• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fixing the Magrail Gun (and other madness).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their Judge Dredd treatment for D20 was what gave me hope for MGT.

It appears that it's the fluke.

What about Paranoia XP? Widely regarded as the best edition of Paranoia that's been written, and with several online reviews to back that statement up.

Apparently Conan has it's fans too...

I'm puzzled about the idea of Traveller: Star Trek or Traveller: Babylon 5. They are of such different character from each other, and the underlying concepts of technology implied by Traveller just don't fit, particularly with Star Trek.

Which is why the Traveller core rules have attempted to be more generic, particularly in it's approach to technology. Oh and 'Traveller' is simply a trademark moniker, that is owned by Mark Milller. Currently, it's licenced to Mongoose.....

Which is why the Traveller core rules have attempted to be more generic, particularly in it's approach to technology.

And therefore destroyed what made it Traveller in the first place.

If they wanted a truly generic system - like GURPS; call it MURPS - then they should have written one. Then we could have had MURPS:Traveller, MURPS:B5, etc, and we wouldn't have this problem.

Well, you'd like to think it's destroyed.

The way I see it, it's more a realisation of Traveller's original potential to be able to be used for multiple settings.

Can you all take this "discussion" elsewhere please. I think we were having fun playing with ideas to fix the Magrail gun and whatever (you know, the topic of this thread) before you lot came in here spoiling for an argument back on page 5. Unless you imagine it comes under the "(and other madness)" bit of the title. And a mod or two are mixed up in this borderline threadcrapping troll fest so could you move the posts to their own thread? If you feel you must continue it.

I remember back in the mists of time getting Space Opera and thinking "wow - look at all the cool guns from sci-fi - why can't these be in Traveller?"

Since one of the earliest editorials in JotTAS was how to build a laser pistol from the existing weapons tables, Traveller has always had the potential to have other sci'fi weapons adapted to it.

I used Traveller for Star Wars - no blaster pistol, so make one up, no light sabre, so make one up.

MgT Merc seeks to add a few new weapons that aren't part of the CT OTU - so what?

Don't use them in your setting if you don't want them.

But I'd rather have stats that I can adapt. I like what Border Reiver has done with the mag rail - why not rewrite other weapons in a similar manner if you don't like them?

More choice is good.

What about Paranoia XP? Widely regarded as the best edition of Paranoia that's been written, and with several online reviews to back that statement up.

Apparently Conan has it's fans too...

Paranoia XP is not "really" a mongoose product, in the same way that WFRP2 was not a Black Industries product, nor MegaTraveller a GDW product...

It would be like MWM writing Mongoose Traveller... no question of canonicity, despite the Mongoose label.

As for Conan... yes, it has its fans. So do the other mongoose lines, including RQ... for a variety of reasons.

From where I'm standing that is a Mongoose label on it. How they chose to redevelop that game was up to them, same as it was with Traveller. As far as I'm concerned, all these properties were written in consultation with the IP owners anyway. So if you don't like Mongoose Traveller, then blame Marc Miller, I guess.

From where I'm standing that is a Mongoose label on it. How they chose to redevelop that game was up to them, same as it was with Traveller. As far as I'm concerned, all these properties were written in consultation with the IP owners anyway. So if you don't like Mongoose Traveller, then blame Marc Miller, I guess.
'

DING ! Give the man a cigar. Yes, exactly.So to really hate on this product, especially from an "it isn't CT veiwpoint", you really really need to be spewing venom on MWM as well.

Luckily, I rather like it (despite being a grognardy CTfanboi), so I'd rather thank him. It's way less of a step away from CT than TNE, or even MT, ever was.

That's why I like it as well. It is not a radical jump from CT. The extra bits like Life Events and all that worked great in outlining a backstory. Ship design and task resolution were not multi-page essays on structural and probability engineering.

It goes next to the CT stuff on the shelf. Just like t20 goes next to d20 future and d20 modern. Just like GT goes next to Gurps. MT, TNE, etc, go with the CT stuff for Content, but they have different rules systems as far as I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back