• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Gauss Pistol Damage

As an add to my previous post on Mythbusters they also showed how until Hollywood Invented the Pulley Cable Knockback that in the movies people just fell down when shot .
This again would indicate to me that we created the Knockback because movies make us expect to see it .
And i can not remember ever seeing arguments before that about how unrealistic it was to just fall to the ground when hit

I spent several years as a Police Officer, and I can tell you that the idea that a bullet will knock somebody over is bunk. If somebody falls down when shot, it is because the wound has disrupted their critical systems in some way, causing damage to nerves, blood vessels supplying vital muscle groups, or muscle damage.

Bullet size has almost nothing to do with effectiveness. Bullet design and composition determines how effective a round is in wounding. The 5.56mm round from an AR15/M16 is a very small bullet, but its center of gravity is far behind the center of the bullet, causing it to yaw on impact. The bullet further has a tendency to fragment when it yaws 90 degrees, resulting in multiple wound channels and extreme tissue disruption.

a 185 grain hollowpoint bullet tends to be more effective than a 230 grain round nose bullet, because the hollowpoint's wounding mechanism (expansion) is more effective than the round nose's (pure penetration).

Velocity, round size, penetration, and other factors by themselves do not increase lethality of a bullet. How the round behaves when it enters a human body, and how disruptive it is to tissues, is what kills people.

MrMorden,

Don't waste your time. Really.

Everything you said and explained is in the pdf link I posted and yet ...

... they still prefer their Hollywood fantasies involving pulley cables!

As my sainted Uncle Soapy said just before they threw the switch; Never smarten up a chump!

Have fun,
Bill

Back