• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

help with Ancients ship design

Here's a science-based handwave on antimatter batteries, from Wikipedia.

The reaction of 1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter would produce 1.8×1017 J (180 petajoules) of energy (by the equation E=mc²). This is about 134 times as much energy as is obtained by nuclear fusion of the same mass of hydrogen (fusion of 1H to 4He produces about 7 MeV per nucleon, or 1.3×1015 J for 2 kg of hydrogen). This amount of energy would be released by burning 5.6 billion liters (1.5 billion US gallons) of gasoline (the combustion of one liter of gasoline in oxygen produces 3.2×107 J), or by detonating 43 million tonnes of TNT (at 4.2×106 J/kg).
2kg is a very convenient example for the "antimatter brick". I'll assume (for no reason) that the brick is, amazingly, 100% efficient.

1 joule is 1 watt per second, so 180 petajoules is 180 petawatts per second, which is

180 000 000 000 000 000 watts per second, or

180 000 000 000 MW per second.

Assuming we have a continual average draw of, oh, 100 MW, then that charge would last for

1 800 000 000 seconds, or

57 years.

Convenient.

A 1000 MW draw (i.e. 4 EP) would last nearly 6 years.

Finally, I'd rate the bricks like this:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Antimatter brick: 6cm x 4cm x 10cm

TL24 AM Brick: 250 EP-month capacity, scalable.
TL23 AM Brick: 100 EP-month capacity, scalable.
TL22 AM Brick: 50 EP-month capacity, scalable.

Antimatter pod: 1/2 ton

TL21 AM Pod: 25 EP-month capacity, scalable.
TL20 AM Pod: 10 EP-month capacity, scalable.

Antimatter plants: 1 EP-month capacity, scalable.

TL19 AM Plant: 1 ton.
TL18 AM Plant: 2 tons.
TL17 AM Plant: 4 tons.</pre>[/QUOTE]

I like the universal power adapter idea - and I've just had a thought, could the blcak globe machinery be adapted to do this somehow?

Great work with the antimatter pods rob [cut/paste]

I like the antimatter idea, but given the scenario (TNE:1248) and the time the ship has been encased in ice I think it would get in the way of the story. So here's my semi-final design. Thanks to everyone for the enthusiastic input!

Starship (Ancient, Modified Wedge)

Tech Level: H/17
Size: Medium (100 tons)
Streamlining: Streamlined Airframe
Jump Range: Variable*
Acceleration: 6G
Fuel: 12 tons
Duration: 4 weeks
Crew: 1
Staterooms: None
Small Cabins: None
Bunks: 6
Couches: None
Low Berths: 1
Cargo Space: 20 tons
Atmospheric Speeds: NoE 1475kph, Cruising 4425kph, Maximum 5900kph
EP Output: 24 (1 excess)
Agility: 6
Initiative: +6 (Agility)
AC: 22 (+6 Agility, +6 Armor)
Repulsors: None
Nuclear Dampers: None
Meson Screens: None
Black Globes: 5 tons (USP9)
AR: 6
SI: 100
Armament: Particle Accelerator (USP2)
Main Computer: Model/9 (High AI)
Sensor Range: Model/9
Comm Range: Model/9
Cost: N/A
Other Equipment: Air/raft

*This ship has a psionic teleportation drive. (Travel is virtually instantaneous.)
A telepath is required to operate it. The maximum range is 1 parsec per every 4 ranks of Telepathy.
It uses 1 ton of fuel and 6 points of psi strength per parsec.

Sigg & Andrew: I ought to consult both MT and FFS for antimatter guidance.

Choosing not to go antimatter is a safe route.

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
FF&S has antimatter plants from TL17-21.
Yup, I mentioned them earlier ;)

The MT power outputs are a lot higher than the FF&S ones.
Going by the real world figures rob found I'd go with the FF&S ones, which I can convert across to T20 easily enough...

Can I make a couple of further weapon suggestions for very high TLs:

a neutron accelerator cannon - this generates a beam of neutrons which are fired at relativistic speeds at the target

antimatter particle accelerator - does what it says on the tin

spacetime disrupter canon - fires a beam which warps spacetime at the target location

Heh, can't help but mention - the whole "players find a ship of alien and vastly superior maufacture" scenario brings back memories of the first episodes of Blakes 7. The ships computer should be a psionic AI like Zen! Hehehe! What tech level did the Ancients reach, anyway? 21? 25? I can't remember offhand and my MT and CT books are up in Newcastle...

Good question. The MT charts go to 24, I think, but I've heard of even higher. Pocket universe creation, for sure, wherever that lay.

I found this inspiring. I am trying to come up with one that will work for my game as well. The challenge is so that the ship does not upset the apple cart. One way could be to disable the weapons that once existed. At Tech level 19+ the systems could be beyond any current reckoning for repair. It could also have the uncomfortable side effect of attracting government attention. Could turn out to be one of those ships that is more hassle than it is worth.

What size ship are you looking for, Kurega? I've got a TL18-or-so jump-boat here, appx 35 tons. It has only one weapon, but it's powerful enough to stave off corsairs. It's nice, but small, and as you said, irreparable.

My group somehow managed to sell it for a huge sum.

My major concern was throwing off the balance too. But I think it will be worth it, considering the adventure possibilities.

Limitations I was considering up front include;

- no/low fuel
- security systems (vs. intruders)
- safety systems (controls for some systems keyed to specific operators)
- language barrier with AI
- totally unfamiliar controls, designed for another race
- some systems non-operational due to lack of maintenance
- unavailability of replacement parts

If you think about it, it could be years before they get it up to speed.

One idea I had was making it a small craft. A TL18+ launch would still be cool making the reward more tangible but still limits its operational usefulness. It could have black globe armor and super spiffy technology but the fact remains that it is a 20 ton launch. It may be a 7G nearly impossible to catch launch but it needs to dock!

Back