• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT/MT/T4 character to G:T

I'm currently trying to convert an old Traveller character over to G:T,but I'm having a bit of problem.When I follow the formula on pg 125 ( Gurps skill level=(Traveller skill level x 1.5)+10 )to convert stats I come up with a way to high score.The character's str is 8, but when I follow the formula as it says I come up with 22.Doing it this way my PC's stats are Str 22,DX 24,IQ 25,HT 21.I've played GURPS for a long time & this seems a "bit" high.should I leave off the "+10" or is there something I missed.Thanks for any help.

From Warriorknight:

When I follow the formula on pg 125 ( Gurps skill level=(Traveller skill level x 1.5)+10 )to convert stats I come up with a way to high score.
Ok, this is IIRC, since I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but I think it goes as follows:

You have stats and you have skills.

Your stats is your UPP, eg Strength, Dex, etc
Your stats, CT/MT/T4 into GT should be
Stat number plus three.
Thus, CT Strength 8 should be GT Strength 11.

Some fudging is required when dealing with IQ/Intelligence/Education.

Your skills, thats your pilot-1, biology-2, etc.
This is when you use that conversion on page 125.

From my experience, some skills that are normally Level-0 in CT/MT don't come out real well in GT; they either are outragously low or outragously high when they should be in the 8-10 range. Fudging is required in these instances.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but thats how I remember doing conversions.

Originally posted by plop101:
Your stats is your UPP, eg Strength, Dex, etc
Your stats, CT/MT/T4 into GT should be
Stat number plus three.
Thus, CT Strength 8 should be GT Strength 11.

Some fudging is required when dealing with IQ/Intelligence/Education.

Your skills, thats your pilot-1, biology-2, etc.
This is when you use that conversion on page 125.
I'm looking at 2nd edition and not finding either the +10 for skills or +3 for stats*.

p. 124 has the conversion for statistics and it maps the Traveller stats to GT equivs but then has two different conversion tables, one for Charisma or Status (SOC) the other for the rest. Neither are quite just add 3, though CT 8 does map to 11.

p. 125 has the conversion for skills and it's more CT skill rank x = y character points in Gurps skill. For each coverted skill you get an = # of character points to flesh out the GT character.

Casey

* under the notes from changes from First to Second edition on sjgames.com there's "p.124-125: Character conversion from previous versions of Traveller was simplified."

Under the errata for first edition there's "P. 125. The formula for converting stats (mentioned on p. 124) was omitted. It is "GURPS Stat = Traveller Stat + 3", adjusted at the GM's discretion." So it looks like this was changed between editions.

Originally posted by Casey:

* under the notes from changes from First to Second edition on sjgames.com there's "p.124-125: Character conversion from previous versions of Traveller was simplified."

Under the errata for first edition there's "P. 125. The formula for converting stats (mentioned on p. 124) was omitted. It is "GURPS Stat = Traveller Stat + 3", adjusted at the GM's discretion." So it looks like this was changed between editions.
I've got a 1st ed. copy.That kind of explains why all I could find is the skill conversion formula.I was starting to think I was blind or something;glade to know I'm not.
Thanks for the help.

Advantages, Disadvantages and Quirks

Looking at the Gurps Traveller 2ed pg. 129: Advantages, Disadvantages and Quirks have little direct correspondence in Traveller. I find all the advantages, disadvantages and quirks in the GURPS character generating a bit overwhelming. I like the idea of generating a CT character then converting to GURPS, seems much more simple.

It later says in the paragraph that these can be given based on the character's concept. I like the idea that the GM could do this at their discretion.

Back