• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

[Freelance Traveller] SPECIAL REQUEST FOR ARTICLES - Sept/Oct 2024

FreeTrav

SOC-14 1K
On Sat, 15 Jun 2024 20:50:27 -0400, I wrote on the TML:

>Folks, I have two special requests for the issue that will go into design
>and construction (Sept/Oct) as soon as the next issue (July/August) goes up
>for download:

I'm doing article accumulation for September/October 2024 now. I still wish the following:

>First, as the theme for the Sept/Oct issue will be "Ancients, Droyne, and
>Chirpers" to go along with the "Ancients" theme of TravellerCON/USA,
>articles suitable for that theme are urgently and eagerly desired. No
>limits other than what Freelance Traveller usually imposes (e.g., no
>explicit or grauitous «ahem» or violence). The sooner the better, and the
>soonerer the betterer :)

I have reviews of Cheese Weasel's Droyne Coyns, of Classic Traveller Alien Module 5: Droyne, and of Mongoose's Secrets of the Ancients (note the plural). A review of the CT Secret of the Ancients (singular) would definitely be welcome, as would an article - which need not be a review, but could be - that discusses the CT and Mongoose adventures together.

>Second, whilst I can be fairly certain that Paul Anuni will end up
>reviewing the Classic Traveller adventure _Mission on Mithril_, I would
>very much appreciate it if someone would review the Mongoose/MJD _Mission
>to Mithril_. TC, you can guess why I'm so certain.

OK, not for September/October - Paul gave me the Droyne Alien Module review, but did note that Mission on Mithril is definitely in the queue. I still would like a review of Mission to Mithril, but Droyne/Ancients/Chirper stuff is definitely a higher priority.

When is the deadline? How many words do you need for an article? I have something brewing in my head, but it may not be done in time.

When is the deadline? How many words do you need for an article? I have something brewing in my head, but it may not be done in time.
Unless you can get it to me in the next 24 hours, it won't be done in time. I'm working on "paste-up" and trying to find a couple of last-minute articles. Don't worry about size; that's my problem. I'm targetting release for next Saturday or Sunday.

If you like, related to the Secrets of the Ancients module, I commissioned my friend Tom Semple to draw the alien vessel in the module, the replacement for the Ancients Base and Ancients Ship in Adventure 12 (they are combined into one ship in the Mongoose update). The illustration is here. My buddy would be thrilled to have it in a Traveller 'zine, and I think it's a great supplement, since the first thing the players will ask is, "What does it look like?"

Unless you can get it to me in the next 24 hours, it won't be done in time. I'm working on "paste-up" and trying to find a couple of last-minute articles. Don't worry about size; that's my problem. I'm targetting release for next Saturday or Sunday.
What is you release schedule for the next two issues? More to the point what is the submission due date for the next two issues.

If you like, related to the Secrets of the Ancients module, I commissioned my friend Tom Semple to draw the alien vessel in the module, the replacement for the Ancients Base and Ancients Ship in Adventure 12 (they are combined into one ship in the Mongoose update). The illustration is here. My buddy would be thrilled to have it in a Traveller 'zine, and I think it's a great supplement, since the first thing the players will ask is, "What does it look like?"
Link's broken in that thread; would you be so kind as to send me a copy of the pic via email (editor@freelancetraveller.com) with a reference to this thread and your buddy's name for proper credit?

What is you release schedule for the next two issues? More to the point what is the submission due date for the next two issues.
Generally, the planned release date for any issue is the last weekend of the month before the cover date - that is, last weekend of February for the March/April issue, last weekend of April for the May/June issue, and so on. Under the "most idealest" of ideal circumstances, all articles are in my hot little hands - or at least in the editor's email folder - two weeks before that. This universe is not the '"most idealest" of ideal circumstances', so in general I'm happy to get it before the issue goes out, with the caveat that I can always choose to hold an article for a later issue - for example, if you send an article that focusses on religion in some way, I may choose to hold it for a planned Theme Issue on religion.

Because I don't pay for submitted material, and because People Have Lives Beyond Traveller, I tend not to be "gluteolithic" about it; for example, because my own life has been lurching from crisis to crisis recently, I've sighed and decided to target this coming weekend, 8/31-9/1, as the release date for the September/October Theme: Ancients/Droyne issue.

Nope, I can't get it done that fast :) But I'll try to knock out something for the next issue.

Back