they saved up for many years and there was something worth visiting not too far from home.

It is still pretty dangerous though, so I'd bet most people wouldn't risk it.

Thanks for that. I keep tossing around those Cost of Living values, but that isn't accurate for income. That makes sense for travellers, who live light. But I'll start making adjustments because the point of the comparison is for non-Travellers.

As for me, I'd probably peg food and housing at 40% - 45%. (15% food, 25%-30% housing). But I live in Los Angeles. Different parts of the country and the world will have different proportions!

You have to love desert settings, whether Dune, Tatooine, or Athas.

Everything tends to get reduced to the rawest elements, mostly due to the need to survive, and few other distractions.

Can you talk more about that?

It's another example GDW's deliberately vague wording, CH.

On the '77 encounter table, a result of 12 is a pirate. Period. No doubt about it.

The referee can "massage" the result in various ways and experienced referees will. There's nothing to say that an attack occurs, it's just an encounter after all. Overly literal referees will always equate "encounter" with 'attack" despite, as you note, they're being two different things.

On the '81 encounter table, the referee is explicitly told they have wiggle room. A roll which results in a TP, CP, or SP encounter "... can be construed as a pirate; such a ship will probably attack, or at least try to achieve a position where it can make the attempt."

Not must be a pirate. Not will definitely attack. Not will achieve an attack position. Can, possibly, and try.

The inexperienced or overly literal referee is reminded that the encounter table - or any table - is not a set of handcuffs but instead an aid for their imagination.

Back