• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Economics of a Mercenary Campaign

I've kinda thought that the usual setup would be that Chartered Mercenary Units* would be established on worlds/systems likely to hire them regularly enough to make it pay. Probably Balaknized governments.

* As all such are, in MTU at least. If you don't have an Imperial Charter you're operating outside Imperial Law, and that is Not Good.

This would be the place to make money as Mercs. Every little flare up provides nearly instant employment, often for both sides* and the side with the most cash will probably "win" (depending on how many native assests they are willing to sacrifice). No need for interstellar transports, heck you probably don't even need your own troop transports. Just use local infrastructure much of the time. Charter or scheduled.

* Usually opponents would hire from different Units, but not always, it is a business and there are no bad customers if they can pay.

A close second choice setup would be a hub world in an unstable subsector, such as a border region. This would be the base of operations and with all the regular traffic* you are easy to reach and can get on site just as quickly, probably a two week turnaround from the time somebody decides to hire some mercs to them landing on the ground. This setup is where you'd find your typical Mercenary Cruisers though they'd often be as the lead force with other assets coming shortly after on commercial scheduled ships or charters.

* The encounter tables are not really a good indicator of the actual system traffic, at least not as a direct measure as you used it BTL
You need to think of it as 20% (or whatever) chance of another ship being there whenever a ship enters or leaves the system (the way I recall the table). That implies a lot of traffic. Nowhere near some of the figures often used imo (of thousands of ships or more daily) but much more than a slim chance of one ship. But that is another thread...

Of course the ideal place to open up shop as a Merc would combine the two. A nice hot Balkanized world in the center of a wild border zone.

In all these cases you'd only have one Merc outfit if it wasn't really paying the bills (and they'd leave soon too, one way or another). If there's a profit to made there'd be comeptition and rivals. Remember, real Mercs are in it for the profits, just like real Merchants.

Anywho, just my thoughts.

Originally posted by far-trader:
I've kinda thought that the usual setup would be that Chartered Mercenary Units* would be established on worlds/systems likely to hire them regularly enough to make it pay. Probably Balaknized governments.

This would be the place to make money as Mercs. Every little flare up provides nearly instant employment, often for both sides* and the side with the most cash will probably "win" (depending on how many native assests they are willing to sacrifice). No need for interstellar transports, heck you probably don't even need your own troop transports. Just use local infrastructure much of the time. Charter or scheduled.
Long running internal wars will eventually be won by one side or the other, or will destabilize the planet and/or incur such collateral damage to the point that Imperial intervention, or intervention and conquest from a nearby system is probable. Though EA7 (Merc Heaven) is an example of such a situation, even it isn't necessarily designed as a war that lasts years. Most canon tickets, to date, are short duration and one time deals on that particular planet. That tends to reflect the blowing off steam allowed flavor of the Imperium. Further these brushfire short duration wars are likely to occur anywhere in the Imperium, not just border or frontier areas.

* As all such are, in MTU at least. If you don't have an Imperial Charter you're operating outside Imperial Law, and that is Not Good.
Absolutely. No question here. I have gone so far as to set up rules for gaining an Imperial Charter for a Mercenary Unit and restrictions that may or may not come with the Charter.

* Usually opponents would hire from different Units, but not always, it is a business and there are no bad customers if they can pay.

A close second choice setup would be a hub world in an unstable subsector, such as a border region. This would be the base of operations and with all the regular traffic* you are easy to reach and can get on site just as quickly, probably a two week turnaround from the time somebody decides to hire some mercs to them landing on the ground. This setup is where you'd find your typical Mercenary Cruisers though they'd often be as the lead force with other assets coming shortly after on commercial scheduled ships or charters.
I think that a hub world would be the best point of contact for a Merc Unit. And their regular base of operations. That doesn't mean that the Unit will be there, but it is where they can be contacted.

* The encounter tables are not really a good indicator of the actual system traffic, at least not as a direct measure as you used it BTL
You need to think of it as 20% (or whatever) chance of another ship being there whenever a ship enters or leaves the system (the way I recall the table). That implies a lot of traffic. Nowhere near some of the figures often used imo (of thousands of ships or more daily) but much more than a slim chance of one ship. But that is another thread...
Actually it has bearing in this thread as well. If the encounter tables are not an indication of traffic level and types of ships likely to be encountered then what should be used? I am not saying they are the best choice to find an appropiate ship, but there lacks an alternative rule in the books. (Unless there is something in GURPS, which is definitely not OTU for trade.) But even if traffic is higher, finding the right capacity available, headed in the right direction, is still going to be a major problem for any unit above Platoon level. Especially if the unit is not at a transportation hub. Even at a transportation hub this isn't as simple as buying 150 airline tickets. None of the Standard designs, which IMTU equates to the most common ships in space, have the kind of capacity that you need to move a Mercenary company. Especially if the company is something like a Lift Infantry Company or equivalent to a current US Cavalry Troop.

Of course the ideal place to open up shop as a Merc would combine the two. A nice hot Balkanized world in the center of a wild border zone.
Actually just a high traffic high population piece of the Imperium would be fine. Especially if you have J3 transports available.

In all these cases you'd only have one Merc outfit if it wasn't really paying the bills (and they'd leave soon too, one way or another). If there's a profit to made there'd be comeptition and rivals. Remember, real Mercs are in it for the profits, just like real Merchants.

Anywho, just my thoughts.
They are good thoughts. While sending an advance party to get the actual situation on the ground conduct final negotiations for the ticket and hash out the details before the main body arrives is an interesting idea, committing something as small as a company piecemeal is not a good idea.

BTL: A company isn't a line infantry unit... it's part of one.

The costs of moving a company by integral transport arm exceed the value of hiring out a subbie and using "SR Pallets" (A stateroom in a 4Td cargo box) to double occ them.

I can see the SR Pallets as unit equipment (instant field HQ). I can't see the ship for a line infantry role, where expected formations are in regiments, and durations of deployment are likely to be months at a time in situ.

And there ARE exceptions for non-line infantry. Elite units. Spec-Ops. Rapid Deployment Forces.

Let's see, at 180+Td (rules version dependent), a Type R can mount your 60 Td of cargo, and 120Td of assorted SR pallets. Enlisted in 4Td bunkrooms (4 man bays), NCO's in 4Td SR's (DO)
Line them up, so the aisle is open down them, and do PT running through the central aisles.
Officers might have personal ones.

Low berth modules might also be used.

Heck, I can see 8-man 4TD "half-bunk bunkrooms"; a sqaud box!

Originally posted by Aramis:
BTL: A company isn't a line infantry unit... it's part of one.

The costs of moving a company by integral transport arm exceed the value of hiring out a subbie and using "SR Pallets" (A stateroom in a 4Td cargo box) to double occ them.

I can see the SR Pallets as unit equipment (instant field HQ). I can't see the ship for a line infantry role, where expected formations are in regiments, and durations of deployment are likely to be months at a time in situ.

And there ARE exceptions for non-line infantry. Elite units. Spec-Ops. Rapid Deployment Forces.

Let's see, at 180+Td (rules version dependent), a Type R can mount your 60 Td of cargo, and 120Td of assorted SR pallets. Enlisted in 4Td bunkrooms (4 man bays), NCO's in 4Td SR's (DO)
Line them up, so the aisle is open down them, and do PT running through the central aisles.
Officers might have personal ones.

Low berth modules might also be used.

Heck, I can see 8-man 4TD "half-bunk bunkrooms"; a sqaud box!
Line Units definition depend on what you are talking about. A Line Unit is a combat unit, as opposed to a rear echelon unit. Now in current parlance the smallest unit that is designed for extended operations is a Brigade. (Which is the nominal difference between a Brigade and a Regiment.) But any front line combat unit can be referred to as a line unit.

Now something of note is that More than 75% of canon Mercenary tickets are Platoon to Company Tickets. Roughly half of all canon tickets are Platoon Tickets.

As for transport using containers. They are not quite as expensive as buying a ship, but if you add paying for the charters to move these containers, you might as well buy the ship. For moving a Company using the containers you need in excess of 200 tons of containers plus unit equipment. Still going to require a minimum of two Sub Liners. You are also going to have to hire a ship with the connections for the containers, or for additional low berths. (Or do you believe that low berths or living modules are totally self contained?)

In either case inherent transport, in the long run is a better investment. Especially if that inherent transport, doubles as the Unit's Courier, and supply vessel. A Platoon or Company can't sustain itself in the field for long periods, and in most cases the unit will be equipped to a higher TL than can be supported on the world so major equipment repair and ammunition resupply will have to come from elsewhere. Further if the model I discussed earlier about maintaining comms at the nearest Communication Hub, (Which within the Imperium, most systems are within 3 parsecs of an X-Boat route.) while the unit is in the field this also makes sense.

Multiple Ships for a Company makes further sense as the unit can then hire out seperate platoons, when the Company can't be hired out as single Unit.

Also, like I said earlier, while low berths may be more economical, they might be viewed as bad for morale. After all Low Berths are how a unit travels on Repatriation Bonds or for losers.

Aramis, I like your SD pallets. I can't believe I've never thought of them. I think their modular nature would make them more than the standard 4dt though, and as BTL suggests, they may need their own hook-ups and plumbing extensions. Personally, I'd make them 6dt.
Apologies for going off-topic guys, just thinking aloud here.

A Couple of other points. How is 4DTons enough for 8 guys? Wouldn't that be more like 16 DTons for 8 guys?

Second is that a Type R is only Jump-1. Very slow moving and making many places inaccessable. (And you still need two of them to move a Company.)

Since those modules are for Mercenaries how about this:

The quarter modules come in standard 4dt containers (IIRC the biggest standard size in GT) that can be lashed down in a standard cargo hold. To build a quarter for a platoon (48) soldiers one needs:

+ 5 Quarters containers each with an 8 person bunkroom

+ 1 Life support unit that is hooked up to the ships life support and supplements it. The module is not a full life support unit and on the ground only acts as a heater/air filter system

+ 1 Sanitation module with showers etc

+ 1 Galley module with food storage/preparation

+ 2 Connection module (Airlock, passageway)

for a total of 40dt minimum per platoon.

Most troops in for a longer stay (more than 2 weeks) tend to add more quarter modules. A typical setup is

+ 10 quarter modules
+ 1 Life support module
+ 1 Sanitation module
+ 1 Galley module
+ 1 Gym-Module (Weigtmaschines etc)
+ 3 Connection modules

for 68dt per platoon.

The modules can be unloaded and with the addition of a power plant module used as a base on planets with a breathable (tainted is acceptable) athmosphere. The connection modules are optional but proper empty space between the containers must be provided and steps/ladders are necessary for entry.

Each container-module has door/connection points at the short ends, the connection modules have two doors on each long end, one door on one short end and a small airlock on the other.

Alternate modules exist like:

+ Power generation module

Either a small fusion reactor, Radio-Thermal Generator or classic turbine generator. One is enough per 20-50 containers depending on type

+ Weapons storage/maintenance

Stronger walls and only one door module

+ Command Module

Used as a small command center or radio room

+ Medic module

A mobile MASH in a box. Enough space for two operating tables and some medical stores

BGG:

I agree that the type R is likely the least useful ship as a merc transporter. The most useful of the "original" crafts would IMHO be a 600dt Type M with it's high jump. Put the officers in the cabins, fill the (still sizeable) hold with troops. You still need two but there are few places you can't go. Wealth Mercs can try to hire an Imperialines 2000dt J2 frighter.

From the T20 crafts the "Lorimar" class sounds like a useful craft to charter.

One issue about the Type M. They are called Subsidized Liners for a reason. They can't make a profit under the standard rules so need a subsidy for at least the first 40 years. If a ship is Subsidized then it is following a route and will not be available for charter. Now a Merc Unit could buy Type M ships, and it may make sense for them to do so, but finding one going the right way and available is another story. Further getting from the ship to the surface if you are using Type-M ships is another issue. (As they are not streamlined, or at best partially streamlined and only have a launch as small craft.)

Originally posted by BetterThanLife:
One issue about the Type M. They are called Subsidized Liners for a reason. They can't make a profit under the standard rules so need a subsidy for at least the first 40 years. If a ship is Subsidized then it is following a route and will not be available for charter.
Ofcourse, a polity might subsidize merc units under certain conditions.

One issue about the Type M. They are called Subsidized Liners for a reason. They can't make a profit under the standard rules so need a subsidy for at least the first 40 years. If a ship is Subsidized then it is following a route and will not be available for charter.
Ofcourse, a polity might subsidize merc units under certain conditions.

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BetterThanLife:
Ofcourse, a polity might subsidize merc units under certain conditions. </font>[/QUOTE]Absolutely. Though in this case are they also subsidizing the Inherent Transport?

Further a Polity that has Subsidized ships might send them to go collect the Mercenary unit. (Though that doubles the time required to get the unit on the ground and actually earning their pay.)

I agree, the Type M has the same basic problem as the Typ R, it needs the subsidize to be paid off. But after that the ship is on the market and can be used as a free ship.

Since the Typ M is a TTL12 or TTL 13 craft, it should be very common by now and it is quite likely the base of many variants (a cargo hauler being the first that comes to mind). So there should be quite a few "free" Typ M around.

As for "getting the troops down" that can be a problem. Some Typ M can land (the MT variant IIRC) some can not. Does anyone know if the Admiral Bertili / Vigilanti conversion is pre- or post Rebellion?

Originally posted by Michael Brinkhues:
I agree, the Type M has the same basic problem as the Typ R, it needs the subsidize to be paid off. But after that the ship is on the market and can be used as a free ship.

Since the Typ M is a TTL12 or TTL 13 craft, it should be very common by now and it is quite likely the base of many variants (a cargo hauler being the first that comes to mind). So there should be quite a few "free" Typ M around.

As for "getting the troops down" that can be a problem. Some Typ M can land (the MT variant IIRC) some can not. Does anyone know if the Admiral Bertili / Vigilanti conversion is pre- or post Rebellion?
Actually a Type R can make a profit under the standard haul freight and passenger model. Most Jump-1 merchants, that are actually designed as merchants as their primary purpose, can.

Type M Mercenary Variants should be easy enough to convert. I even saw a Type A2 Mercenary variant once. The Type P is explained away in T20, not sure about other Traveller rulesets, though definitely not in CT, as a 400 Ton Mercenary transport.
But if the ship is converted then it isn't a standard ship that the Mercenary unit on the ground can flag down for a lift.

So with or without the Inherent transport, is my formula for calculating Mercenary unit expenses a good estimate? Does anyone have a different idea?

Use 10% of equipment cost per year (maintenance, combat losses and ammo), minus organic starships unless the starship was expected to take an active role in the unit's missions, plus salaries x2, (Have to account for bonuses.) plus 20% of personal equipment cost (to amortize over 5 years), plus 10% of major equipment cost (to amortize over 10 years), plus organic starship (if any) mortgage cost, plus organic starship (again if any) maintenance, per year.

I would add a certain amount (between 0.5 and 2 percent) "risk insurance" for any organic starship even if it is just a transport. The enemy might want to kill off your resupply craft and attack it anyway.

Originally posted by Michael Brinkhues:
I would add a certain amount (between 0.5 and 2 percent) "risk insurance" for any organic starship even if it is just a transport. The enemy might want to kill off your resupply craft and attack it anyway.
Or perhaps amortize it over a shorter period. (This way if it does get taken out you can afford to replace it sooner.)

This is a good topic. Mercenary campaigns are ones I have enjoyed the most in Traveller. I have liked company to battalion sized units, because it combines my hobby of wargaming with Traveller.

In thinking about the general low tech level of many worlds, I can see the desire of nations on those worlds or companies/interests from outside those worlds wanting to hire a higher tech (TL12+) experienced unit and pay top money for it. Every military commander wants a sure victory and having a higher tech experienced and sizeable unit will help a long way towards it. Winning a war quickly will save more money. A merc unit can help to get a quck victory. I can see a company sized TL 12 unit getting at least MCr100+ a year for extended campaigns, or a quick MCr10+ for a month long mission.

So with or without the Inherent transport, is my formula for calculating Mercenary unit expenses a good estimate? Does anyone have a different idea?
You might want to consider the effect of discount pricing on your amortization rates (Book 4, page 43)

As an aside, has anyone considered doping the troops with fast drug and stacking them on cots like cordwood? You could probably get 20 or 30 troops in a single stateroom.

Has anyone considered the RW model of Merc Units "Executive Outcomes" that was used in RW Africa.

From what little I have been able to read about them, they made a profit, and did quite well as a merc unit also.

Also if it was possible the "Merc Units" being used in Iraq now by the various Governments and Corps could be used too.

Back