• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 Only: Do you like T5?

Do You Like T5?

• Thumbs Up! I LOVE It!!! GREAT GAME!

Votes: 31 17.8%
  • It's OK. I have no strong feeling about it.

Votes: 43 24.7%
  • I'm disappointed in it--It needs a lot of work.

Votes: 58 33.3%
  • Thumbs Down! I HATE It!!! HORRIBLE GAME!

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have no direct knowledge of it.

Votes: 36 20.7%

• Total voters
My actual feelings about T5 didn't seem to fit anywhere in the poll. Now that I have it, and have been learning different sections bit by bit, I am both learning to love some of the innovations while at the same time grinding my teeth over errata.

"OK, no strong feelings" just did not express what I meant, so I went with "Love it!" instead. It has great potential as the best version yet of Traveller IFF Marc fixes first the errata, then some systems that may not be working as intended (if they work as he intended, but not as I like, I'll just pull in something from CT for those areas of disagreement, or houserule my own).

But yeah, trying to learn something this complicated with this much errata is an Imperial Pain in the Neck. :(

And the complaints I've been seeing revolve around three big issues: the task system, the absolute lack of examples, and the organization not making sense to people.

Yes, all that PLUS the errata. The fact that it's been 9 months now without an update to the errata isn't making me very happy either. It seems it's the same pattern as with previous editions, sadly.

Yes, all that PLUS the errata. The fact that it's been 9 months now without an update to the errata isn't making me very happy either. It seems it's the same pattern as with previous editions, sadly.

Essentially, it's Marc doing it all as one guy, with a little help from a few gamers. While holding down a day job in publishing, and doing voice work on the audiobook, and doing at least 3 philanthropic projects that I am aware of.

All of the above.

I'm stuck at v5.09 so I've not seen the updated version.
It's complex to the point of frustration.
Some of it needs work.
Some is OK.
Some of it is Great.

As a resource it is fantastic...it helps one fill in many gaps. The systems stuff clarifies a lot and cleans up some nasty holes in earlier versions. The Sense stuff is illuminating.

As a game, its hard to get into. So far, no-one I know has run a game using this as the basis. Some have used ideas from it in other versions (even other games) though.

I suspect, long term, it is less the "Number 1 for 26 weeks" and more "culturally influential".

I changed my vote from "I have no direct knowledge of it", as I now have both T5.09 and T5.1.

With respect to liking T5, I like it far better than MegaTraveller. I will not comment on The New Era, but as I find what few books I have on it, they go into the sale pile. T4 is so so, I do wish Marc had had an editor on that one, as it does have some good points. My main problem with T5 is that there is a lot of it that could have been left out without harming the book at all. It does make for a good tool box and source book for expansion of Classic, which I prefer.

It does represent what might be Marc's final concept of Traveller.

The poll is very old. Somebody should make a new one for 5.10. Maybe there is one already?

Anyway, I use parts of T5.10 to fill in gaps in Mongoose Traveller. Those parts I do like, obviously.

Other parts of T5.10 I read to get ideas. Whatever seems a bit much to do by hand, I'll write apps to do those things.

The poll is very old. Somebody should make a new one for 5.10. Maybe there is one already?

Anyway, I use parts of T5.10 to fill in gaps in Mongoose Traveller. Those parts I do like, obviously.

Other parts of T5.10 I read to get ideas. Whatever seems a bit much to do by hand, I'll write apps to do those things.

I've not seen one. Go ahead and start it.

Back