• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT+ task system

flykiller, truncate(attribute/2)-4 is really close to your numbers.
Berg, part of it is just the idea of a bell curve (2d6) that has a linear bonus layed on top of it. Also, the idea that an absolute klutz/weakling/moron/dunce gets a + just gets under a lot of people's skin (like mine
).

flykiller, truncate(attribute/2)-4 is really close to your numbers.
yeah, it is at the upper end. but actually I think a small table is simpler than int(attribute/2)-4.

anyway sigg is right about the negative modifier. the 4/8/12/16 thing with 8 being routine "challenges" only works if a straight skill modifier is supplemented by some kind of attribute modifier obtained by even average attributes. what I proposed would require a task system designed to accomodate it. like mine (smile).

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">routine 3+
unusual 6+
difficult 9+
very difficult 12+
extraordinary 15+
incredible 18+

skill mod: stat x 2 - 1
stat mod: 2 -2
3-4 -1
5-9 0
A-B +1
C +2</pre>[/QUOTE]here a stat mod zeroed at seven makes sense. it doesn't make sense tacked onto aramis/sigg's system.

perhaps it would help if you think of the stat/4 result as being not a bonus but just a range of supplemental ability based on stats, and the task system itself as being built around the modifiers.

The basis of my system (read it's thread for handling varius situations, such as opposed tasks etc, even though it's a bit outdated; if a contradiction with this post exists, this post overrides the thread):

2d6 roll required

Easy 4+
Average 8+
Formidable 12+
Extreme 16+
Hopeless 20+

DMs + relevent skill
+/- attribute derived bonus
+/- equipment derived midifier
+/- environmental/situational derived modifier

Attribute derived modifier is -1 if the attribute is less than the target number, -2 if the attribute is less than the target number of the next lowest difficulty, +1 if the attribute is equal or greater than the target number and +2 if the attribute is equal or greater than the target number of the next highest difficulty.

Each task has one relevant skill and one relevant attribute. Combat (whether personal, vehicle or naval) is based on tasks. Task system attribute DMs replace the LBB1/LBB4 favorable/minimal weapon DMs.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
One thing not addressed yet (in the consensus [?] system) is opposed tasks. How do you handle, say a vehicle chase, or a sub-hunt with this system.
My system deals with this...

Just one thing.

The negative DM for attribute less than the task number.

Joe Again 7 7 7 7 7 7 trying an average task (8+) with a skill level of 1 will fail 58% of the time.
Get rid of the negative DM and the failure rate is only 42%.
Stick to attribute/4 and the failure rate is only 28%.

Skills in CT didn't suffer -DMs, thay were only used in combat.
MT didn't use them because it makes tasks too difficult.

For a game session to flow the players have to succeed at most of the average tasks they try, otherwise you'll spend your whole time trying to think of other ways for them to solve the same problem, or worse they hit a wall and it takes a referee DEM to move them on.
IMHO, YMMV ;)

Yes, Sigg, but your Joe Average is not a Traveller. He may have some 7s, but the average for the entire range of a Traveller (2-15) is really an 8. So, it works out. Unless, of course, your characters like playing to their weaknesses.... ;)

And, average tasks get progressively harder as those aging rolls kick in...
C'mon, you've seen those old folks driving........

Back