• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Describe YOUR 2300 world/universe

Neat site. Some of it actually parallels what I'm doing with 2320AD.
And oh, the new colony with the SU? It's called Erikson. :D

Colin, 2320AD writer
140,000 words and counting

I like the ship designs and combat report. The rest of the site is pretty good as well. Well done Jon, thanks for posting all of your hard work.

My focus has been Chengdu, which is a pretty cosmopolitan place. Manchuria subsidizes smaller nations (e.g., Greece, Turkey, Serbia, the Philippines) in exchange for them agreeing not to build on other Manchurian colony planets. So there's lots of goings on there.

France remains the top dog in my TU. I don't like France, and neither do my players, but that makes for more fun -- not less. I find that one of the fun things is that America is a second tier power and is a bit hungry for more status, and that its officials aren't shy about tweaking the French.

My focus has been a couple of planets... each for a campaign. I never really got outside them...

One of them has been depracated, as I generated the Aurore system before I got a hold of the Aurore module... ad got a VERY different world. <G>

The other, well, Earth. Actually, Orbitals... no dirtside save by net-run.

And I've run several short campaigns on the "Real Aurore"

the 23AD I'm working on is fairly mutch un-changed exceopt for a few Secrets like the Aussies and the yanks have worked out brown dwarfs but an't tell'n anyone also they falsified a few survey reports and have set-up a few covert colonies including one on LP101-15 A.K.A. Holings/Eurika/Nergal the systom has three inhabited worlds the first Holings named after th PM at time of seltment is a world grean and pleasent biologicaly compatible with earth also with the same minrail wealth the. secound Eurika is less habitabale the land is marginaly habitable at best but you can still farm or grase on it but it has grater minrial wealth that is more accessible. and finily Nergal is Mars like but over flowing with lots of minrial resorces. for the past half decade the Aussies and the yanks have built the colony to a few of hundred thousaund, but come 2300 they had to bring in other nasions (in Secret of cause) the Aussies brought in NZ & PNG and the Yanks Texas, the Jappinise foynd out some how and black-mailed their way in to the program but brought somutch good stuf and people everyone aggreas if they had knowen they would have got an invite to the party anyway. all this goes public come 2303 when someone leaks (posible adventure?). and then theirs the Kafers scouting the Yank arm as well

The question is how do they keep it a secret? A small outpost is one thing, but massed shipments of people is another, especially with the small number of colonial transports (the US has 29, but it is only a minor coloniser).

The Kiwis and Papuans hate each other with a passion, the Kiwis are closer to Japan or Britain than Australia in many ways (http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/2300/Oceania/NZ/RNZDFInt.htm), and the Australians are overstretched beyond imagination, and (by canon) too busy fighting the Marians to maintain their colony of conquest (rather than by settlement) on Tirane.

The US has several possible colony worlds in the American Arm, but hasn't the resources to colonise them. Of course, the Melborne Accords mean them can't stop anyone else doing it either (without breaking the accords and going to war).

OTOH, the US would profit greatly from another nation colonising Highland, especially if they could get supply contracts etc.

The Japs would do it but are rather distracted by Aoki and Toshimitzu (sp?) being threatened and both threatened and invaded, respectively.

Bryn

the coliny is a joint opperiasion to start with but they can't go it alone thats why they are forced in to bringing other nasions and i did say they fulisified the orignal servay, and part of the reason their in trubble to start with is bacause they are runing a covert program s othey dont techinalicy breach the Melborne Accords and theise worlds where to good to not set apon one Agg world an other habitable mining/indrustral world and a third support requierd gold mine

My 2300 universe has been limited to a few small fringe worlds and the colonies thereupon... and since one of them has been Aurore... the Kafers do rear their ugly heads.

In “my” version of 2300AD (and now I have become pretty much assimilated to the GDW cannon) the only difference I ever did was boost Terran Australia’s population to a reasonable level of around 100 millions. This being pretty reasonable for one of the only places on Earth where you could actually have children with less than 2 heads during the first half of the 21st century. Plus of course be able to feed them… Its ludicrous beyond belief that irradiated starving hell holes like post Twilight War Europe and Manchuria suddenly have massive population bursts yet far less battered locales with actual access to resources like Australia and Canada have population declines. Even a cratered USA courtesy of the Strategic Rocket Forces would recover far quicker population wise that Europe because of its better access to natural resources.

Also I added Australian and American outposts along the trail to the Rimward Arm… and yes its called the “Rimward” arm not the “American Arm” like the “European Arm” and the “Coreward Arm” (aka French and Chinese Arm). Only an American writer could ever assume that a diverse group of nations on all three arms would agree to giving one nation exclusive naming rights. Plus there are lots of more of recently developed colony worlds – in the “Rimward Arm” for example no one has seeded a colony for 80 years? Even though there are a few empty worlds around the place.

I’ve worked on a 2300AD realism project as well. In which the only similarities to 2300AD is that is a few centuries after a apocalyptic world war and there are still different countries of humans trying to do different things. I also tried to have no pseudo-science so even though people re travelling through space at FTL speeds they do so in ways that don’t rely on made up science. Also when it comes to future history it isn’t just the 1980s with laser guns but as different to our time as the year 1704 is to now.

Year 300:

Join your comrades in Ausmil Spatial as they fight the evil forces of Skanefoder for control of the Inner Heavens mysteriously abandoned by the remains of the Chinese Empire. Or try to stop the jihad as the extremists of the Tree of Life Church attempt to annihilate the unfathomable Piedpensadoras.

My 2300AD was very much inspired by the original Asimov Robot trilogy. In which Earth was a giant covered and wasted planet. Whereas, the colony worlds have gained independence but stagnant.

There is a tension to make Interstellar Travel beyond the Arms happen but no power on Earth wants to defy the Spacers (the decendants of the Colonies) ban on Interstellar Travel. Secret organizations (Foundations) are being set up across the Solar System to secretly break the ban. But corrupt politicans and greedy corporations conspire with the police to keep the bulk of Earth population down.

However one man has struggled to give humanity hope and get them back to the Stars. This man was brutally murdered although popular belief is that he is roaming the Stars for new colonies in which to strike back.

Mine, pretty standard, except It's off the
US arm and I'm using it to run an Aliens
(from the films) scenario......I'm doing
this more as a means to get my local group
into 2300. From there I'll run the Kafer incursion next as it was and still is one of
my favorite Sci-fi settings.

My 2300AD game is pretty much the same minus the glaring historical deficiencies concerning the Twilight war. I pretty much run it in a very positive light with a social and political atmosphere similar to the early 1930s. There are still some messy places to adventure and enough war clouds are on the horizon for the doomsayers but humanity is generally happy and on the upswing; well, that is until the Cockroaches arrive ;)

My 2300 history isn’t very canon though.
There was no Twilight war but there was a period of conflict over the power vacuum left by the fall of the Soviet Union that lasted several generations. The United States prevailed, securing the dominate position. During this period the US gradually became a true empire with the rich and powerful openly rejecting the republic preferring aristocracy. PAX America then squashed any real major world advancement while maintaining corporate stability and profits.
When Stutterwarp opened the stars to humanity (2020), the US aristocracy makes a few half hearted attempts at exploration but deems it unprofitable and counter productive to interests. Exploration languished for years but a few fringe elements mostly the religious, philosophically inclined and the eccentric rich attempted expensive and limited colonization; many failed. As stutterwarp and space technology became cheaper, other elements and nations, lead by the EU and China, gained access to the stars (2050s) to bypass US terrestrial political and economic dominance.
The US eventually countered (2060s) but, poor choices in the colonization effort, bureaucratic infighting, corruption, terrible leadership and a few major naval defeats eventually guaranteed EU dominance. Probably the single greatest disaster for the US Empire came with the 2nd American civil war, Texas independence and Mexican intervention of 2099-2103.

The Texas war of independence
Today, many wrongly believe that Texas war of independence started about freedom for the common man. In fact it was mostly an old struggle for dominance by the power elite that got out of hand by 2099. The movement was somewhat fueled by a resurgent middleclass and desperate urban poor but only after being manipulated by political factions. Texas only gained independence because certain foreign interests occupied it in the name of humanitarian support for war refugees. Mexico even attempted to annex Texas at one point but that only resulted in its having its own revolution to deal with from 03 to 06.
During the 60’s the US invested great effort in marketing off world colonies to the poor and disenfranchised. Millions sought passage but few could afford it. Word also began to leak back that life on the colonies wasn’t all that good for newcomers either. Soon corporations lobbied for funds and a sort of indentured servitude began but during the 70’s, the corporations hungry for cheap labor then successfully lobbied the government to turn a blind eye to the outright forceful impressment of the poor and disenfranchised. By the 2080s the government was in on the act and vast numbers of unsavory types such as the poor, indebted, unstable, criminals, politically incorrect and aggressive were invited to be dumped unprepared onto unsuspecting colonies. Discontent grew and by 2097 riots and civil unrest became common.
Some of the aristocracy seeking an advantage fueled the unrest by attempting to gain popular support with empty promises of returning to the Constitutional glory days of the republic but the movement took a life of its own and full scale revolt occurred country wide by 2099. It took the aristocracy four years to beat back the revolution, almost winning but the Mexican and UN intervention secured Texas, parts of the South West, DM-3 1123, Rho Eridani and 82 Eridani independence by 2103. The American empire had totally collapsed leaving behind a 2nd, almost 3rd world power.

The Second Age of Exploration and the French Peace.
From 2096 to 2110, the US Empires power simply evaporated and soon fighting broke out among the other nations for the scraps. France and the EU gained dominance quickly but constant conflict and a series of violent uprisings against deportation laws similar to the US and the decline of representation world wide forced the enactment of laws restoring true representation and individual legal rights. By 2150 the resultant redistribution of wealth and power ignited tremendous prosperity world wide and millions began to immigrate to the stars.

Humanity 2295AD
Old habits die hard and humanity is back at it again with the various groups all vying for power and dominance but so far no one seems to have the advantage. France is on the wane resting on its laurels and many others are looking to fill the void while sporadic reports of a possible new alien race are coming in from Arcturus.

Please don’t be upset how I diss’d the US. My friends here (North Carolina) can’t stand France and I created my history just to bring that anti French sentiment to a boil. These guys are funny as hell when confronted by uppity French bureaucrats, snooty Francophiles and gendarmes. It’s almost an obsession with them. Often I’m laughing so hard I can’t run a serious game. ;)

Oh yeh, most of my influence came from Jerry Pournell’s Falkenburg and War world books.

Originally posted by egaroadkill:

Please don’t be upset how I diss’d the US. My friends here (North Carolina) can’t stand France and I created my history just to bring that anti French sentiment to a boil. These guys are funny as hell when confronted by uppity French bureaucrats, snooty Francophiles and gendarmes. It’s almost an obsession with them. Often I’m laughing so hard I can’t run a serious game. ;)
Think your guys are funny try running your game here in Texas..... ;) I do like what you've done here!

Originally posted by egaroadkill:

Oh yeh, most of my influence came from Jerry Pournell’s Falkenburg and War world books.
i thought it sounded familiar. got any future plans for 'Soldiers'?

Originally posted by ElHombre:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by egaroadkill:

i thought it sounded familiar. got any future plans for 'Soldiers'? </font>[/QUOTE]Soldiers? I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the movie Soldier or ideas from the books?

Currently working on the final touches of "My 2300, V2". So far:

+ No Ukraine. I want "Kommies im Weltall" so the UdSSR is back and red. Sorry Olexandre.

+ No "Adlerhorst Alliance". Backdoor is an Aussi/Ami conspiracy and a grave danger to humanity.

+ More outposts and a few more colonies.

+ More spacestations. Some are on/in asteroids. The outposts gets more alive

+ No independed Texas. The colonies go to another power that I want in space (i.e Italie/The Vatican)

+ A bit more "Pournelle" with a stronger "Soylent Green" element on Earth. Colonies are something you either escape to for a better life (i.e. Aurora, Beta Canum) or you're send to (i.e. King) BuReloc anyone. Btw the "Soldiers" that "Der Mann" refers too are genetically enhanced human warriors. You won't happen to have a writeup?

+ A bit more spacetravell.

+ Less war, more espionage.

Michael

Soldiers? I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the movie Soldier or ideas from the books? [/QB]
i was talking about the ones from the books. although the movie ones bring a few possibilities to mind. maybe a sort of Soldier, Mk 1?

+ No independed Texas. The colonies go to another power that I want in space (i.e Italie/The Vatican)

+ A bit more "Pournelle" with a stronger "Soylent Green" element on Earth. Colonies are something you either escape to for a better life (i.e. Aurora, Beta Canum) or you're send to (i.e. King) BuReloc anyone. Btw the "Soldiers" that "Der Mann" refers too are genetically enhanced human warriors. You won't happen to have a writeup?

Michael [/QB]
derr mann? oh wait! the man. that's me!

sorry, no writeup on my part. nd how could you do away with texas? shocked and insulted, i am! ;)

Originally posted by ElHombre:
I was talking about the ones from the books. although the movie ones bring a few possibilities to mind. maybe a sort of Soldier, Mk 1?
I see now. Yes, I'm using the sauron super soldiers, think Soldier Mk1, in my game but they are in early development and not a main plot thread...yet. I guess you could say that the Provolutionists havn't gotten organized to the level of Sparta yet. There is an lab here and there and they have begun to set up a proper, yet isolated colony just prior to the invasion.

One of the players is a Provo field experiment and dosn't know it yet; much like in the early Venus prime books. He's more of a XMk2

Back