• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Here's a Psi chart I've worked on...

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
I worked on this chart for expanding Psionics a while back. Some of it is self-explanatory. Like Translate - if you can read someone's mind, you can Translate their thoughts. I never got around to finishing it, so a bunch of Cost and Time Required are missing. But this is an extension of the chart from The Traveller Book and includes powers and ideas from Mongoose, MegaTraveller, The New Era, T4, Alternity, Aeon Trinity, and even novels which have Psionics of some sort.

atpollard worked with me on these. I had some fleshed out and even submitted several.

If you come up with Cost and Time for a power, please post them here so some other Travellers can use them

Also, here's an article on my blog for other ideas, too.

More 'flavor' for your Psionics

Attachments

• PSIChart.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 16
I worked on this chart for expanding Psionics a while back. Some of it is self-explanatory. Like Translate - if you can read someone's mind, you can Translate their thoughts. I never got around to finishing it, so a bunch of Cost and Time Required are missing. But this is an extension of the chart from The Traveller Book and includes powers and ideas from Mongoose, MegaTraveller, The New Era, T4, Alternity, Aeon Trinity, and even novels which have Psionics of some sort.

atpollard worked with me on these. I had some fleshed out and even submitted several.

If you come up with Cost and Time for a power, please post them here so some other Travellers can use them

Also, here's an article on my blog for other ideas, too.

More 'flavor' for your Psionics

How do you define "Clairalience" and "Photokinesis"?
As for "Photokinesis", I am not assuming it is visual scrying because the "voy" in Clairvoyance covers that

and, I "need!" a character to get special so I can give them "Danger Sense (Premonition)"
Then, any time things get dangerous, I can tell them they suddenly hear dramatic music rising to a crescendo in their head...or, "there's a chello hum as the music goes low and tense"...

One of my favorite discussions about Psi and TK was in Babylon 5.
The character "Strongheart" was talking to "Talia", and she was all about moving big things...

He corrected her, saying PsiCorp wanted people who could manipulate small things.....like a capillary or artery. Someone is making an appearance or a speech... And suddenly, has a massive stroke or heart attack...

They never came out and said it, but the idea was firm and obvious

Space Opera has a very comprehensive psionics repertoire. Great descriptions, with range, time, and stamina cost to use. There's also a Lensman style psychokinetic crystal in the game which amplifies and extends these talents.

As for "Photokinesis", I am not assuming it is visual scrying because the "voy" in Clairvoyance covers that

and, I "need!" a character to get special so I can give them "Danger Sense (Premonition)"
Then, any time things get dangerous, I can tell them they suddenly hear dramatic music rising to a crescendo in their head...or, "there's a chello hum as the music goes low and tense"...
Clairalience - a form of psychic gift that involves having extrasensory experiences through your sense of smell.

Photokinesis - The ability to mentally manipulate light.

Precog is a troublesome psi ability.
Depends how the Referee handles it. Describing something vague happening is usually the best way to go.
The difficult part is how time works in your game universe, because this is a lot like time travel.

Some examples:
1. What is foreseen can be averted. You see X shot and killed, but you might be able to stop the assassination from happening (give a warning, stop the assassin before they can act, etc.)
2. What is foreseen is inevitable. You see X shot and killed and that's going to happen and nothing you do can prevent it. (Warning goes unheeded, you either can't stop the assassin or if you do there's another that succeeds at the foreseen time, etc.)
3. What is foreseen is inevitable, but only as it was seen. You see X shot and killed, and something visually identical to that event will happen. You can't stop it from happening, but you can change what happens. The bullet wound might be special effects, the victim can be replaced by a body double or clone -- that sort of thing.
4. What is foreseen may be mistaken. Either it's a false vision, or it will be averted through someone else's actions.

Last edited:
You forsee a gloved hand giving a device to a woman's hand. You don't see what the two people look like, but there's a pattern on the glove that looks familiar, and an elaborate ring on the woman's hand. And the device is the one you've been looking for!
It can be so vague that they get almost no information. You want to keep the Players guessing, right?

One of my favorite discussions about Psi and TK was in Babylon 5.
The character "Strongheart" was talking to "Talia", and she was all about moving big things...

He corrected her, saying PsiCorp wanted people who could manipulate small things.....like a capillary or artery. Someone is making an appearance or a speech... And suddenly, has a massive stroke or heart attack...

They never came out and said it, but the idea was firm and obvious
I think that's Microkinesis in MgT2+.

Now I'm wanting to add "Break Fourth Wall: Hear background music" as a psionic power

Now I'm wanting to add "Break Fourth Wall: Hear background music" as a psionic power
"Theme Music" {#3 below} is a shtick in the Tales From The Floating Vagabond RPG.

One of the more memorable aspects of the game is a system of shticks that players can choose from, including:
  • The Rambo Effect: The player can dodge automatic gunfire at close range (and only at close range).
  • The Trenchcoat Effect: The player can pull any mundane item out of their trenchcoat, but only if a different party member has already brought up the need for that item.
  • The Rodgers and Hammerstein Effect: The player obtains a personal soundtrack that can warn them of danger or other upcoming events. Alternatively, it can give everyone on their side a bonus to morale.
  • The Roy Rogers Effect: The player can make any trick shot they can imagine, eliminating all cover their target may be behind. Of course, they can't actually kill anyone except at high noon...
  • The Doolittle Effect: Allows the player to communicate with animals, all of which start out being friendly. Of course, since they're all friendly, they follow the player everywhere...
  • The Flynn Effect: Allows the player to swing on a chandelier, vine, or bullwhip without worrying about it breaking... or needing an attachment point at the upper end. Or needing to find one, for that matter.
  • The Valentino Effect: About what it sounds like. Everyone of the appropriate gender is crazy about the player.
  • The Schwarzenegger Effect: Allows the player to operate without wound penalties... as long as nobody ever sees the player receive first aid.
  • The Newton Effect: Allows the player to stop anything that contradicts their understanding of the laws of physics from happening around them.
  • The Escher Effect: Allows the player to act in a way that contradicts the laws of physics.
  • The John Doe Effect: Gives the player 'one of those faces'. People constantly confuse the player for an old friend.
  • The Merlin Effect: Allows the player to 'just know' a lot of information about people upon meeting them, such as their name, address, what they had for breakfast and so on.

Back