• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Non OTU: Cuisine for the traveling Traveller

Timerover51

SOC-14 5K
Based on feedback on another thread, I am starting this one concerning recipes for the various Traveller races, which could be made here. I do like to collect cookbooks, so I have a wide range, plus there are quite a few available for download or perusal on the Internet. The basis for this idea is a couple of cookbooks that I have, one covering Narnia, written by Douglas Gresham, C. S. Lewis' stepson, and also one based on the Sherlock Holmes stories. So, based on the following information from Aramis, here goes. Note, eat are your own risk!!!!

Vilani "cuisine" is similar in many ways to certain South Pacific diets - highly processed in order to make the inedible edible. No "import" species pre-spaceflight, so only what was on their bodies... which probably means bacterial cultures can be traced to normal body flora.... (eww...) But note also: vilani have to ferment just about EVERYTHING from Vland in order to render the majority of protiens digestable. Since they don't have major metabolic disorders, all needed amino acids are present in the environment.

Zhodani - human normal for diet, but Zhdant was intentionally stocked with edible species, so not anywhere near as extreme as Vilani. Still, I'd expect somewhat more involved prep for some items in the diet, as they're precursor native life...

Vargr: noted for highly spiced foods, especially aromatic spices, and yes, meat dominant. But also note: Like the vilani, they're transplants. Expect some "native" foods on lair are inedible without bacterial culturing.

Aslan: At least one illo shows live food escaping the plate. Carnivores with some spices. Since they are xenomammalia, they probably have little issue with dairy as a basis, but may have adult intolerances of it. Use of plants as dietary additions is noted, but unlike the Vargr, they are probably not eaten as significant dietary elements. Perhaps, some as dietary supplements or medicinals (much as cats eat grass as a medicinal, and mint as a recreational).

K'Kree: No animal product at all. MILITANTLY ANTI-Dairy. Keep in mind - while warm blooded, and placental, they are not mammals. (infants are fed by regurgitation.) One of the short stories shows a K'kree killing a xenomammalian for nursing its young.

Curry Powder for Vargr (and Human)

There seems to be at more curry powder recipes than people who record them, as some have several different mixtures, depending on the dish. The following are some that I am thinking of actually having made up. I LIKE curry powder in chili, as well as curries in general. Just not super hot ones.

CURRY POWDER RECIPES

Garnet Wolseley: The Soldier’s Pocket Book, 1886 edition

Turmeric 1/4 ounce 4 ounces
Chillies 1/4 ounce 4 ounces
Black Pepper 1/8 ounce 2 ounces
Coriander Seed 1 dram (1/16 ounce) 1 ounce
Cummin Seed 1/2 dram (1/32 ounce) 1/2 ounce
Cloves 1/2 dram (1/32 ounce) 1/2 ounce

The first column is the required spice, with the second column being the quantities given by Wolseley in his book. The last column multiplies the quantities given by 16 to make it a bit easier to make up in a reasonable quantity. The total weight for Wolseley measures is 3/4 of an ounce, with a daily ration for Indian troops when on shore, not on shipboard, of 1/2 ounce of curry. Wolseley recommends making it up in 10 pound tins for issue. When you think about it, a 10 pound tin is only enough for the daily ration of 320 men. For chillies, use cayenne pepper. For an alternate taste, you could try "chipotle", which is smoked jalapeno peppers. For more heat, use "habaneros".

Eaton’s Curry Powder: Taken from Mrs. Mary Eaton’s book, The Cook and Housekeeper's Complete and Universal Dictionary; Including a System of Modern Cookery, in all Its Various Branches, copyright 1823.

CURRIE POWDER. Dry and reduce the following articles to a fine powder. Three ounces of coriander seed, three ounces of turmeric, one ounce of black pepper, and one of ginger; half an ounce of lesser cardamoms, and a quarter of an ounce each of cinnamon, cummin seed, and cayenne. Thoroughly pound and mix them together, and keep it in a well-stopped bottle.

DANIEL SANTIAGOE, curry cook: Taken from Daniel Santiagoe’s book, The Curry Cook's Assistant, copyright 1889.

The best Curry Powder is made of coriander seed (which could be got from the chemist's), saffron, dry chillies, cumin seed, few mustard seed, few pepper corns. If the Curry Powder contains all the above, it is a good Curry Powder.

No.▮1.—HOME-MADE CURRY POWDER.
In England.
1 lb. Coriander Seed.
½ oz. Saffron.
1 Eggspoon Cumin Seed.
½ doz. Pepper Corns.
Small bit of Cinnamon (1 in. square).
8 Dried Chillies Capsicums.
4 Tablespoons good Rice.

Mode.—Place a frying-pan (not an enamelled one) on fire; soon as it gets hot put in the coriander; when nice and gold colour take it off and put on a plate again. Set the frying-pan on fire and add the cumin seed, pepper corns, dry chillies. Just give a shake, and take it off and give it two or three more shakes and put on a plate, but don't put the saffron in the frying-pan. Now wipe the frying-pan, and set on fire again; when hot, put in the rice, and keep on shaking till each grain gets goldish brown; do not let it burn. The rice on board of ships will answer to this better than you buying from your grocer's; but in the scarcity of above any rice will do.

Now when all these are done we shall have to grind it to a smooth powder. These cannot be done unless you have a stone-made pounder or Curry stone and grinder. The latter I have not seen in England, still there is the finest strong metal stones in England. The Curry stone and grinder is bought for no money in up country of Ceylon, but in Colombo, the chief city here, we pay 50 cents, to Rs. 2▮50▮cts. each. Curry stone and grinder will last for generations. It is better to grind all Curry stuffs separately and keep each in its own bottle, then you will be careful of what you are about, and you will know how much you are using of each stuff.

For any meat Curry (per lb.) add one tablespoon coriander seed, a saltspoon of saffron, a pinch of cumin seed, dash of pepper, small bit of cinnamon, one-half tablespoon of rice powder; if preferred hot, add a bit of cayenne. [Poster's Note: This is apparently per pound of meat.]

Dinner for Vargr

The following recipes have been adapted from Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management, recipes 627 and 649. They should adequately feed, with leftovers, 2 to 4 hungry Vargr (or 6 to 8 humans). They might be a bit spicy for Vilani. I need to give thought to trying this the next time I put a pot roast in the crock pot. Normally, I use vegetable soup mix (or dip mix) and Lawry's Season Salt, but the carrots and maybe some pearl onion along with curry powder might be quite good. My mother used to make something very similar to the beef fritters. Enjoy!

BRISKET OF BEEF, a la Vargr

INGREDIENTS.—About 6 to 8 lbs. of brisket of beef (or pot roast), 10 slices of bacon, 2 carrots, 1 onion, a bunch of savory herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme), salt and pepper to taste, 4 cloves, 4 whole allspice, 2 blades of mace.

Mode: Choose that portion of the brisket which contains the gristle, trim it, and put it into a stew pan (or slow cooker) with the slices of bacon, which should be put under and over the meat. Add the vegetables, herbs, spices, and seasoning, and cover with a little beef stock or water; close the stew pan as hermetically as possible, and simmer very gently for 4 hours. Strain the liquor, reserve a portion of it for sauce, and the remainder boil quickly over a high burner until reduced to a glaze, with which glaze the meat. Cut in equal portions, and place on 2 to 4 dishes. Garnish the dishes with raw peeled carrots and raw cauliflower flowerets. Thicken and flavor with a teaspoon of curry powder the liquor that was saved for sauce, pour it round the meat, and serve.

Sufficient for 2 to 4 Vargr

Serve with beef fritters.

BEEF FRITTERS Vargr

INGREDIENTS.—About 6 to 8 ounces of cold roast beef, curry powder (one teaspoon to one tablespoon) and salt to taste, 1.5 lb. of flour, 1 pint of water, 4 oz. of butter, the whites of 4 eggs.

Mode.—Mix very smoothly, and by degrees, the flour with the above proportion of water; stir in 4 oz. of butter, which must be melted, but not oiled, and, just before it is to be used, add the whites of four well-whisked eggs. Should the batter be too thick, more water must be added. Pare down the cold beef into thin shreds, season with curry powder and salt, and mix it with the batter. Drop a small quantity at a time into a pan of boiling lard (or other oil), and fry from 7 to 10 minutes, according to the size. When done on one side, turn and brown them on the other. Drain on paper towels for a few minutes, and then serve in a bowl alongside the plate of brisket. A small quantity of finely-minced onions, mixed with the batter, is an improvement.

Serves 2 to 4 Vargr

If this goes well, more recipes will be coming.

Back