• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Have you ever created your own setting?

Thanks, but that only identifies white and blue worlds. The poster map generator also determines black, orange, purple, and green.

I figure that:

White = Water Absent
Blue = Water Present
Green = Agricultural
Purple = Exotic Atmosphere
Black = Something
Orange = Something Else

I must be misunderstanding you.
When I click the button with the Key Icon, I see:

Yellow = Rich & Agricultural
Green = Agricultural
Purple = Rich
Grey = Industrial
Orange = Corrosive/Insidious
Black = Vacuum
Blue = Water Present
White = No Water Present

Interesting, I don't see the other colors under the key.

I must not have a setting correct on the main map. Thank you for your help!

(Ah, one must set the main map to "More World Colors", of course! My quest is complete.)

Last edited:
Hey all,

Not really posting here anymore, though I do sometimes stop by to dig up quotes and old posts for reference.

Long story short: 1. The focus of this forum is ultimately The Third Imperium, and that's not really my thing. 2 Forum rules define asking the scope of a thread to be narrow or focused as "bullying" -- and since I often want to have discussions that don't involve all 40 years of Traveller development or assume that if you didn't fight in the Traveller Mailing List wars you don't know what you're talking about, I am, by definition, a bully. I'll pass, thanks.

When it comes down to it, this single thread is the only one I'm ever going to feel truly at home in.

On my blog I'm posting original settings for Classic Traveller, so if anyone has any write-ups/maps/images, let me know.

As for my setting -- I began working on it. Work exploded. (I'm a writer, I have work, work comes first. Happily, my work is creative. That means my creative hobbies fall by the wayside.)

Also, my players in my Monday Night Group are still having a blast with my Lamentations of the Flame Princess campaign. So finding time for a second campaign is really off the books.

Finally, in terms of the work I've done so far: I realized that the one-interesting-world-after-another picaresque structure of original Traveller ("vanilla Traveller, I call it) is a structure I've already played with in my LotFP game. I've decided that when I settle down to build a subsector again it will be a politically/socially structured setting with lots of interstellar conflicts baked in, and a more cohesive world view. Which means not rolling the worlds randomly, but really dreaming up a subsector setting first. This will mean redefining interstellar travel, perhaps, technology and weapons, and so on. Rather than the episodic/Dumarest/Demon Princes structure, it will be more like The Expanse or Dune with several central conflicts the PCs/Players can grab onto.

But that's for later. Work waits.

I've been going through new Traveller stuff and my old stuff...

My campaigns (as my skills developed in the late 70's - early 80's) became set in the Frontiersmen Kingdom, now known as the Farmanni Rekké, 1200 parsecs Trailing of Sol.

I've been going through new Traveller stuff and my old stuff...

My campaigns (as my skills developed in the late 70's - early 80's) became set in the Frontiersmen Kingdom, now known as the Farmanni Rekké, 1200 parsecs Trailing of Sol.

You are a lot far away from Terra and the Imperium than I am. Mine is about 140 parsecs or so to the Rimward of Terra.

You are a lot far away from Terra and the Imperium than I am. Mine is about 140 parsecs or so to the Rimward of Terra.

I saw Traveller as a way to create the stories I had in my head, from years of reading science fiction by authors like Asimov, Silverberg, Gordie Dixon, Poul Anderson, Heinlein, Lloyd Biggle...being widely separated from canon locations fed into that.

I did ransack canon quite a bit, and MTU does have Earth humans seeded by a branch of the Ancients I call the Doonu Cá (People of the Dawn) who kept themselves separate and protected the region during the Ancient War. Their population was diminished, but their aim was accomplished.

The Donnu Cá cut themselves off from contact about 4000 years ago in the time scale of this region. Their closed sphere is about 30 parsecs across and at the Spinward edge of the region. Their tech is similar to that we see described in accounts of the Ancients.

Along the Trailing/Coreward rim of the Sphere is a 17 system enclave of a cousin race called the Doonu Doin (People of the Day), who do have some contact with the less advanced races, like mankind, and occasional contact with their more advanced cousins. Their tech is about halfway between max Imperial and Ancient.

Part of my supposition is the Doonu Cá got seed stock from Earth and other worlds to Spinward, and used cloning. Surveys over the last 3 centuries have shown identical DNA heritage in the populations of worlds having little to no contact with each other due to distance.

I have a stack of notes about 12" thick to go though from back then. The article referenced below was at the top of the pile, making it likely the last thing I was working on 20 years ago.

The current year in the Farmanni Rekké is the 759th of the Rule of the House of Merrick (about 1103 Imperial). While there have been challenges, Clan Merrick has remained on the throne. I found a list of the rulers (kings and queens) from back when, too.

I also found a note; "LC has the adventure notebook." Looks like all the game play scenarios, I gave to a game master I trained to run the campaign when I stopped playing He had his own take, his MTU was about halfway back to the Imperium.

Last edited:
It sounds like a pretty nice set up. You can get some idea about mine from looking at the Tech Level thread I am working on, and other bits and pieces in the Lone Star Forum.

I saw Traveller as a way to create the stories I had in my head, from years of reading science fiction by authors like Asimov, Silverberg, Gordie Dixon, Poul Anderson, Heinlein, Lloyd Biggle...being widely separated from canon locations fed into that.

I did ransack canon quite a bit, and MTU does have Earth humans seeded by a branch of the Ancients I call the Doonu Cá (People of the Dawn) who kept themselves separate and protected the region during the Ancient War. Their population was diminished, but their aim was accomplished.

The Donnu Cá cut themselves off from contact about 4000 years ago in the time scale of this region. Their closed sphere is about 30 parsecs across and at the Spinward edge of the region. Their tech is similar to that we see described in accounts of the Ancients.

Along the Trailing/Coreward rim of the Sphere is a 17 system enclave of a cousin race called the Doonu Doin (People of the Day), who do have some contact with the less advanced races, like mankind, and occasional contact with their more advanced cousins. Their tech is about halfway between max Imperial and Ancient.

Part of my supposition is the Doonu Cá got seed stock from Earth and other worlds to Spinward, and used cloning. Surveys over the last 3 centuries have shown identical DNA heritage in the populations of worlds having little to no contact with each other due to distance.

I have a stack of notes about 12" thick to go though from back then. The article referenced below was at the top of the pile, making it likely the last thing I was working on 20 years ago.

The current year in the Farmanni Rekké is the 759th of the Rule of the House of Merrick (about 1103 Imperial). While there have been challenges, Clan Merrick has remained on the throne. I found a list of the rulers (kings and queens) from back when, too.

I also found a note; "LC has the adventure notebook." Looks like all the game play scenarios, I gave to a game master I trained to run the campaign when I stopped playing He had his own take, his MTU was about halfway back to the Imperium.
Is your ATU one that essentially takes place in the OTU, just far far away from the OTU Charted Space setting or are their quite a few differences even with what you've borrowed?

Like did the humans from Earth in your ATU have a different path compared to the ones in the OTU?

Is your ATU one that essentially takes place in the OTU, just far far away from the OTU Charted Space setting or are their quite a few differences even with what you've borrowed?

Like did the humans from Earth in your ATU have a different path compared to the ones in the OTU?

There are many similarities, which I thought necessary for the folks who played the game with me, lots of parallel development. Part of the rationale being the Doonu Cá took humans, animals and flora from Earth and other planets of known space, into our recorded history, last visiting Earth in the early 14th Century. It is more like the differences between English culture and German, the beings are familiar, but slightly off expected.

Part of the reason why the lingua franca is very similar to Anglic.

After that last visit, the Doonu Cá withdrew into their sphere of space, with automated ships on endless patrol to keep others out. They have become the stuff of legends amongst the sophonts of Farmanni space.

Starting with about half the same set of the sophonts of the OTU, my ATU followed a similar path of scientific discovery.

One of the major "minor" races are anthropomorphized pangolins, the K'Linaar. They usually keep to their home planet, but one major NPC in my stories is Bibabebgah, aka Bib, who is a retired scout (16 years), scholar (4 years) and merchant (12 years), who is the pilot on a 150 dT long range survey ship. His human friend Sir John Ashley (8 years a scout, 12 years a field researcher, which is when he met Bib and obtained Ann) is navigator. The 3rd member of the crew is Ann, an advanced robotic contact and sampling unit, which can also do basic drive maintenance.

It is currently the year 759 of the rule of the House of Merrick, which is about 1103 Imperial.

Last edited:
Hmm do you have plans for characters from your area of space to somehow misjump and run into It's Charted Space?

Have humans from Earth ever run into your setting's area of space?
It sounds like a pretty nice set up. You can get some idea about mine from looking at the Tech Level thread I am working on, and other bits and pieces in the Lone Star Forum.
I've read your ATU's bits of history about the hyperdrive and such and I'm wondering, how has the addition of hyperdrive changed your setting's history?

Is it like, because of there being both hyperdrive & jump drive, that the current era in your ATU is quite different from OTU's canon? Llike was Earths destiny in your ATU pretty different?

I saw some mention of Asian and Hivers and such so is it like the aliens are the same but the overall setting is quite a bit different?

What are ship weapons & defenses, and personal weapons & defenses - for militaries and such - like in your ATU considering how much Piper's work has influenced you?

I've read your ATU's bits of history about the hyperdrive and such and I'm wondering, how has the addition of hyperdrive changed your setting's history?

Is it like, because of there being both hyperdrive & jump drive, that the current era in your ATU is quite different from OTU's canon? Llike was Earths destiny in your ATU pretty different?

I saw some mention of Asian and Hivers and such so is it like the aliens are the same but the overall setting is quite a bit different?

What are ship weapons & defenses, and personal weapons & defenses - for militaries and such - like in your ATU considering how much Piper's work has influenced you?

I am not ignoring your question, I just need to be on a different computer to answer adequately.

Because my Sector is well to the Rimward of the OTU Solomani Sphere, the setting history for the OTU does not have a lot of affect on it. As the star systems are further apart, 3 to 4 parsecs in not unusual, the initial Terran expansion was toward the Core, rather than the Rim. With my initial hyperdrive ships traveling at one parsec a month, they were better for long-range exploring rather than faster communication with the Jump Drive ships. The major difference would be that the surplus Hyperdrive One ships became quite cheap compared to Jump Drive ships and allowed smaller groups to head out, in this case towards the Rim. As the fuel requirements in my ATU for hyperdrive are considerably less, a given hull size will carry a lot more, albeit slower. My power plant fuel requirements are also considerably lower, being based on what the fusion of deuterium will supply in terms of energy, so a cubic meter of heavy water goes a long way. I am assuming two bursts of expansion. One with the development of the hyperdrive and the second with the conquest of Terra by the Imperium. Hyperdrive-2, capable of a parsec a week, helped to fuel the second wave of expansion.

Basically, the whole idea for the Outrim Sector is to get away from the restrictions of the OTU and Imperium. For the most part, planetary populations are going to be smaller as well. Some of them are splinter groups from splinter groups. I put my Sector to the Rimward of the Ahriman Sector on the Traveller Map. That would put the Solomani Rim Sector well over 120 parsecs away.

Is it like, because of there being both hyperdrive & jump drive, that the current era in your ATU is quite different from OTU's canon? Like was Earths destiny in your ATU pretty different?

Basically, I am going with that it is not that much different, simply because of the time and effort required to work up a long back story. As my area is so far to the Rimward, the Imperium is to a degree a legend or at least viewed as being of no consequence. This means that the current era of the Imperium is not that big a factor. As I am basing this on the Cepheus Engine and Classic Traveller, I am not worrying about the entire Rebellion, Virus, and Imperium collapse issues. I am putting this at roughly 1100 Imperium dating, and leaving it at that.

I have the Aslan included to give my Space Vikings someone to raid without causing too many problems with the humans in the sector. I view the Aslan as genetically modified Terran lions, initially chosen by the Ancients for their apparent social society, without full consideration of the pure carnivore food requirements, the territorial imperative, or the actual interaction of male lions over pride control. Essentially, an experiment that did not work out. I also have the Aslan population per planet as fairly low, because of the carnivorous meat requirement. I figure 2 to 3 Aslan per square mile of total world land surface as a dense population. I do not think that the game fully understands what a large carnivore requires in terms of space for food animals.

As for other aliens, I do not think that the Hivers are involved, as again, they are a very long way away. I do have Droyne present, but keeping a very low profile, as they are working with a few of Grandfather’s great-grandchildren who saw how things were progressing and got out before the major war started, and also that Grandfather was not aware of. I do have ruins of the Norton Bald Space rovers, along with Terran flora and fauna that they picked up along the way. I am still debating some “lost colonies” of Terrans that they might have planted. The Krell were around, and also scattered Terran flora and fauna about, especially aquatic creatures that fascinated them a lot, as their planet was quite arid. There are more ruins out there, just not sure yet who left them, or if that can be told. Again, think of the classic Norton books of the Solar Queen series, and some of her other books. Then there is also the leakage from other universes to deal with, and one planet with Bermuda Triangle colonists, if you could call them that. Note too that the leakage to other universes works both ways. A ship might find itself in a D & D universe, or Piper’s universe, or visiting John Carter’s Barsoom.

Piper was writing before the laser became a major thing, so I am including that to a degree. I am not using Andre Norton’s sleep rods or blaster, even though the sleep rod would be handy to have. There are no personal energy weapons, especially of the plasma or fusion variety. Laser target designators are available, but no personal laser weapons. Space ships do carry fairly large lasers for anti-missile work and close-range fighting. Ship missiles are not small, and normally are going to have nuclear warheads if used by the military. Ranges are going to be a lot shorter, along with detection ranges. While I am not a radar expert, I do have a fair understanding of what radar detection requires in terms of volume of space scanned in a given amount of time. Therefore, active detection ranges run into the hundreds to low thousand of miles, not light-seconds. Passive bearings on an actively radiating ship are not a problem, and by careful maneuvering, range may be established, but it takes time. I just am not that much a fan of space combat, however. One of my big problems with space combat is no one seems to consider the issue of debris from destroyed ships. It they are in orbit, landing and takeoffs from the planet become a big question as are you hit with masses of orbiting debris. In open space, that stuff is traveling at very high rates of speeds in who knows what direction. Essentially, space combat makes space travel a lot more hazardous, even if you are not being shot at. If someone decides that it too restrictive and uses the whole range of space weaponry, that is their option. I share Gary Gygax’s view that rules are guidelines, not commandments written in stone. I knew Gary, and he was never a fan of rigid rules.

For personal weaponry, it is your standard slug throwers, but with a bit more range of damage from them, along with the option of what I view as heavy hunting rifles. In the current rules, neither the Cepheus Engine nor Classic Traveller, is there provision for something like a .600 Nitro Express or a .577 Martini-Henry cartridge, both capable of doing massive damage to a human target with a solid hit. I actually prefer the combat system used by Don Featherstone in his Skirmish Wargaming book, as a single die roll covers hitting the target and the damage done. I do need to come up with a table or system for animal damage. I do have contra-gravity equipment, but it is expensive, so what would be viewed as old-fashioned internal combustion and steam-powered vehicles are still in wide use. Some planets simply will not allow the import of equipment that they cannot either maintain themselves.

Last edited:
What advances have been made in hyperdrive tech in your setting timerover? How far have they been pushed techwise?

I have the Aslan included to give my Space Vikings someone to raid without causing too many problems with the humans in the sector. I view the Aslan as genetically modified Terran lions, initially chosen by the Ancients for their apparent social society, without full consideration of the pure carnivore food requirements, the territorial imperative, or the actual interaction of male lions over pride control. Essentially, an experiment that did not work out.

This setting really begs for the k'kree ...

Back