• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Empire of Solee: Strawman, menace, or rival power

Your scenario sounds pretty likely: especially the Darrians (or it may simply be that I'd like them to do something with themselves.) I sort of picture the Sword Worlders eventually joining the Regency and serving like the Highland regiments did in the British empire: great but grudging fighters. I really hope MJD keeps the regency intact for the most part. It seems likely that if the Regency got wind of a (legitimate) Fourth Imperium forming they'd want to join so they could be a strong voice in things to come. Imagine how happy the 4I would be to get those Jumpstart locations and have a ready-made TL15 fleet to call on.

Originally posted by Arsulon:
Your scenario sounds pretty likely: especially the Darrians (or it may simply be that I'd like them to do something with themselves.) I sort of picture the Sword Worlders eventually joining the Regency and serving like the Highland regiments did in the British empire: great but grudging fighters. I really hope MJD keeps the regency intact for the most part. It seems likely that if the Regency got wind of a (legitimate) Fourth Imperium forming they'd want to join so they could be a strong voice in things to come. Imagine how happy the 4I would be to get those Jumpstart locations and have a ready-made TL15 fleet to call on.
Another possibility is that the two don't get along. Either it's a conflict of leaders or the ideologies just don't gel right. Maybe the 4I is looking towards a guild/aristocracy/corporate model that doesn't work with the representative structure the Regency embraces. Also the Regency can face opposition and jealousy from the Wilds PEs because they survived the Collapse and Virus.

You quite right about the TL15 fleet. Both the Regency and caches supply them. The Regency also has access to early TL16 from the Daryens and tech uplift. So they are definitely a force to ally or fear.

Despite making what could be construed as anti-Regency comments, I really do hope the Regency gets a direct successor state.

MJD has made it clear that the Regency will not survive.

Since that is apparently the case, I really hope that we can still get a stable, 2-3 subsector PE called the "Republic of Regina" or some such that directly carries the ideals of the Regency forward.

If allowed to happen, it could end up with the really good role of mediator between the reconstituted Zhodani Consulate and the 4I, since it is effectively a merging of the two cultures.

Going back to the Guild and free trade and slavery/commercial immorality. I suggested the Guild might become an imperial presence not through their intentional efforts but, rather like the English East India Company in India, by being the wealthiest/most powerful force to fill the void of collapsing TEDs.

As to conscience - I am happy that Craig of Warinir is the basis for the new Imperium. But let me talk of one of my real life heroes: Lord Mansfield LC, the English judge who during the course of his life synthesised the medieval law merchant into what is recognisably the commercial law of the English speaking world (which given the economic dominance of the UK and then the USA means the world!) and also abolished slavery in England. Who says commerce can't have a conscience.

I realise that we are in the realm of heresies (so burn me, oh orthodox ones) but I hope they are fruitful.

'THE AIR OF ENGLAND IS TOO PURE FOR A SLAVE TO BREATH' - Lord Mansfield LC

Regency Breakup - hmmh

I confess a bias to the marches and the regency but if they have to go I shall mourn their passing.

Hopefully it will be a peacefull breakup and not another civil war.

I can see the various sworld worlders / federation of arden type spliting off no problem.

But compared to the average PE, the regency is incomparably vast and mighty. It will be a significant player in thw exploration / black curtain wars for all the reasons given - tech, jumpstart, fleet, resources etc.

I can see a large balck curtain war being a large drain on regency resources but not a fatal one, and I imagine they will be a big player in the formation of the 4th Imperium.

But with the strain of the war + supplying the reclaiming of the extents / hierate / consulate, and the turining of the regency governments attention to the old imperial core (war and later 4th imperium) will cause mild disastifaction back in the marches. And given the democratic reforms if a planet or group of planets starts to loosen the old imperial ties to concentrate on local issues, then how will the regency government.

I can see groups of worlds gradually slipping away to form their own federations / trade co-operatives etc. But they will still be Regency in character, and friendly with their neighbours / the general regency.

Invention of a TL16 FTL radio as per manifest destiny would aid this progress.

Hows that sound

Cheers
Richard

Originally posted by Elliot:
Going back to the Guild and free trade and slavery/commercial immorality. I suggested the Guild might become an imperial presence not through their intentional efforts but, rather like the English East India Company in India, by being the wealthiest/most powerful force to fill the void of collapsing TEDs.

As to conscience - I am happy that Craig of Warinir is the basis for the new Imperium. But let me talk of one of my real life heroes: Lord Mansfield LC, the English judge who during the course of his life synthesised the medieval law merchant into what is recognisably the commercial law of the English speaking world (which given the economic dominance of the UK and then the USA means the world!) and also abolished slavery in England. Who says commerce can't have a conscience.

I realise that we are in the realm of heresies (so burn me, oh orthodox ones) but I hope they are fruitful.

'THE AIR OF ENGLAND IS TOO PURE FOR A SLAVE TO BREATH' - Lord Mansfield LC

Originally posted by RichardP:
Regency Breakup - hmmh

I confess a bias to the marches and the regency but if they have to go I shall mourn their passing.

Hopefully it will be a peacefull breakup and not another civil war.

I can see the various sworld worlders / federation of arden type spliting off no problem.

But compared to the average PE, the regency is incomparably vast and mighty. It will be a significant player in thw exploration / black curtain wars for all the reasons given - tech, jumpstart, fleet, resources etc.

I can see a large balck curtain war being a large drain on regency resources but not a fatal one, and I imagine they will be a big player in the formation of the 4th Imperium.

But with the strain of the war + supplying the reclaiming of the extents / hierate / consulate, and the turining of the regency governments attention to the old imperial core (war and later 4th imperium) will cause mild disastifaction back in the marches. And given the democratic reforms if a planet or group of planets starts to loosen the old imperial ties to concentrate on local issues, then how will the regency government.

I can see groups of worlds gradually slipping away to form their own federations / trade co-operatives etc. But they will still be Regency in character, and friendly with their neighbours / the general regency.

Invention of a TL16 FTL radio as per manifest destiny would aid this progress.

Hows that sound

Cheers
Richard

Thats something that whose time inSciFi needs be done up, an FTL communications system (beyond J-6 X-tra xpress boats!). Though thtas a tpic for another post. (ANd more thought out that Star Trek's version of such a thing-"Subspace"). BUT TL-16+ is a good place for it.

Back