• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

ACS Compact Format

Jump
Maneuver
Power Plant
Jump Fuel
Power Plant Fuel
Fuel Scoops
Fuel Purification Plant (if present)
L-Hyd drop tank couplings (Cr10,000 if present)
L-Hyd drop tanks (if present)

That's a great breakdown, Another. I should be able to control the render order... and yeah I can move life support.

re Luxury -- I hadn't been paying attention, but it's 30 person-days for 1t. If we assume 2 weeks' transit time, then that could be 2 people. Same for Adaptable. The Beowulf design is even looser with time: it allows 7 days per high passenger Luxury Life Support. So 1 ton = 4 high pax.

p44...
Luxury Life Support allows marketing of High Passages (4 for 7 days).

The very short description on page 87 says:
Luxury required for High Passage staterooms.
I think this includes Luxury staterooms, which really aren't that expensive -- they've got a fresher and more space. That's a nice premium -- for example, it could help drive up passenger demand, which pulls in a larger middle pax ticket price. But it's not necessarily "High Passage", which requires extra-nice stuff. Hence the high cost and extra ton.

(What is it? Silver serving sets? A deluxe Starbucks espresso robot?)

Yeah, I need to update some of my designs a little bit.

Last edited:
re Luxury -- I hadn't been paying attention, but it's 30 person-days for 1t.
In CT Beltstrike, 1 ton of life support is 150 person/weeks of crew life support.

You're talking about 1 ton of luxury life support being 4 person/weeks. :eek:

In other words, high passengers consume 37.5x as much life support as crew do (when looking at equivalencies across versions).

In CT Beltstrike, 1 ton of life support is 150 person/weeks of crew life support.

In other words, high passengers consume 37.5x as much life support as crew do (when looking at equivalencies across versions).
it is better quality air!

It also represents consumables I assume: fresh foods, perhaps things that take more space and care than an MRE. Those ice sculptures take a fair amount of space, then then melt and you need a new one. Every 4 weeks...

But yes, it does seem higher. But in the end, it is a game mechanic: luxury cost vs steward cost. Traveller is full of games within games. It is not intended as a realistic simulation.

re Luxury -- I hadn't been paying attention, but it's 30 person-days for 1t. If we assume 2 weeks' transit time, then that could be 2 people. Same for Adaptable. The Beowulf design is even looser with time: it allows 7 days per high passenger Luxury Life Support. So 1 ton = 4 high pax.
T5.10 tinker a bit (B2 p87 Table C):
Skärmavbild 2022-04-20 kl. 22.09.png
1 Dt luxury life support is 30 person-days. With some standard margin that is one person for one trip. I may be too conservative...

In T5.09 it was 1 Dt lux life support for 10 people, so a noticeable difference.

The Beowulf has one Lux stateroom for one high passenger, hence one ton of lux life support. One ton for one person.

Last edited:
^ Yes, you are apparently being too conservative. See the design note in Marc's Beowulf design: 1 ton of Lux LS for four people. II,44:

Luxury Life Support allows marketing of High Passages (4 for 7 days).
And the footnote:
30 Person-Days could support up to 4 High Passages for about a week of travel.

I note that Life Support is "stretchable" (IIp189) so perhaps that explains the math.

And yeah -- regarding the T509 Luxury LS supporting 10 people -- I was operating off of those T509 rules, so I'm still scrambling. I may have to double the Lux LS for some ship designs.

Last edited:

T5 is in that ballpark but lower -- 1 ton gives 42 p/w, 2 tons quadruples that. And the value was tuned as the rules matured!

On the one hand, we won't be taking Luxury Passengers to do some belt prospecting.

On the other hand, it's not just the stuffed pheasant. It's the sterling silver forks etc.

Last edited:
Life support in T5 is not life support in CT.

It typically takes up one or more tons, which is the most expensive part.
Luxury LS is then on top of that.

Last edited:
^ Yes, you are apparently being too conservative. See the design note in Marc's Beowulf design: 1 ton of Lux LS for four people. II,44:
And yeah -- regarding the T509 Luxury LS supporting 10 people -- I was operating off of those T509 rules, so I'm still scrambling. I may have to double the Lux LS for some ship designs.
I'm still partially using T5.09 rules too, hence using 1 person = 30 person-days.

The Beowulf has only one Lux stateroom, hence only one High Passenger?

It typically takes up one or more tons, which is the most expensive part.
Luxury LS is then on top of that.
Is it? I have assumed you only need one type of life support per person, i.e. either Standard or Lux, not both.

I'm still partially using T5.09 rules too, hence using 1 person = 30 person-days.

The Beowulf has only one Lux stateroom, hence only one High Passenger?
I assumed not, but it looks like you are correct!

T5.10 p89:
1. High and Middle Passengers. Allocate total tonnage for High Passage (Luxury) and Middle Passage (Standard) accommodations.

Wow.

I have assumed you only need one type of life support per person, i.e. either Standard or Lux, not both.
That's a very good question. Usually that overlap is ignorable, but I can see edge cases where it might matter (Yacht).

The Beowulf design DOES seem to support Lux on top of Standard:
Starship Operations 21 C Life Support. 600 Person-Days supports 5 Crew and 9 Passengers for up to 42 days.
9 passengers = 8 middle + 1 high. AND the High Passenger also needs a ton of Lux.

But that doesn't really affect designs -- the overlap with standard is usually considerable. The update from T509 to T510 is more significant.

Last edited:
Back