• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fixing Book 2 Starship Economics Redux

tbeard1999

SOC-14 1K
Further progress on the revised starship economics…

NOTE: Updated to assume 20 days of holidays per standard year.

First, scratch all numbers in the previous post.

Assumptions:

- Each month is 30 days. A year is 12 months, plus a 5 day holiday at year end.

-A starship operates for 11 1/2 months. The remaining 1/2 month, (plus the holiday days) is used for maintenance, vacation, etc. In that 1/2 month, the only expenses are crew salaries and bank note payment. "End Month" will mean the month in which only 15 days are used for operations.

- 2 jumps per month for 11 1/2 months (25 jumps per year)

- Annual maintenance expenses amortized monthly

- Buying refined fuel

- Full load of middle and low passengers

- Full crew with 1 stateroom each, crewmen are also gunners, at no additional salary. Full salaries paid.

- Book 2 Free Trader and the Supp 7 Far Trader (I assumed it was a standard design and got the 10% discount). Re-ran the numbers on the Far Trader and found that Supp 7 had it significantly overpriced.

-Ship loses 10% of value per decade (per the depreciation suggested by book 2). This will change in my new system below.

-All calculations based on “new cost” use the new cost, *less* any discount for it being a standard model.

A summary of my problems with the current system (numbers redone to correct some mistakes):

1. Existing Traveller economics result in many starships (and especially my favorite ship) losing money -- and some losing a *lot* of money. Others make way too much money. Example -- a Free Trader can generate a monthly cash flow of cr44K. If the crew doubles up in staterooms, she can carry 2 more middle passengers per trip, adding (2 trips x 2 staterooms x [cr8,000-2,000 life support] = ) cr24,000 to the ship's monthly cash flow. Yet my poor Far Trader is bankrupt, even with a full load, losing cr67K per month. If the crew doubles up, she can carry 2 more middle passengers per trip, adding cr24k to the ship's cash flow.

2. In addition to the cash flow issues, too much money is more or less automatically available to creative players. Imagine the astute player whose Merchant character musters out with a Free Trader with 20 years of payments left. His loan payoff should be about cr23 million. (This the present value of the right to receive 240 more monthly payments, assuming a 5% interest rate). Yet, the ship is worth about cr30 million. By simply selling the starship, the character can turn a cr7 million profit. And how do new characters afford a share in this ship? They’d need to pay the current owner for the equity he has. So if 4 characters approached him to buy an equal share of the ship, each would have to pay him 1/5 of cr7 million! Or borrow the money from him.

3. If there are *no* payments, the starships can generate staggering cash flows. Our little Free trader can generate almost cr200,000 per *month* of profit if it has no bank note. This makes stealing a ship *far* more attractive than I think it should be.

4. This all means that the referee has to make rewards HUGE for adventures that require the ship to abandon its passenger/cargo route. A free trader making bank payments will lose about cr300k per month if it abandons its passenger route.

5. This system forces me into two unpleasant choices. I can either (a) screw my players at every turn by creating endless maintenance costs, or (b) let them quickly accumulate staggering wealth. I prefer to not be shoehorned into either role.

6. This system gives an unreasonable advantage to one profession.

7. Unless the GM buries the characters in wealth, it is effectively impossible for them to legally purchase a starship. A group would have to come up with 20% of the purchase price of a ship – mcr7.4 for the lowly Free Trader.

So here are my fixes:

1. Reduce the cost of all starships to 10% of current Book 2 prices. Reduce ship’s boats, fighters, etc., the same.

2. Banks will finance starships for 10 years at 10% interest. Normally, 20% downpayment required, though this will be waived if a suitable guarantor (wealthy patron for instance) is found. Payments will be cr13,215 per cr1 million actually financed (be sure to subtract any downpayment from the amount financed).

3. No down payment for merchants who get a starship via mustering out (their company guarantees the note, so no down payment necessary). Each additional starship benefit pays off 2 years.

4. Expenses:
</font>
  • Salaries – same as Book 2</font>
  • Refined Fuel – cr50 per ton</font>
  • Life support – cr250 per stateroom, cr10 per low berth</font>
  • Maintenance – 1% per year for years 1-20; 4%+ per year for years 21+; pay this monthly and assume it’s being taken care of in spare time.</font>
  • Insurance – Required by bank. 1% of new cost per year, paid monthly. For each cr1 million of new cost, monthly premium payment is cr850 per month. Annual deductible is 2% of starship new cost. Premiums go up *dramatically* if claims are filed (premium increases to 2% after 1 incident, 3% after 2 incidents, etc.).</font>
  • Union rules require that starships must allocate 1 stateroom per crew member, regardless of whether the crewmember wants the stateroom. This can be ignored, but union agents do occasionally check compliance by booking passage incognito. The fine is stiff – cr20,000 per violation.</font>

3. Revenue:
</font>
  • High Passage – cr2500; cr4375 for Jump-2; cr5500 for Jump-3 Note: High passengers do not get a free ton for luggage.</font>
  • Middle Passage – cr2100; cr3500 for Jump-2; cr4500 for Jump-3</font>
  • Low Passage – cr350; cr575 for Jump-2; cr700 for Jump-3</font>
  • Cargo – cr300 per ton; cr 525 for Jump-2; cr600 for Jump-3</font>
If you want to assume an average 90% occupancy rate, revise the above prices:

</font>
  • High Passage – cr2775; cr4875 for Jump-2; cr6125 for Jump-3 Note: High passengers do not get a free ton for luggage.</font>
  • Middle Passage – cr2350; cr3900 for Jump-2; cr5000 for Jump-3</font>
  • Low Passage – cr390; cr650 for Jump-2; cr800 for Jump-3</font>
  • Cargo – cr350 per ton; cr 600 for Jump-2; cr675 for Jump-3</font>
4. Used starships – Used purchase price is equal to starting price less depreciation. Average depreciation is 3% per year for the first 10 years. 2% for years 11-20. 1% per year thereafter. A dealer will pay about 85% of the used purchase price. Banks financed used starships for 15% interest (payments cr16,200 per month for ten years for each million credits financed).

5. A starship can be leased instead of purchased. No downpayment, typically, but if the characters look particularly shady, the finance company may charge a “handling fee” of whatever the characters can afford. Lease payments on a 10 year lease would be cr9800 per month per million dollars of value. Lease payments on a 20 year lease would be cr9000 per month per million dollars of value. At the end of the lease, the ship can be turned in or purchased for 70% of original cost if a 10 year lease, 50% of original cost if a 20 year lease.

6. Equity Tables
</font>
  • End
    of
    Year....Owed..........Value
    10.........0............700,000</font>
“Owed” -- how much it would cost to pay a ship off at the end of the indicated year.
“Value” -- how much the ship is worth to a buyer. If the ship is sold to a dealer, the dealer will only pay about 85% of the value listed.

These numbers are per cr1 million of original cost (reduce cost by standard design discounts on all calculations in my rules).

So you can see that a merchant who musters out with, say 6 years remaining on his ship has a very modest amount of equity (and very little if he sells to a dealer).

When you sell a ship, the bank must agree to the sale. The way you get their agreement is to pay them off when you sell the ship (agreement is typically conditioned on receipt of the payoff).

7. Examples

Assume a financed starship, paying monthly payments.

The Free Trader in this system now generates about cr6,200 per month after all expenses and salaries paid. Total expenses are about cr79,000 per month, so an adventure will have to pay more than cr85,200 if it takes the crew out of commission for a month.

The Far Trader does much better than in the old system, generating about cr11,000 per month, but only if it exclusively operates at Jump-2. If it operates at Jump-1, it loses cr32,500 per month. Total expenses are about cr94,000 per month, so an adventure will have to pay more than cr105,000 if it takes the crew out of commission for a month.

The Subsidized Merchant still needs a subsidy – it loses cr28,000 per month.

The Subsidized Liner still needs a subsidy – it loses cr6,000 per month on Jump-3 routes. On a Jump-1 route, it’s a disaster – it loses cr193,000 per month.

8. Hard Numbers

For referees who don't want to mess with all this math, here are the rounded monthly numbers for the two standard traders. Monthly cash flow will be equal to income, less operating expenses (fuel, life support, maintenance and insurance), less salaries (if applicable), less note payment (if applicable), less lease payment (if applicable). You will not have both a note payment and lease payment. Residual value is what you can buy the ship for at the end of the lease. All notes and leases are for 10 years.

Free Trader
</font>
  • Income: 88,500 (44,250 for End Month)</font>
  • Operating Expenses: 14,500 (6,250 for End Month)</font>
  • Salaries: 15,000</font>
  • Note Pmt: 49,500</font>
  • Lease Pmt: 36,500 (residual value 2.3m)</font>
Far Trader -- Jump 2 Route

</font>
  • Income: 108,500 (54,250 for End Month)</font>
  • Operating Expenses: 17,000 (7,750 for End Month)</font>
  • Note Pmt: 62,000</font>
  • Lease Pmt: 49,000 (residual value 3.2m)</font>
Far Trader -- Jump 1 Route

</font>
  • Income: 63,000 (31,750 for End Month)</font>
  • Operating Expenses: 17,000 (7,750 for End Month)</font>
  • Note Pmt: 62,000</font>
  • Lease Pmt: 49,000 (residual value 3.2m)</font>
9. 20 Year Old Used Starship Examples

Free Trader

</font>
  • Cost: cr1.87m</font>
  • Down Payment: 374,000</font>
  • Income: 88,000 (44,000 in End Months)</font>
  • Operating Expenses: 18,000 (9,500 in End Months)</font>
  • Note Payment: 24,000</font>
  • Lease Payment: 19,500</font>
Far Trader -- Jump 2 Routes

</font>
  • Cost: cr2.34m</font>
  • Down Payment: cr468,000</font>
  • Income: 108,500 (54,250 in End Months)</font>
  • Operating Expenses: 21,000 (12,000 in End Months)</font>
  • Note Payment: 30,000</font>
  • Lease Payment: 24,250 (cr1.638m residual value)</font>
Far Trader -- Jump 1 Routes

</font>
  • Cost: cr2.34m</font>
  • Down Payment: cr468,000</font>
  • Income: 63,000 (31,500 in End Months)</font>
  • Operating Expenses: 21,000 (12,000 in End Months)</font>
  • Note Payment: 30,000</font>
  • Lease Payment: 24,250 (cr1.638m residual value)</font>
Note: On used starships, the 20% downpayment is required for either a loan to buy the ship or a lease.

--Ty

2 jumps per week? :eek:

Do you mean 2 jumps per four week month, for 26 jumps in total for the year?
Put another way, one jump per two weeks.

Hey I'm not so nutso!

And welcome aboard tbeard1999 :D

My own fixes were in the same ballpark and for the same reasons. I was going to mention that I'd gone all the way to dividing by 10 when you posted your divide by 4 workup but I wanted to study it a little more, such as with the subbies, as you've now done. Most excellent work tbeard1999.

I'd be interested in how you handle a tangentally related issue, but I've started a new thread for it (here)

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
2 jumps per week? :eek:

Do you mean 2 jumps per four week month, for 26 jumps in total for the year?
Put another way, one jump per two weeks.
You are correct sir. I have made the appropriate change to the original post. 1 jump per 2 weeks, 26 jumps per year.

I meant to ask about that 26 jumps per year too. Do you handle annual maintenance differently then in your TU? No two weeks annual downtime and paid vacation for the crew? Or should it be 25 jumps per year?

Originally posted by far-trader:
I meant to ask about that 26 jumps per year too. Do you handle annual maintenance differently then in your TU? No two weeks annual downtime and paid vacation for the crew? Or should it be 25 jumps per year?
To make the spreadsheets easier, I just assumed that the annual maintenance was being handled all during the year. If you lose that two week period, it has a dramatic effect on the bottom line. (You still have to pay salaries and make a note payment). To compensate, you'd have to raise cargo and passage fees some to compensate -- and the numbers wouldn't be quite so neatly rounded off.

I thought maybe so, you'd said something about monthly maintenance that sounded like that. The only problem then is the (rather modern Terran centric) lack of an annual holiday for the crew

<Bang! Door slams open>

I am the Representative of the Starship Crew and Ancillary Workers Union, Local Branch 001, Terra. I'd like to discuss the lack of leave arrangements with all those present, pending a ballot on industrial action by my members. So, under tbeard1999's fiscal arrangements, no allowance is made for crews to have and take leave from their posts.

Given the nature of interstellar trade, my feeling is that there would be the following types of starship workers:

Salaried Crew Members
Those crew that receive salaries + shares of profit from trade. These staff would be contractually bound to work for their employer, giving them rights and redresses at the ship's port of registry <thoughts on this?>. Additionally these crew members would be entitled to take leave, at the ship operator's discretion, up to an agreed amount per year (? 4 calendar weeks - 28 days?). These crew members are paid the salaries shown in tbeard1999's calculations. Individuals might have to make their own pension arrangements if they work for a Free Trader or a small shipping line. Larger concerns may well have an occupational pension.

Casual or "Hired On" Crew Members
These would be crew members (or sometimes entire crews) hanging around the recruitment lounges at starports, looking for work. They are paid to work on a specific job or task for one (or more) specific journey(s). Individuals have to make their own pension arrangements, as they are not employed by an employer per se.

Working Passage Crew Members
These are crew members who need passage to the world the ship they are hired onto is going to. They receive no salary, work the ship's shift system but receive free food and board for the journey only. I ssupect they would be expected to work as many hours as posiible in every 24, so the ship operator gets some value from the individual whilst they're on board. Individuals have to make their own pension arrangements, as they are not employed by an employer at all.

Other considerations:
Number of hours work per week? Or would crews be expected to operate on a "job and complete" basis?
Healhcare & sick pay arrangements?
Overtime? Compulsory? Optional?

Originally posted by Gruffty:
<Bang! Door slams open>

I am the Representative of the Starship Crew and Ancillary Workers Union, Local Branch 001, Terra. I'd like to discuss the lack of leave arrangements with all those present, pending a ballot on industrial action by my members. So, under tbeard1999's fiscal arrangements, no allowance is made for crews to have and take leave from their posts. ...

Heh.

In the spirit of solidarity with the workers of the Imperium, I'll re-run everything with a 2 week vacation and see how that changes the performance. Just please don't strike...

Hmmmnnnn... That would make for an interesting adventure. The characters land on a starport and find that they can't take on any cargo until the Longshoremen end their strike. Will they use high priced scabs? Or will they just lose thousands of credits per day? Perhaps they'll even try to mediate the negotiations...

--Ty

Originally posted by far-trader:
Hey I'm not so nutso!

And welcome aboard tbeard1999 :D

My own fixes were in the same ballpark and for the same reasons. I was going to mention that I'd gone all the way to dividing by 10 when you posted your divide by 4 workup but I wanted to study it a little more, such as with the subbies, as you've now done. Most excellent work tbeard1999.

Thanks. I'm glad to see that someone else has been thinking along these lines. Heck, if we'd had Excel in 1977, this might all be canon now...

Have you had a chance to try your system in an actual campaign? If so, how did you like it?

--Ty

Oringially posted by tbeard1999:
Just please don't strike...
The Starship Crew and Ancillary Workers Union, Local Branch 001, Terra, have voted on your proposal to rerun your calculations to include 2 weeks leave. The membership has voted to allow this experiment to proceed.

However, they now wish to discuss a dental plan...
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Gruffty:
Individuals might have to make their own pension arrangements if they work for a Free Trader or a small shipping line.
Uh, pardon me, but I'm a member in good standing in the local, and it was my understanding as a free trader crewman that a portion of my dues were allocated to my pension program. It was for this benefit (and the desire to keep my skin intact...good call on hiring Aslan "shop stewards") that I joined the union in the first place...

(The Free Traders Benevolent League handles this function IMTU.
)

And, wouldn't those "casual" crewmembers be considered scabs?

Nope. Like with substitute teachers here in IL. Even if you don’t have a license and will never “retire” from the system you pay a small amount into the pension fund. Everybody pays, or else . . .

Couple of counter-thoughts:

Speculation has always made even far traders potentially profitable. Under Bk 2 rules (Last used by me prior to the T20 version being worked out), more than half the revenue was speculation, even tho' speculation was only 10-30% of hold.

Of course, this all but requires use of Bk7 CG additions or or later editions which have broker and trader skills.

Just wanted to note that I edited my first post to take the two week vacation/maintenance into account. I also added referee friendly summaries at the end.

--Ty

Originally posted by Black Globe Generator:
I'm a member in good standing in the local
Welcome, brother!

and it was my understanding as a free trader crewman that a portion of my dues were allocated to my pension program.
Indeed, brother! If that is the arrangement you have with your employer, then I feel we should ballot our members here on Terra for such an agreement from our local operators/employers. Of course, such arrangements are not universal (sic) although we, as a Trades Union, would wish to see such arrangements become the norm over time.

It was for this benefit (and the desire to keep my skin intact...good call on hiring Aslan "shop stewards") that I joined the union in the first place...
Of course, we are all with you, brother! However, with such Free Trader operators, not all of them offer such positive benefits to their employees. Indeed, some even see a pension as a hindrance on their profits....

The Free Traders Benevolent League handles this function
A most honourable, ancient and esteemed union! Please send my kindest regards to the League's general secretary!

Right, lads, pies and brown ale are on sale at the back of the bar. How! Sigg, man! It's your roond! An' divant feed wor whippet ya pork scratchin's, man, he'll get ahll blerted!

Back