• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Favorite Traveller Artists

Didn't Caswell do a lot of work on the MT Journal magazine? If that is the same person, he is good.

Another artist also did stuff for MT Journal. I cannot remember his name, but he did do alot of the artwork for MT Journal that had the adventure 'Rapid Repo'.

Originally posted by jackleg:
Didn't Caswell do a lot of work on the MT Journal magazine? If that is the same person, he is good.

Another artist also did stuff for MT Journal. I cannot remember his name, but he did do alot of the artwork for MT Journal that had the adventure 'Rapid Repo'.
Rob edited MT Journal for issues 1 - 3. And it was Blair Reynolds I believe you're thinking of. He was excellent with people (and Vargr).

I've always been a fan of Janet Aulisio's work. But I connect with stippling and crosshatching

personally, a favorite of mine was always Craig Farley, who also did a fair amount of work for 2300 AD as well, both interiors as well as covers. Rob Caswell was always a favorite as well as Blair reynolds, all three artists I'd love to see more of.

David Mattingly did a nice cover for the T20 Book, too.

My favourite cover on a Traveller product to date has to be the GT: Starports cover. Something about that cover just screams Traveller to me (dunno what).

Shane

Maybe, we now should move on to the topic, at hand. What sort of art for T20/M:1248?

They should naturally be related to one another in theme. As M:1248 grows out of the experience of T20 and the virus simply is not building or innovating and creating new Starships, save in the Rim.

At the same time, there is a definite Darker almost medievel crusade feel to the expansion efforts of the various new powers of the M:1248 combined with a ragtag element who are basically in it to survive and prosper.

Certain artists in the Traveller universe have captured these moments perfectly (I have recorded my thoughts elsewhere and been shouted down for them, so I will not elabourate) and others less so.

Having only the first book of the reprints of T2000, Liz Danforth seems to have captured the despiration but not the hope that this milieu is meant to capture. But, an artist who can capture shading techniques like hers would be a likely candidate. The freestyle and sense of adventure that things like First-In or the Rebellion Sourcebook capture would also be great. Therefore, I think we want to Realism in the characters protrayed in the OTU. Therefore, people like Blair Reynolds, do indeed, spring to mind for both milieus.

But, we also need to feel that the characters are complementing the text and give a storyline. Therefore, the work that David Matting did for the T20 cover was brilliant in capturing two stories of rescue & escape.

The Family Friendly clause of MWM & OGL make art that is horrifing or sexist impossible but I think people want to see the human/alien form in its glory. Therefore, certain covers of Challenge magazine highlight a sense of horror & beauty without crossing the boundaries of "community" taste.

Older Traveller players can remember or possess the art from earlier epochs and therefore may wish to see vestiges of those time periods. Having the "art gallery" on FFE site & T20 goes a long way of introducing the newbies to the game. Keeping this art current and possibly changing would allow consumers get a sense of what to expect...And, maybe, a chance to vote before the art is commissioned...or I am just too naive.

Art is an integral part of the story of Traveller and we would be wise to also look at marketing trends such as the ever popularity of graphic novels, to realize that our hobby needs a fresh look. Traveller in the form of T20 & M:1248 is that fresh look, until or after T5 comes on the market.

Originally posted by ACK:
Hmmmph.

Isn't odd how people's perceptions of art work?

I did NOT like Chriss Foss's work on T4 for precisely the same reason that you liked it. I did not think the style fit the gritty dark nature of the era. It was so colorful and almost gaudy in that sense.

You might not like TNE (I did not) or the art (once again...) but it fit the mood of the game very well. I always though in terms of the Ted Lindsey textured pictures or robject's T5 cover mock up when I think of T4's mileu. It has that out in space exploration regaining the cosmo feel. Mileu 0's cover almost worked in that regard but it captured to mood and not the eye. It fit but was not the best choice for a cover IMHO.

Like I said though it is odd how people perceive these things differently.

K. Webb a saint of a man sent me his extra copy of Megatraveller rules. Yes, a cool thing indeed. I am going to run with the rules for MT in my upcoming (if it ever frickin' happens) chat campaign. Starting out after the Fifth Frontier War I might even take up through part of the Rebellion depending on how long the game lasts.

Danforth's portraits are great. Bryan Gibson's work was wonderful. The stuff ripped straight from CT was fine as well. However, I am beginning to understand better now the arguements against the MT style artwork. The full pages of line art was too much in the Rebellion Sourcebook. There is this sketch of a hiver in the Encyclopedia that is completely unfinished it is not even funny. It almost screams of a symbol for the whole book considering the errata needed to complete the book.

_
Funny, ACK, we can agree and disagree , at the same time...

I would have not protrayed T4 as a Dark Milieu. Troubling, uncertain and at any moment the project building the 3I could be snuffed out and the future as we know it could vanish.

But, gaudy and light (but I think we can agree Space ought not be painted blue) that was the milieu. I see Milieu 0, as a time when a thousand Pocket Empires are beginning to consolidate their expansion but only one - that of the Sylvean Federation actually having the vision and the technology to actually begin the ardious process of Empire building.

The rest were like the Pocket Empires in TNE, TEDs who were more interested in keeping old Starships going in order to maintain domanance. Therefore,the gaudy starships do that job perfectly as relics of the ROM when Terrans were so cocky, anyhow...

Originally posted By Kafka47:

Maybe, we now should move on to the topic, at hand. What sort of art for T20/M:1248?

Is this the topic at hand? looks like the topic for a new thread to me!

if one such is opened, I think you have some good points, but those are points of style and not necessarily individual artists.....

It is up to you Bryan...

But I think one can talk about their favorite artists and what type of art they would like to see in T20/M:1248, as a way of helping to inspire the choices in art direction for the future line.

In keeping with the favorite artists, some of which I named above, it would also be nice to see, if some of the German Traveller covers could grace T20 pages...

It is up to you Bryan...

Not really, I simply wished to point out thats a very good venue, and another topic for a thread, although not necessarily one I have a great interest in ( not a huge fan or TNE, personally...rather grim to my taste)

But I think one can talk about their favorite artists and what type of art they would like to see in T20/M:1248, as a way of helping to inspire the choices in art direction for the future line.

No arguement there, again, I just think thats best put forth on a another thread, if one chooses to specify the thrust of the discussion in that direction. And a good topic, too, with the upcoming release immenent.

In keeping with the favorite artists, some of which I named above, it would also be nice to see, if some of the German Traveller covers could grace T20 pages...

agreed! Having seen some of those covers, and they were excellent, it seems a pity so few outside of Europe ever encountered them.

Bryan Gibson, and I'm not just saying that because he's my GM. ;) I love his mechanical drawings and character sketchs.

There is a picture in the T20 Handbook called "Troops Over Malusi Gii" that is my all time fav. I would kill for a color print of that piece.

I've always been partial to Tom Peter's work. Partly because I've seen pieces in various stages of development and can appreciate how much time, labor and love of detail went into the finished product. But also cause, well, no one loooooves a System Defense Boat like the Tomster!

Back