• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General K'kree Diet

So would they be likely to have at some point in their history kept their terrestrial* version of a cat to keep pests away from their food? Might there be a smaller similar creature from the same genus or such that performs the same function?

So would they be likely to have at some point in their history kept their terrestrial* version of a cat to keep pests away from their food? Might there be a smaller similar creature from the same genus or such that performs the same function?
Kirk suffered a reset about 3 million years ago. While that is enough time to re-diversify, the K'kree were also altering the surviving life just by grazing heavily as they rose to sentience. Anything displaying stalking behavior was probably hunted to extinction during the period when the Kirrixurians were supposedly hunting them. That period is when their modern patterns started to form.

As gardeners and farmers, composting is probably acceptable. A lot of things fall under that umbrella.

I'm also very much of the opinion that the K'kree are not nearly as monolithic as they are portrayed. It's already known that the higher ranked are less religious than the lower in general, and the depicted governing structures (top down, ONE WAY, feudo-communist) are a breeding ground for the higher standing K'kree to slowly rub off on their citizens. If some useful insectivore survives in one region, that's the local Bosses business.

And then there are the thousands upon thousands of Embassy staff. Forced to accept being stuffed into tin cans for *years* of travel time, live among savages until relieved by equally put upon replacements, and *back in the can* to go home. Odds are overwhelming they are not the same people anymore, even if they spend some of each trip in a cold berth.

And then there are the thousands upon thousands of Embassy staff. Forced to accept being stuffed into tin cans for *years* of travel time, live among savages until relieved by equally put upon replacements, and *back in the can* to go home. Odds are overwhelming they are not the same people anymore, even if they spend some of each trip in a cold berth.
I can't help but wonder how the planet bound K'kree and the space travelling K'kree see each other. They may be the same Race, but there must be a vast gulf between their differing mind set and culture.

I can't help but wonder how the planet bound K'kree and the space travelling K'kree see each other. They may be the same Race, but there must be a vast gulf between their differing mind set and culture.
Probably some the herd that wanders the stars watching over us metaphor and hagiography.

Collateral symptoms of agoraphobia...*

‐-------------
*as they see it, anyhow.

Well they go to great lengths to avoid that, with the supermassive ships with a “stateroom” 100x bigger than normal and holds 10-20 Kkree.

But there is definitely some variation. Some small carnivores may be more trouble to eliminate than the effort is worth. Just like humans get spend some effort to be rid of pests where they are, so do Kkree. Kkree just include every predator/carnivore in the pest category. They are never in the pet/ work animal/ beautiful wildlife category. (just some pests aren’t worth the trouble to completely eliminate)

If you have any group of a dozen or more sophonts, they will have multiple opinions/approaches to something. The Kkree may all agree “predators should die”. but how much Should matters varies.

Last edited:
You know, K'kree diet could mean eating nothing but K'kree...
Troops who had to eat horse meat never seemed to like it. Now the Aslan might enjoy that diet quite a lot. The Vargr might want some vegetables every once in a while.

ETO Subsistence, World War 2

One-Day Ration for 70--90-pound Animal Performing Guard Duty
Item Quantity (Ounces)
Meats: Beef, boneless, frozen (boiling and stewing) 12.0 ounces, Fish, canned (1) 4.0 ounces,
Milk, whole, dry 2.0 ounces, equivalent to 16 ounces of liquid milk (2)
Vegetables: Tomatoes, canned 1.0 ounce, Cabbage, canned 1.0 ounce, Carrots, canned 1.0 ounce, Spinach, canned 1.0 ounce
Cereals: Wheat, whole 1.33 ounce, Oats, rolled 1.33 ounce, Cornmeal 1.34 ounce
Miscellaneous: Salt .25 ounce, Cod Liver Oil (Halibut or Shark) .25 ounce
TOTAL: 40.50 ounces
(1) Salmon 50%, Mackerel 50%.
(2) Two ounces powdered whole milk, when reconstituted, is equivalent to 16 ounces liquid milk. This item is computed as 16 ounces in determining total weight.

Troops who had to eat horse meat never seemed to like it.
I’ve seen horse meat in supermarkets in Québec, so some people must like it. My understanding is that it’s a very lean meat, so perhaps troops never seemed to like it because it was consistently overcooked (e.g. comparisons to “shoe leather”).

Cod Liver Oil (Halibut or Shark) .25 ounce
Surely those would be “halibut liver oil” or “shark liver oil” respectively?

I’ve seen horse meat in supermarkets in Québec, so some people must like it. My understanding is that it’s a very lean meat, so perhaps troops never seemed to like it because it was consistently overcooked (e.g. comparisons to “shoe leather”).

Kangaroo can be purchased in Australia - it's can be quite a tough meat so needs to be eaten rare (though I'm sure a slow or pressure-cooker could do a good job too). It's also a very lean meat.

They sell it in my local supermarket from time to time.

I tried to get it at my village butcher but he told me to...

"hop it!"

Fish, canned (1) 4.0 ounces,

(1) Salmon 50%, Mackerel 50%.
Note that canned tuna was not popular in the US then, as uncooked canned tuna has a nasty odor and taste.

It only became popular (and replaced the two above) in the US after WW2 when cooking before canning became the norm (although it was popular in Australia since 1903).

My Father, born in 1932, never liked tuna from the can without a lot of disguising because he still associated it with the flavor when he was a child.

Back