• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Firefly

jwdh71: While I do believe you have the right to defend something you like, I also believe others have the right to criticise something they don't like. It's called freedom of speech. That's one of the rights everyone has here in the United States, where you live.

You are certainly entitled to disagree with someone else's criticism of "Firefly," and to let them know you disagree, and why. But they also have the right to disagree with you, and to express that disagreement.

I notice that this is your first post on these boards. Welcome aboard, we're glad to have anyone who enjoys RPGs, especially Traveller. But if you look around at some of the other threads on this board, it should quickly become apparent that the sort of flamewars and petty arguments that exist on many Internet message boards does not go on here. People express their opinions, to be sure -- and sometimes quite vehemently. But it never gets personal, and shouldn't. And as long as your posts aren't filled with expletives, and aren't offensive or disruptive to other posters, no one will tell you what you can and cannot say. So please don't tell someone else what they can and cannot say.

I read his post, too, PJ and I'm still trying to figure out how it elicited your response. Seemed pretty level-headed and uninflamitory. His expressed opinion that he thinks alot of the critisisms in this particular thread seem too easily arrived at and nitpicky doesn't equate to his telling others not to express them or attacking their character.

And this post of mine telling you I don't think your critisism of his post makes sense doesn't mean I want you to not ever express your point of view or that I'm calling you a poo-poo head. Just that I think what you posted was actually unneccesary.

But that's my opinion ... protected by the constitution of the United States of America. ;)

p.s. PJ, I think this fellow's been here awhile ... this just happens to be his first post. Hid CID is actually older than yours. Just sayin.
file_22.gif

:confused: Now I'm really lost. My first read of jwdh71 above hit the same button (I think) that got PJ going. Then your reply FLS made me reread both, a couple times, wondering if I was missing something, hence my confusion.

Anyway, for me (and presumably PJ, I may be wrong) it was the "... but that does not give anyone the right to badmouth... " line that came across a bit heavy. I think PJ was just trying to cut a fire-break before things got too hot, not intending to imply (and I didn't read it that way) that jwdh71 was starting any flame war, and PJ was certainly not trying to incite one. So, except for that one bit, I agree with you FLS, which probably makes this post quite unnecessary too ;)

Well, since I'm up here on my soapbox anyway let me add, I do believe the right to criticize (badmouth) comes with the responsibility to, or at least attempt to, be constructive in so doing. In this case my constructive contribution is unlikely to find it's way to the writer I'm criticizing so it may be for naught, except to contribute to the discussion in a way that may enlighten others (future writers and or viewers). Don't get me wrong, the show's writing has improved and I am a fan again. I agree (and said as much I think) that writing is not easy but in my major beef I did offer a (IMO) far superior bit of writing to correct the problem, and it was easy (for that small part). Could I write the same quality through a full show, week after week? Modesty humbly says no (but ego is screaming yes,
file_21.gif
, I don't listen to him much :rolleyes: nothing but trouble that one).

Hopefully the show will come off hiatus this week, though with all the Chrismas 'specials' who knows, and any more posting on this topic can get back to the fun stuff,
file_22.gif
you know, nit-picking
file_23.gif
;)

p. s. Oh right, forgot to add my own welcome to ex-lurker jwdh71. So... Welcome! The first post is the hardest (well, for some) and this is in my experience one of the friendliest boards around, so post away!

Yeah, the problem I had was with the one line about "no one has the right to badmouth." I had no problem with anything else he posted.

The rest of my post was, as someone else stated, a pre-emptive attempt to stop a flamewar before it started. Sorry it sounded so heavy-handed. That's one thing I dislike about Internet message boards; even with the smilies, it's often hard to judge a person's intent or full meaning based solely on their words. Body language helps put so much into context. I deal with this in my job a lot. As a journalist, you quickly learn it's better -- if possible -- to conduct an interview face to face rather than on the telephone because you are better able to read the subject.

So I hope there are no hard feelings over what I posted. I was just trying to be helpful, and probably failed miserably. But I must add that I do appreciate the non-flaming nature of these boards; I find them to be unique in my Internet wanderings, and it makes coming here very enjoyable.

Yer right ... hard ta read people online until ya've interacted with them enough to kinda "know" em. My bad. And no ... no hard feelin's at all `bout it.

Next episode is entitled "War Stories" so I assume it'll focus mostly on Mal and Zoe and maybe feature alot of flashbacks to the war. I really wanna watch this one since I'd like to flesh out the background of the show more.

Originally posted by VorpalBunny:
OK... just saw the scene in tonight's ep w/ Inara and the Councilor. Firefly just became my favorite show. Ever.
file_23.gif
Oh yes. Yum Yum!
file_23.gif
:D :cool:

Though rest of the episode is definitely the most violent.

I liked tonight's episode.

Lots of action, done rather well. I liked the snatch team, and the way the crew assaulted the station. Generally a good use of cover, and supporting fires. I do wonder why Jayne went to the pistol instead of changing mags.

Favorite moments:
The Shepherd (talking about the biblical prohibition on killing) "It is somewhat vague on kneecaps, though."

(When Simon talks about never having killed a man before) "I was there, son. Don't worry, I am sure you still haven't."

And River firing blind, and scoring three for three.

Whoa! What an episode! :D
As soon as I saw that "Violent Content/Viewer Discretion Advised" warning I thought 'Hoody-Hoo!'
file_23.gif

Okay Inara and Councilor: Yummy!
file_23.gif

The clues that Shepherd Book is more than just a man of the cloth: Cool! :cool:

What a sick, evil, demented, twisted and marvelous villian Nishka can be: Heh-Heh-Heh.
file_23.gif

Oh and the psionic enhanced blind shooting feat plus 3 Nat-20's for River: Spooky! :eek:

The more I see this show the more I hope it stays on the air.

Be careful out there!
Big Mike

Hehe ... yep - was FF night for me. Been posting on the FF Fox boards. Of course ... shoulda been obvious - ain't been postin here much tnight (this morn) ;)

The said new I have is from my Fox sales rep.
he has said that Fox only has purchased 2 more episodes. After that the show goes on hiatus.
The store has cursed another good show, damnit.

Originally posted by lord irial:
Here's a link for a "Save Firefly" online petition, for those who want to save the show. I'm there!

Save Firefly
That's very nice and all, but online petitions mean exactly nothing to the people who actually run the networks. Due to the ease and anonymity of online communications, network management simply ignore email and online petitions as being too simple for a few fanatics to fix.

If you wish to have any sort of impression on the people who buy and cancel tv shows, you need to actually write a real honest-to-goodness dead-tree letter and send it by snail mail. The ratio varies from network to network, but the powers-that-be consider every letter received for a show as being roughly equal to 100 people who like and watch the show, but didn't get around to actually writing. They tend to consider letters receiver against a show as being about 1 for 20, due to critics being more vocal. (When things are good, most people will just sit back and enjoy it, with few writing in; when things are bad, more people will tend to complain, loudly.)

So write letters to:

Fox Broadcasting Company
Sandy Grushow, Chairman, Fox Entertainment Group
10201 West Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90035

And remember to actually sign your name, not just have it printed on the letter.

Simon Jester
file_23.gif

I just signed the online petition, but I plan on writing and sending a physical letter as well.

They'll respond better to receiving bins full of mail than they will a single petition. If we bury them in postal deliveries they can't ignore it as easily.

For what it's worth I sent a letter via snail mail, and I asked my circle of friends to do likewise. It only cost the price of a stamp. at worst it will have no effect, at best it will save a quality show.

Rover

Originally posted by Tom Schoene:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tort518:
If we bury them in postal deliveries they can't ignore it as easily.
Sure they can. The only mail they'll be paying attention to are the checks from their advertisers.</font>[/QUOTE]It's because of their advertisers that they will be interested in how many letters they receive for each show. If the network can point to a bigger pile of letters than their advertisers expect to show how many people watch a specific show, they can up the price of advertising.

Everybody wins - we get to watch a great show, the advertisers get people to watch their ads and possibly buy their products, and the network gets paid money by the advertisers to buy more episodes of the great show we like to watch. Write letters.

Simon Jester
file_23.gif

Back