• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT+ Skills List

Originally posted by robject:
Good advice, Employee, thank you.

I don't know if this is better or worse, but here's a rearrangement: 1/3 are uncascaded, and the cascade groups are smaller in size.

Animal Handling
Battle dress
Brawling
Fleet tactics
Instruction
Jack of all trades
Language
Law
Leader
Liaison
Medic
Naval architect
Prospecting
Recruiting
Steward
Survival

BLADE (type)

BUSINESS
Admin
Broker
Trader

CLANDESTINE
Bribery
Carousing
Forgery
Gambling
Interrogation
Stealth
Streetwise

FIREARM (type)

HEAVY WEAPONS (type)

INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Astrogation
Communications
Computer
Sensor ops

SOLDIER
Combat engineering
Demolitions
Forward observer
Recon
Ship tactics
Tactics

SPACE
Gunnery
Pilot
Survey
Vac suit
Zero g

TECHNICAL
Craftsman
Electronics
Engineering
Gravitics
Linguistics
Mechanic

VEHICLE (type)
Aren't you missing the ARTS & SCIENCE and Blade Weapon cascades? You need Arts and Sciences for the Academic and Scientists careers, right? Oh, and take Linguistics out of Technical, it doesn't belong there and put it in with the A&S group...

Code:
[b]ARTS & SCIENCES[B]
Art
Biology
Chemistry
Economics
Geology
History
Linquistics
Physics
...Law might belong in here too
[code]

Eris,

That's the Academic cascade I was referring to.

OK, time to drive home and log back in a few hours from now to see 2 more pages in each thread...
file_23.gif

Right you both are, jappel and Eris. 'Blade' is right above 'Business'. Law might be a good candidate for Academic.

Animal Handling
Battle dress
Brawling
Craftsman
Fleet tactics
Jack of all trades
Language
Leader
Liaison
Mechanic
Medic
Melee combat
Naval architect
Navigation
Prospecting
Recruiting
Ship tactics
Steward
Survey
Survival

ACADEMIC
Instruction
Law
Linguistics
Various Arts & Sciences

BLADE (type)

BUSINESS
Admin
Broker
Trader

CLANDESTINE
Bribery
Carousing
Forgery
Gambling
Interrogation
Stealth
Streetwise

FIREARM (type)

HEAVY WEAPONS (type)

SOLDIER
Combat engineering
Demolitions
Forward observer
Recon
Tactics

SPACE
Astrogation
Engineering
Gunnery
Pilot
Vac suit
Zero g

TECHNICAL
Communications
Computer
Electronics
Gravitics
Sensor ops

VEHICLE (type)

I'm not sure now the list up there is going to be presented in CharGen. For example, Gravitics, Mechanics and Engineering are skills that an "Engineer", whether in the Navy, Scouts, Merchants, or Pirates, would need. Mechanics appears to be a "non-cascading" skill, and the "Space" cascade makes sense on any of the above listed careers, but for Gravitics you'd need the "Academic" cascade unless it is dropped naked into the appropriate career tables...or duplicated and placed in both a "Space" and "Academic" cascade.

Maybe we also need a "Technical" cascade for non space careers that have tech skills. An Army PC who worked needs Gravitics to work on grav vehicles and maybe some limited form of Engineering to work on Fusion Power Plants, would be an example.

Not everything has to be in a cascade, and even if it is, it can still sit by itself on the tables. Take a look at the MT chargen table, for example.

For that matter, MT has both Tech and Space Tech trees. My CR 0.02 would be to simply take that list and prune it.

- John

Eris, we'll have to burn that bridge when we come to it... and we're zooming up on it pretty fast.

OK, my Cr0.02.

Navigation must return. Never understood the idea that space pilots could find their way through uncharted jungle, and Barbarians could plot Hohman transfers.
Navi- and Astro-gation, please.

I kind of like the idea of cascades/clusters, but they are approaching overdone in MT, while TNE makes them just plain silly.

Academics and Technical are great cascades.
Not sure Gravitics should be under Academic. I know why its there, but your more important skill is going to be fixing the stuff, not navel-gazer theorizing.

Electronics should be under Technical.

I propose Melee Combat, Ranged Combat and Hvy Wpns Combat. Melee includes Brawling and the various Blades and Polearms. Ranged includes firearms, laser wpns, bows, and slings. Heavy Weapons is anything above .50 caliber.

We should have Brawling (includes chairs, bottles, etc.) and Unarmed Combat or Martial Arts. And, Unarmed Combat should be slightly deadlier.

Ship Tactics should be under Space. Aint no grunts gonna be tellin me how to fight my ship.

Language would technically be a cascade, wouldn't it?

**New idea How about a note to the effect that skills can always be limited by TL, career, etc. So, Recon could be applied with a limitation that it is used to track animals for a Barbarian, rather than "recon" for the military. Stealth could be specialized to trailing suspects. Mechanic could be limited by TL. Etc.
I know this sounds like a "Duh!" but it was never said in CT, and should have been (IMO, of course). It allows for some characterization to happen, without adding boatloads of skills. And, it might spark some chargen inventiveness.

I will never vote for a Skills List that excludes Archaeology. ;)

Seriously. One of the core concepts of the Traveller Universe is the Ancients.

By definition, archaeology is "the study of prehistoric peoples and ancient cultures and civilizations"

And the cascade concept is perfectly A-OK with me. In fact, the cascades concept is one of the best ways that we can shoe-in tons of new skills into CT.... but without making it look like we are revising/rewriting the entire Skills Tables.

Originally posted by Maladominus:
By definition, archaeology is "the study of prehistoric peoples and ancient cultures and civilizations"
And, it fits very nicely as an Academic cascade.

Originally posted by Maladominus:
In fact, the cascades concept is one of the best ways that we can shoe-in tons of new skills into CT.... but without making it look like we are revising/rewriting the entire Skills Tables.
Absolutely! :D :cool: (Did I say that somewhere else....)

I will never vote for a Skills List that excludes Archaeology.
(I can just hear the indiana jones theme in the background.)

loot sites of the ancients. uncover darrian secrets. release the forbidden science of the second imperium (see related thread). serve as a front for some covert action, and get caught up in it. find out how and why a planetary civilzation self-destructed (or did it?). muster out with a ship. above all, tell everyone that "it belongs in a museum!"

good stuff here.

Martial arts falls under Melee Combat.

The various and sundry academic disciplines are numerous. I'm representing them with the term Various for now.

Well, they should! And "Ranged Combat" covers firearms, lasers, and archaic weapons nicely. (See my post above... I need my Barbarians!)

I like the idea of using cascade skills extensively (but not exclusively) on the career tables, as this allows a lot of player choice in individual skills whilst still being steered career wise.

Let's not go the TNE route, though, Takei.
file_28.gif
And, you could always specify that certain skills w/in a cascade are disallowed for a certain career. Or, at least, discouraged w/out good explanations....

Two additional Classic Traveller skills are clearly mentioned in Book 8: Robots

Robotics

and

Robot Operation

Here is the text directly from Book 8:

If a player wishes to generate a character with Robotics skill, use the Scientist character generation system from Citizens of the Imperium, and replace Computer skill with Robotics on the Advanced Education (education 8+) Table.

Book 8 (Robots) is considered an "official" canon material for Classic Traveller.

OK, after some hmmming and hawing, I have My Skill List. This would work for PT or CT+, unless (of course) you disagree - in which case, Tttpppphhhhhbbbt! (sp?)

Skills</font>
  • Academics</font>
  • Administration</font>
  • Astrogation</font>
  • Bribery</font>
  • Carousing</font>
  • Communications</font>
  • Computer</font>
  • Demolition</font>
  • Disguise</font>
  • Engineering</font>
  • Equestrian</font>
  • Forensics</font>
  • Forgery</font>
  • Fwd Obsv</font>
  • Gambling</font>
  • Gunnery</font>
  • Hunting</font>
  • Instruction</font>
  • Interrogation</font>
  • Jack-o-T</font>
  • Language</font>
  • Leader</font>
  • Legal</font>
  • Liaison</font>
  • Mechanical</font>
  • Medical</font>
  • Melee Cbt</font>
  • Navigation</font>
  • Pilot</font>
  • Powered Armor</font>
  • Prospecting</font>
  • Ranged Cbt</font>
  • Recon</font>
  • Recruiting</font>
  • Sensors</font>
  • Ship Tactics</font>
  • Ship's Boat</font>
  • Steward</font>
  • Streetwise</font>
  • Support Cbt</font>
  • Surveillance</font>
  • Survey</font>
  • Survival</font>
  • Swimming</font>
  • Tactics</font>
  • Trader</font>
  • Vacc Suit</font>
  • Vehicle</font>
  • Zero-G Maneuver</font>
Cascades
</font>
  • </font>
    • Academics
    • Archeology</font>
    • Biology</font>
    • Chemistry</font>
    • Cosmology</font>
    • Environment</font>
    • History</font>
    • Jump Physics</font>
    • Linguistics</font>
    • Mathematics</font>
    • Physics</font>
    • Planetology</font>
    • Psionics</font>
    • Psychology</font>
    • Sociology</font>
    • Xeno-Biology</font>
    • Xeno-Psychology</font>
    </font>
</font>
  • </font>
    • Engineering
    • Aerospace</font>
    • Civil</font>
    • Electrics</font>
    • Gravitics</font>
    • Nuclear</font>
    • Robotics</font>
    </font>
</font>
  • </font>
    • Mechanical
    • Construction</font>
    • Electrics</font>
    • Engines</font>
    • Gravitics</font>
    • Machinery</font>
    • Weapons</font>
    </font>
</font>
  • </font>
    • Vehicle
    • Air-Jet</font>
    • Air-LTA</font>
    • Air-Prop</font>
    • Air-Rotary</font>
    • Grav-Heavy</font>
    • Grav-Light</font>
    • Grav-Personal</font>
    • Hovercraft</font>
    • Other</font>
    • Track</font>
    • Water-Boat</font>
    • Water-Sail</font>
    • Water-Ship</font>
    • Water-Submersible</font>
    • Wheel-Large</font>
    • Wheel-Small</font>
    </font>
</font>
  • </font>
    • Melee Combat
    • Axe</font>
    • Bayonet</font>
    • Blade</font>
    • Brawling</font>
    • Heavy Sword</font>
    • Large Sword</font>
    • Light Sword</font>
    • MA Kata</font>
    • Martial Arts</font>
    • Small blade</font>
    • Spear</font>
    </font>
</font>
  • </font>
    • Ranged Combat
    • 0-G Wpns</font>
    • Bow</font>
    • Crossbow</font>
    • Laser Wpns</font>
    • LMG or LAG</font>
    • Pistol</font>
    • Revolver</font>
    • Rifle</font>
    • Shotgun</font>
    • Sling</font>
    • SMG</font>
    </font>
</font>
  • </font>
    • Support Combat
    • Artillery</font>
    • Auto-Cannon/Hvy MG</font>
    • Dropped Munitions</font>
    • Grenade Launcher</font>
    • Hi-Engy Wpns</font>
    • Mortar</font>
    • RAM Grenade Launcher</font>
    • Recoilless Rifle/Bazooka</font>
    • Siege Weapons</font>
    • Sfc-to-Sfc Missiles</font>
    • VRF Gauss</font>
    </font>
</font>
  • </font>
    • Gunnery
    • Energy Wpns</font>
    • Lasers</font>
    • Meson</font>
    • Missiles</font>
    • PAW</font>
    • Screens</font>
    </font>
And, yes, some of the cascades are just a bit forced (though I am happy with most all), but they all can be lined up on a 1d, 2d, or 3d table for random generation if so desired.

A handful of explanations:
Brawling is just that - brawling. Martial Arts is a structured hand combat system. MA Kata is any of those systems with various weapon aids (not otherwise covered). MA does more damage (without chairs and bottles) than brawling.
Academics is often theoretical, Engineering is design, Mechanical is wrench-turning. No, they don't have identical cascades. (Mechanical: Construction is hammering nails, popping rivets, welding, brick-laying, etc.)
Light Sword includes Foil, Large Sword includes the old "Sword", and Heavy Sword includes things like Claymores.
Dropped Munitions includes aerial-delivered bombs, air-to-air missiles, etc.
Electrics includes Electronics, FO, etc.

I'm going to sit by and wait for the shredding to begin, now. ;)

That looks good to me. But keep in mind I was never very picky about the skills table. As long at it is d6 compatible I like it. :cool:

Back